Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sioux City, Iowa, City Councilman Aaron Rochester was instrumental in a successful campaign last year to ban pit bulls within city limits. Among the most damning evidence he presented in support of the ban was animal control department reports showing that pit bulls were the breed most apt to bite people.

Rochester had a bit of egg on his face, then, when his own dog -- a yellow Labrador retriever named Jake -- bit a neighbor and was deemed vicious by the Sioux City animal control department. Rochester maintained that Jake, "a great watchdog," was only trying to protect his young daughter and a friend, who were playing nearby. But the bite required five stitches, and the victim maintained he'd done nothing to provoke the attack.

A city code requires that vicious dogs be euthanized for the public's safety. But Rochester appealed to Sioux City's police captain, Pete Groetken, for clemency.

"I think it will be very difficult for me to reverse a decision by [animal control] unless there was strong evidence that there was a need for the animal to protect the owner's property," Groetken told the Sioux City Journal before making his ruling. The ruling came last week in the form of a certified letter to Rochester: Jake is vicious.

Rochester says he will once again appeal in hopes of saving Jake, this time to a special arbiter appointed by the city manager. In an interview with the Journal, he stressed that even the victim of the attack, who has declined to be named, "doesn't want anything to happen to Jake. He does not want him put down."

Since Groetken made his decision, Sioux City pit bull owners have urged officials to repeal the ban, in part because Rochester's case has shown that pits aren't the only breed capable of biting people. (The ban allowed those who already owned pit bulls to keep their dogs, provided they complied with other regulations, such as mandatory registration, but forbids future pit bull ownership in the city.)

-- Lindsay Barnett

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
nanny nanny boo boo---it hurts when your hearts is ripped out don't it?! --sorry folks just had to say that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
UPDATE: Aaron Rochester

Rochester actually appealed the decision twice, losing both times and finally conceding to Jake's ultimate fate, until one Sunday in August of last year when ironically, Jake was 'stolen' from the animal shelter.

As of April of this year, BSL has not been repealed, but City Officials publicly admitted the inflated cost of trying to enforce ineffective laws were worth reconsidering...this included Rochester, who campaigned and accomplished the BSL originally.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
wow!!! "Stolen"??? WOW!!! Amazing what you can do with political pull, but the point was made effectively nontheless.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Funny how that lil thing called KARMA works... Sad for Jake. Sad lookin at that pic too... Hopefully that BSL will be repealed!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rochester claimed to know nothing about who took Jake or why. Said he'd never received a note, email or phone call concerning Jake's well-being....there was no real investigation into the 'break-in' -- unlike the recent national news about "Max", the Pit Bull stolen from the Alameda Animal Shelter after being deemed dangerous and ordered euth'ed, later found in a Motel 6 with his owner in Reno...he was returned to Alameda and put down.

If only they would go after criminals so vigorously ehhh?

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Wow, that's poetic justice. I feel for everyone involved.
Couldn't have said that better myself Bettty! Poetic Justice is exactly what it is!!

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
I feel sad for the dog, although the dog is probably fine...

Good for him and I feel no sympathy for what he felt during the time when he was fighting for his dog. Should make him think how other Pit owners feel.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I feel sad for the dog, although the dog is probably fine...

Good for him and I feel no sympathy for what he felt during the time when he was fighting for his dog. Should make him think how other Pit owners feel.
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

·
Registered
239 Posts
this whole story is lame and rediculous- people in politics can get away with so much---- we pitbull owners take so much flack but its a golden so its the poster child for goodness then it goes n bites someone so bad they need stitchs----
most pits bite out of protection need- dont poke the bear and you wont get bit simple logic somepeople are a waste of space

they are simplely alive because its illegal to euthenize them-selective human
breeding needs to be mandatory

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm a little torn on the whole matter. Stupidity cost all involved something. The kids that loved the dog, the bite-victim, the tax-payers, and most especially...the dog. Let's not forget the dog WAS found to be vicious, and depending on who sprung Jake from the shelter, he could be a loose cannon out there waiting to bite/attack another person, or child.

I say based on stupidity because without question, Rochester received stacks of correspondence providing factual findings, scientific results and study files concerning the pit bull type dogs. He chose to remain stupid, focusing on news stories rather than review such info. Then, stupidly believed his dog, because it was NOT a Pit Bull, would never bite anyone.

No sympathy for him...but he did recognize his error and agree to reconsider the information and his position on the effectiveness of BSL.

·
Registered
1 Posts
what a joke!!! i have family in sioux city and they wrighting letters to the city in order to protest the banand appeal. not to be rude but im glad he got slaped in the mouth.. payback is a mf lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts