Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have never seen a dog pull in person, just photos and on youtube.:poke: I have a question for all the people involved in this sport. I have came across some photographs of a pulling competition that was described as a "intro to pulling". The pull was for dogs who had never pulled and for people who have never been to to. That to me suggest a learning experience for both dog and crowd. A few photos where of the same Pit Bull during different pulls. In the first this little bitch was in a pull harness that even I could tell was way to large for her. She looked scared tail tucked white eyed and all. The second photograph was her pulling with a collar and leash only, again tail tucked to the underbelly and white eyed.:confused: Now the poster of the photos said that she enjoyed the event and even won it. People commented on her in a collar and leash only pull. He replied that the owner made the decision to have her pull without a harness and to use the collar and leash. The poster also said that the highest weight was only 80 lbs and on wheels. This must not have included the cart and car tires weight because in the photos she is pulling hard way harder than 80 lbs. Way harder than my Pits on our walks and I'm 180 lbs. I have checked rules in several books and none address collar and leash. They all have rules about the proper fitting harness, but nothing RE; collar. Am I worng in thinking this owner and his poster friend are dumb?:curse:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I lack knowledge on the sport, but my common since says no this is bad and really bad for the first timers.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
This sounds to me like a group of people who put on an event but had no clue about the sport. Dogs should be trained for WP not just thrown in a harness and expected to know what to do. And IMO no dog should ever pull in just a collar, that's just asking for a neck injury. I have been training my dog for WP for quite some time now. We joined a local group we practice with and have also done demos for the dogs sports expo we had a few months back. IMO training is very important so they know what to do and don't get scared or discouraged. My dog actually loves doing it. If I say, "you wanna work?" He starts dancing around like a spaz and will run right out to the tire.
This is one of the best training pics I have of Dosia

you can see he's so into what he's doing, very focused and tail totally wagging :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now that dog look like he is enjoying his pull tail nice and high and head down. Thank you 4 your reply.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
i would never even think about letting one of mine pull with just a collar.. like Kg said.. just askin for a neck injury

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you is there anything in any rule books that I could qoute or point out to this person? I would show photos but I don't know how to post them on this forum.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
fyi.. might wanna edit any cursing out of your first post

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
even a regular walking harness is not good to pull with.. a collar is a def no-no

·
Registered
68 Posts
This sounds to me like a group of people who put on an event but had no clue about the sport. Dogs should be trained for WP not just thrown in a harness and expected to know what to do. And IMO no dog should ever pull in just a collar, that's just asking for a neck injury. I have been training my dog for WP for quite some time now. We joined a local group we practice with and have also done demos for the dogs sports expo we had a few months back. IMO training is very important so they know what to do and don't get scared or discouraged. My dog actually loves doing it. If I say, "you wanna work?" He starts dancing around like a spaz and will run right out to the tire.
This is one of the best training pics I have of Dosia

you can see he's so into what he's doing, very focused and tail totally wagging :)
bro, thats so awesome. i praise you. haha

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Good observation on the white eye, not many note that as uncomfortable body language. :) And everyone above pretty much said my words, pulling on a collar could lead to so many bad things, possibly even a collapsed trachea.

My boy and I practice with Krystal, the dogs really do enjoy it if you do it right. You've got to make them confident in their abilities, if I ever had a dog that wasn't able to pull something, I'd push it along just so they don't get discouraged. :)

·
Registered
776 Posts
I started Brock out slow , just a walkin harness and a light tire in the back yard .. a bribe here and there and lots of encouragement . Once i knew he liked it and would pull for me , i got him a good harness . A real , well designed harness can be bought for around 70$ and id s super investment even if its just for exercise. Alot of people have thier dogs pull around a milk jug fulla rocks so the dog can get used to the noise behind them but i didnt have to . I have heard of people training thier dogs with some sort of negative reinforcement but have never needed more then some food here and there to get him goin.
Brock tries to put the harness on himself he loves it so much and loves the time i spend with him when we work!
here is a link to one of his 1st pulls. He is young yet and i am only letting him get used to it .. once he looks like he may have to strain , he is finished till his health thesting is complete at 2 !

·
Registered
68 Posts
I started Brock out slow , just a walkin harness and a light tire in the back yard .. a bribe here and there and lots of encouragement . Once i knew he liked it and would pull for me , i got him a good harness . A real , well designed harness can be bought for around 70$ and id s super investment even if its just for exercise. Alot of people have thier dogs pull around a milk jug fulla rocks so the dog can get used to the noise behind them but i didnt have to . I have heard of people training thier dogs with some sort of negative reinforcement but have never needed more then some food here and there to get him goin.
Brock tries to put the harness on himself he loves it so much and loves the time i spend with him when we work!
here is a link to one of his 1st pulls. He is young yet and i am only letting him get used to it .. once he looks like he may have to strain , he is finished till his health thesting is complete at 2 ! Oak Harbor Weight Pull and Show 4 Sept 2011 4th pull - YouTube
that's so damn awesome. omg. haha.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a pit who just turned a year and half and I was told that this is the perfect time to start training her. She loves to do physical things. I tried to get her into agility like my 12 yr old pit but she wasnt too into it. What do i do to start the process..and where can i find a good harness that isnt going to completely break the bank?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts