Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my lil pup is about 14.5 weeks old. she's super cute, and has super cute ears as of now, but i feel that later on when she's older they could be a health issue/ might look kind of goofy/ off. her left one sits kind of differently than her right one.

just curious on when a good age to crop her ears would be...? and if there are any different kind of styles, names, types, etc..

any kind of information, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm super new on this site, and she is my first pit, and i just want to make sure i do everything correct.

(and for all future questions/concerns/assumptions..... NO, I AM NOT CROPPIN HER EARS TO FIGHT HER! haha, i love her way to much )

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I prefer cropped over non cropped thats why I cropped. Its best to get them done before 4 months of age but some vets will allow up to 6 months. So start looking for someone now, Id ask some local breeders who they use best to get a referal to someone who does a great job then to just chance it. I dont really know of any health benefits I kow some say that cropped dogs get less ear infections although out of allmy dogs { 1 being left with natural ears} the one out of my bunch that gets ear infections is one that is cropped. Really its just prefrence some like the cropped look while others are against it. If you get them done just check the vet for refrences you usually only get 1 shot at this so if they mess it up thats it, make sure you know what you want too , helps to bring a picture with you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya, i def. agree, it really is more about self pref. more than anything.

i love pits all around, so i think they all look gorgeous.

as for the cropping, i think it looks good on some pits, n not so great on others. But i still think that all pits for the most part are all gorgeous!! haha

And i was mainly planning on croppin her ears, if her ears seemed like they were gonna grow out funky or in different directions or something. But after a few days now, they seem to be growing equally and the same now, and they're pretty even for the most part! so i don't think i'll be gettin her ears cropped soon, but we'll see. she's still got a lil bit of time left. I'll def. make my decision in the next week for sure

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm really loving the 'fighting crop'. Does anyone have pics and info on post op care for this style of crop?

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
@ OP (clears throat) battle crop ... I don't know a fighting crop.. there are primarily 3 for the APBT... the battle crop, short crop, and show crop, the long crop is for boxers, and dobbies and danes but some people have added to the APBT crop list.
I Keep ears but the dogs I've had cropped were show cropped.. JMO its the only one that looks good on an APBT.

:goodpost: @ Elvisfink!!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
.... :stupid: battle crop- sorry (blushing).

Jip, really like the battle crop. The more I hear, the more I like it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
id take a look around the site at other peoples dogs and pictures in magazines or whatever you have find a style you like and ask them what style it is. I personally think show crop is a bit long , I prefer between the show and short { medium crop to a point to be exact}, but if the dog has the right build { usually males I like the short crop}

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks a million for the suggestion. The pup is male- so I think the battle crop would be perfect. But my husband likes the show crop. I guess we'll have to compromise.
Or if I'm lucky, I'll get the battle crop

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
could compromise and go between your picks lol , do short crop :) lol good luck with your decission.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks a million for the suggestion. The pup is male- so I think the battle crop would be perfect. But my husband likes the show crop. I guess we'll have to compromise.
Or if I'm lucky, I'll get the battle crop (wink, wink)

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
love the battle crop myself. theres a few famous fighters without crops so its " to each their own".

dont know why theres such a stigma to crop, ive seen a lot of famous fighters without crops and imo crops dont make them look any tougher or be any tougher

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
love the battle crop myself. theres a few famous fighters without crops so its " to each their own".

dont know why theres such a stigma to crop, ive seen a lot of famous fighters without crops and imo crops dont make them look any tougher or be any tougher
Most pit dogs did not have their ears cropped as it wasn't practical and left too much of the inside exposed, which could have been fatal in combat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.