Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I was taking the garbage out this evening & nice younger couple that seemed to be new to the neighborhood (like Sean & I) w/ 2 pitbulls that looked to be Bully (very nice looking bullies I may ad) were calmly walking down the street & greeted them as they past by... Dogs behaved quite well & seemed eager to say hello, though I have a firm rule to never approach anothers dog I don't know for multiple reason & sheer respect for the owner.

My other neighbor whom I have said hello to but hadn't formerly met until today, was walking toward from the opposite direction passing by the two bullies with her Albino Doberman... Needless to say, the pitbulls showed severe DA, one more so than the other & the lady became quite furious because the dogs weren't under control very well & one was wearing a loose collar, almost slipping through (so she said).

Anywho, the lady stopped & said hello, to vent & to calm her nerves I think & finally to acquaint ourselves - she was very nice. And we started talking about pitbulls, how she didn't really care for them, etc. etc... I told her I own two pitbulls myself but can respect her opinion & that pitbull owners should all be ready & aware of the traditional attributes of the breed then we changed topics & started to chat a bit in a neighborly manner... Finally we managed along the pitbull subject again on other 'experiences' she's had. I listened calmly & heard what she had to say, then explained pitbulls aren't typically human aggressive but they are dog aggessive... That there is more to the breed than just DA. That they are capable of doing great things when well socialized & trained & apologized on behalf on responsible pit bull owners for her poor experience. I told her I have specific ways of handling my dogs responsibly & that she needn't worry about my two. I told her about Lily's & Lex's personalities & backgrounds, how Lex came from a byb & after learning more about the breed sought out Lily. She saw my two standing in the window & complimented my dogs despite her experience.

Afterward we talked about the neighborhood, how she's met a pit lab mix & that it's her son's dog & a very good one. That she'll consider rescuing dogs in the future but not for awhile considering she's still got her doby babies. I continued to compliment her dog & found out she actually has two - also found out she's been stereotyped herself being a doby owner...

Anyway it was nice to make a new friend & I hope this can be a start for something positive for the pitbull, not sure what. But I think random acts of Kindness & understanding go far & maybe be another key to being on the road as an ambassador for the breed (not specifically but in general)

Anyway I'm rambling now but thought it would be a nice story to share ;)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
That's great Lex.....glad your chat ended well. I educate as well but only if I feel I will get through to them.....otherwise I don't waste my breath ;) Sounds like you got through to the doby owner. I love people who own stero typed dogs and talk crap about pit bulls. I ran into some Rottweiler owners who cringed when I metioned how I love pit bulls.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Congrats on the accomplishment today! I have no idea where your knowledge extends to so i will just say if you are on an ambassador route i do hope you have enough knowledge to act as one. Again not trying to insult you since i know nothing about you or your dogs, however one thing that aggravates me to no end is these "ambassadors" that are full of bs and have idea what theyre talking about.

Either way, hopefully youll have no issues with your neighbors!

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That's great Lex.....glad your chat ended well. I educate as well but only if I feel I will get through to them.....otherwise I don't waste my breath ;) Sounds like you got through to the doby owner. I love people who own stero typed dogs and talk crap about pit bulls. I ran into some Rottweiler owners who cringed when I metioned how I love pit bulls.
Me too :):woof:. I think it's important to live by example & sometimes verbally, less is more. I know it's important to show how excellent the breed is but I also think it's important to not bash one another over the head with a belief. It's the same as religion, in a sense, to me.

Like bible thumpers only push ppl further instead of leading by example. Or a teen living in a strict environment, it's natural to rebel & we're only human. ;)

Congrats on the accomplishment today! I have no idea where your knowledge extends to so i will just say if you are on an ambassador route i do hope you have enough knowledge to act as one. Again not trying to insult you since i know nothing about you or your dogs, however one thing that aggravates me to no end is these "ambassadors" that are full of bs and have idea what theyre talking about.

I am always learning, very open to being educated & am in no way trying to sound 'big headed' per se. Just thought it was a nice positive story to share. ;) It was almost like fate, me being there in that moment was meant to be?

As for being an 'ambassador' imo it's about being responsible & compassionate to the history of the breed.

As for my neighbors I have a few personal issues of my own with them (mainly disrespectful children) but other neighbors also do. That said, I've owned my home nearly three years now & haven't had one complaint about my dogs :) - so I think that says something in itself

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Way to go lex, its always nice to have neighbors who actually listen :) Our neighbors are great but we have one guy around the corner who has an oppinion on the breed lol { he always compliments my dogs but stays back and voices his oppinion of them} I have had chats with him and he acts like he gets it sometimes but he is really just one of those guys I try and avoid there is no point wasting my breath lol , at least he is nice about his oppinions and isnt screaming at me to keep them muzzled or anything lol , just frustrating when you cant even get a word in cause he 'knows it all' lol. Hopefully since she has been discriminated against with her breed she can see how it is with this breed as well , I hope all your neighbors can benefit from you and your knowledge on pitbulls . changing 1 persons view is well worth it :)

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Good story. Isn't it nice when someone actually listens to what you have to say when it comes to our breed? It probably helped that she also owned a stereotyped breed. Which I had no idea dobies could be Albino. I bet that dog is gorgeous!

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Way to go lex, its always nice to have neighbors who actually listen :) Our neighbors are great but we have one guy around the corner who has an oppinion on the breed lol { he always compliments my dogs but stays back and voices his oppinion of them} I have had chats with him and he acts like he gets it sometimes but he is really just one of those guys I try and avoid there is no point wasting my breath lol , at least he is nice about his oppinions and isnt screaming at me to keep them muzzled or anything lol , just frustrating when you cant even get a word in cause he 'knows it all' lol. Hopefully since she has been discriminated against with her breed she can see how it is with this breed as well , I hope all your neighbors can benefit from you and your knowledge on pitbulls . changing 1 persons view is well worth it :)
TY! What made it even better, while we were hanging out & talking (post pitbull incident). A teen came walking down the street with HIGHLY uncontrolled labadoodle. The thing was barking, carrying on chewing at it's leash, one hot fluffy mess acting MUCH worse than the pitbull toward her dog. I couldn't help but snicker to myself...

Good story. Isn't it nice when someone actually listens to what you have to say when it comes to our breed? It probably helped that she also owned a stereotyped breed. Which I had no idea dobies could be Albino. I bet that dog is gorgeous!
It is :) - its nice to get the chance to vicariously mold others, if that makes sense? Anywho the dog is STUNNING but she said they're visually & physically sensitive to the sun like ppl & need sunscreen. Gorgeous though, they come in a few other colors as well, I never knew until I saw her walking one day. Very calm sweet dog though :)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts

No worries KM. I think the regulars who are here all the time are more than qualified to be ambassadors to our breed. Its the people who join here for a quick minute or a few months to ask a couple stupid questions and never to be seen or heard from again that I would worry about ;)

Reactions: Lex's Guardian

·
Registered
28 Posts
No worries KM. I think the regulars who are here all the time are more than qualified to be ambassadors to our breed. Its the people who join here for a quick minute or a few months to ask a couple stupid questions and never to be seen or heard from again that I would worry about ;)
Well said! :):goodpost:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thats good that you were able to reach her despite her having a bad experience. I do not consider myself an ambassador for the breed yet only because I do not know everything I should know if people have questions. I'm learning a little more everyday. I just socialize my dogs and et people see how loveable and well mannered they are.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts