Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a short clip on the Russian Silver Fox study.

I have read numerous papers about these foxes. This is just a quick summation of what they are doing.

It is particularly interesting for me as an APBT owner. Within three generations of selective breeding the foxes had significantly less aggression. Within eight generation the foxes actually responded positively to humans.

This is why it will be hard to preserve the true APBT. We no longer (legally) select for the traits that actually made the APBT what it is. Three generations of unproven breeding can make a big difference.

I personally use my pits as catch dogs. So, I actually am not fond of too much DA. I do like a dog that will go hard and not give up even if it means loosing its life in the process i.e. game. When I breed my dogs I select dogs that will catch and hang on no matter what. You can't be sitting on a 250 lb boar and not trust your dog to hold on. That hog will kill you if it gets a chance.

My dogs are mostly game lines, but my best dog is actually half gottyline half Bolio. She will hold on while my jeep/eli (and many other lines) let go and "cur" out. So anyway, I find it interesting how quick you can shape a line of dogs behavior by selective breeding.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
:goodpost:

Awesome Video - it kinda proves theory of evolution as well. Which is another whole animal.

I can see your concern as far as hog hunting goes.
Sound familiar Candra? Our discussion one late evening on how temperament is passed on generationally? Good stuff, but the waters are still a little murky to me:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The thing that gets me is when thug/morons breed APBT's to have human aggression. It doesn't take long and you have really messed up the line of dogs.

Unfortunately, there are people who breed for HA, and it shows. Game-bred dogs are often tail-tuckers, or overly friendly. I've seen game lines corrupted pretty quick though. The tuff-guy lines (gotty/razors edge) have been messed up even worse. I am not saying all, or even most. Just some of the dogs from these lines have been specifically selected for HA. It is a shame.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
We were actually just talking about this in another thread... It doesn't take long to ruin good dogs and good lines. Which is another reason why people who don't understand genetics and the traits passed down through selective breeding shouldn't be breeding PERIOD. It's scary to think how many people breed and don't have a handle on or even the slightest clue about genetics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts