Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Introducing my newest addition, Annie.

First part of the story has been deleted because it offended some members.

Fortunately, the volunteer that was at the shelter that day notified Love-a-Bull of Annie's condition and she was bumped up on the list due to her dire situation. Less than a week and a half later I was called out to the shelter as the trainer to evaluate her and do the meet and greet with Annie's potential foster home, who I now consider good friends of mine.

Annie's evaluation around people and other dogs went so phenomenally that directly afterwards I called one of the organizers for the group and told her that even if this foster home wasnt a good fit, we had to do something to get her out of the shelter ASAP.

The meet and greet did go well though, and she went home with the foster family of 2 parents, 3 kids, 2 pit bulls and 2 small dogs.

She started learning how to be a dog, going on outings, adoption events, and even getting to meet Victoria Stilwell

Throughout the 2 1/2 months that the foster home had her, she was adopted out and returned twice, both times due to the resident dog in the household being aggressive to her. It became harder and harder for me to let her go, even though I wasnt even living with her. I spoke to one of the organizers of the rescue, and told them that if Annie was still available by the time I got my then foster Gidget adopted, I was interested in fostering her.

Finally, last saturday, Gidget was adopted by a gentleman who takes her running daily, and loves her very much. Directly after the adoption, I drove about 45 minutes to go get Annie due to an emergency foster needed situation- so that foster would have space for a dog who was coming into rescue that urgently needed a foster.

I had recently moved a week before, and was still in the process of moving into my new apartment. Stinger has been very stressed by the whole ordeal, and I'm sorry to say that I stressed him out even more by instead of returning with Gidget, bringing a strange dog into the apartment. It was very late at night and I was by myself, so the intro was very quick and not by the book at all.

The first night went well, and she settled in like a charm (despite lots of stress gas- P.U.!)

Last night I took her to my group classes with me to test her out- I've been looking for a demo dog for my training business, and she seemed to fit the bill. She did phenomenally well, it was like she'd been born to do this job, but I resigned to give it a few more weeks to get past the honeymoon period.

This morning I got a call from several different people with the rescue saying that Annie had gotten a very nice application from someone, and that they needed a decision on whether or not I was keeping her.

I hemmed and hawed, and hugged her and cried and called friends to try to help me with the decision, but in the end I called and told them that there was no way I could give her up now, and risk the chance of never finding a dog like her again.

So with all that said, welcome to the family Annie!!!

Here are some more recent pictures where you can see the progress she's made.

And one from today

Jess

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
wow way to go with the rescue, she is beautiful!!!!! love that last pic complete turn around. ya'll rock!!!

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Wow that made me want to cry! My girl Helena had demo mange, I am her original owner but we fought that battle and it was a hard one. Thanks for saving this girl, she is beautiful and looks so happy!

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
You have a wonderful heart! I love her! She already looks much better!! Can't wait to see more pictures!

·
3,272 Posts
demo dogs always have a place in my heart, is sad bulldogs are so suseptible to demo and went it goes untreated it gets out of control, here are a few before and after of a few of my recent demo rescues i've had within the last year, and i completly know what you mean about not letting them go which lol is why i still have cheza and she is the best dog on the face of this earth

toboe before

toboe after

lydia before

lydia after

cheza before at only 6 weeks old :(

cheza after

and this is cheza now with my little craked out terrier/terror princess killa, i may be baies but i think she turned out well

like i said demo dog touch my heart so thank you thank you thank you THANK YOU for rescueing this baby!!!!!!!

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Beautiful story and beautiful dog! Great job in rescueing her!! :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Aww I love her I have a soft spot for white pitties and Dogos :) Congrats on the newest addition!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Amongst all the bad in the world....just to know that there are ppl like you guys....makes all the terrible disappear. You are good people.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
she is beautiful and made a great recovery .. thumbs up to you and all who helped her

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
This is my baby at her worst, I only got a couple pics of her like this.

As an adult, she still never got a good thick coat

We tried nu stock but it was such a messy nightmare!

·
3,272 Posts
ya SGH cheza demo is back and doc is talking about she may be one of the dogs that never get rid of it, she also has a staff infection now, but where working on it, hopefully this doggy stays happy and healthy. the last pic looked like she had a real nice coat

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
ya SGH cheza demo is back and doc is talking about she may be one of the dogs that never get rid of it, she also has a staff infection now, but where working on it, hopefully this doggy stays happy and healthy. the last pic looked like she had a real nice coat
That sucks, poor Cheeza. It took us til Helena was a year and a half. She went one round of ivermectin treatments and it got better so I didn't get a skin scraping, bad move. So we put her back on the ivermectin for another couple months and then did two negative skin scrapes. We haven't had a reoccurence of it. Surprisingly because she's had some stressful time's when she was hurt after surgery. They say it can come back when they get stressed. That is also why I had her spayed young, because it can also flare up when they go into season.

Her coat looks great in pics, but when you look at her up close you can see the hair is sparse and you can see the skin. She has no hair on the backs of her legs either, she has a baboon butt. haha

·
3,272 Posts
That sucks, poor Cheeza. It took us til Helena was a year and a half. She went one round of ivermectin treatments and it got better so I didn't get a skin scraping, bad move. So we put her back on the ivermectin for another couple months and then did two negative skin scrapes. We haven't had a reoccurence of it. Surprisingly because she's had some stressful time's when she was hurt after surgery. They say it can come back when they get stressed. That is also why I had her spayed young, because it can also flare up when they go into season.

Her coat looks great in pics, but when you look at her up close you can see the hair is sparse and you can see the skin. She has no hair on the backs of her legs either, she has a baboon butt. haha
ya i did the full 3 month tx and she did well, but then i left her at a friends house which stressed her out and she flaired up again all down her belly. and now we've been fighting that it for the last few months, lastest skin scrap we ran cytology and looks like staff we got her on 2 diffrent antibiotic and ivermectin again and hopefully she clears up

to OP sorry for high jacking your thread

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies

The last picture makes her look like she has more hair than she does, we're having a hard time tackling the demodex. The previous vet had her on oral ivermectin but we took a look at a slide of the skin 2 months later and the mites are still alive and happy. We've obviously eliminated a lot of them because her hair has come back at least partially (she still has some really light patches on her back and legs). We've moved to mitaban dips in hope that it will eliminate the mites. Today she managed to chew a bald spot on her leg in a matter of minutes, now it's all red and inflamed looking :(. The secondary skin infections are still clearing up as well, her skin smells horrible. Unfortunately the mitaban dips make her feel really crummy for about 2 days, but we have to get rid of the mites...it just makes me feel bad to see her feel like that :(

Jess

·
Silver VIP Member
1,069 Posts
What an amazing story! I got tears in my eyes reading this!
Having rescued my own two, I can only be grateful every single day that my two didn't have such bad problems. Keira only had an infection and really dry skin... And Caesar is great. I am just amazed at how bad some of these dogs can look and how wonderful they look when they get help. :) Thank you for giving Annie a home!

·
3,272 Posts
Thanks for all the replies

The last picture makes her look like she has more hair than she does, we're having a hard time tackling the demodex. The previous vet had her on oral ivermectin but we took a look at a slide of the skin 2 months later and the mites are still alive and happy. We've obviously eliminated a lot of them because her hair has come back at least partially (she still has some really light patches on her back and legs). We've moved to mitaban dips in hope that it will eliminate the mites. Today she managed to chew a bald spot on her leg in a matter of minutes, now it's all red and inflamed looking :(. The secondary skin infections are still clearing up as well, her skin smells horrible. Unfortunately the mitaban dips make her feel really crummy for about 2 days, but we have to get rid of the mites...it just makes me feel bad to see her feel like that :(

Jess
try nu stock with the ivermetcin that was how i got lydia cleared up, she took longer then any dog i've fixed before, just make sure if your doing a full body nu stock to have her wear a e collar for awhile after so she doesn't like it off and make herself sick

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Good job !!!! Love it. Kudos on the rescue

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
you are fighting the good fight hang in there!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone, after a week and a half (almost 2 weeks) of living with us she finally has her new name. I have an aunt named Annie so it wasnt the best fit. Her name is Karma now :). Here's hoping she's got some good karma coming her way, she deserves it.

Jess

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.