Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new here and have a question, a year ago we adopted an 8 week old pit, she has been wonderful and gets along with my goldens and all 3 cats and the ferret, my concern is introducing a new puppy into the house. My 1 golden retriever is 12 and getting on in years and we have always had 3 dogs so I am sure in the not to distant future we will be getting another puppy. I am a little worried since my friend brought her new puppy to my house and Lucy went nuts I reprimanded her and she calmed right down, but I would like to know the best way to introduce a new dog. I have had dogs in my house for 18 years and this has never been an issue in all those years. Thanks in advance!http://www.gopitbull.com/images/smilies/woof.gif

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
Have you ever had an APBT in your group of 3 dogs before? The reason I ask is these dogs are natural a Dog Aggressive breed and not meant to be in multi dog homes unless separated. As puppies sure they are great, but close to 1-2 years old they tend to become DA and then you either find out by a fight or a accident that you are unprepared for.

Introducing a puppy is still the same. This breeds natural tendencies is what will cause issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes Lucy is one of our 3 dogs, Lucy is an APBT the other 2 are golden retrievers Lucy is 2 yrs old now and the dogs play but Lucy has never hurt my other animals and she is the baby in the pack, my other dogs are 6 and 12 years old. She is also ok with the neighbors dogs as long as they are outside the house she walks well on a leash and has never been aggressive with strange dogs while on leash. I will add we have 1/2 an acre with a 6' chain link fence in the backyard and they all play really well together. She was also fostered with 4 other dogs of different breeds

·
Registered
25 Posts
One thing that alwys helps is, Before you bring the pup home and let them come in contact with eachother you should get something from the pup that has its cent. maybe a blanket or something of the sort. Bring it into close contact with the others and make sure they can snif it. This will get them useto the smell and will help out a bit when introducing them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts