Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to know a dog's bloodline based on distinguishing features? I have been told it is not. Which I would agree with. But can an educated guess be made?

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
Usually no, but sometimes some lines do pop out. I can point out a Nevada dog, Larum dog, some Jeep and Colby dogs are easily spotted, however just because a dog does resemble a line doesn't mean it is from that line.

So I am trying to say that while yes sometimes a line can be obvious to those who know that line, but you could not use it as a for sure without a pedigree. It also does not mean that all dogs from that line will look that way either.

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
There are so many myths out there, IMO theres no way you can tell a bloodline just by veiwing. unless as AP said that person knows that line very very well and there are certain traits even traits can appear in other lines

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
if its your bloodline then maybe but i'd say no unless you produced the dog :p

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
As a rule no, very few people that have been in this "game" for years can spot out a ____ dog from a mile away, even still they are not always correct. Some lines can be narrowed down to a very educated guess if you know what your looking at because of how different they may appear from the norm, the "rarity" if you will. Physical traits are important if your showing and want to have a dog "of standard" but something you should remember is that this breed (as well as "real" working breeds) are bred first and foremost with purpose, physical standards all secondary if not further down the list. Some look like hounds, some look bullyish, (keep in mind still a significant difference between these and actual ambullies) some can appear to be a non-conforming SBT while many are fit within the standard. I have seen APBT's that could have been easily mislabeled as a hunting hound or even labish to a degree.

The "gift" of being able to pick these out and know with certainty is rare and generally those who can have also been around those specific bloodlines for years.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Yes some of the tighter bred dogs do stand out IMO. There are certain bloodlines that are very consistent that if you are educated enough on the different family of dogs out there you are able to point them out. Now this is not with every single dog obviously a pedigree is what we use as the gold standard to tell us how a hound is bred. But there are some dogs who just stand out and it's obvious to an educated eye how those dogs are bred. There are most certainly traits and characteristics within these family of dogs that can be seen and are distinguishable from all others.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
Yes some of the tighter bred dogs do stand out IMO. There are certain bloodlines that are very consistent that if you are educated enough on the different family of dogs out there you are able to point them out. Now this is not with every single dog obviously a pedigree is what we use as the gold standard to tell us how a hound is bred. But there are some dogs who just stand out and it's obvious to an educated eye how those dogs are bred. There are most certainly traits and characteristics within these family of dogs that can be seen.
Exactly, bloodlines offer differences among the breed and bring something slightly to significantly different. Especially when we get into these household names that have been around, if all lines were the same there would be no reason to discuss them on an individual basis.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Just an example the Jeep Grin if anyone knows what that is many of the tight bred jeep dogs have it ... LOL .. The Mayday dogs are typically a bit larger with the long ears red/buckskin with black masks they stick out like a pimple LOL. There are so many others that have their trademarks but you honestly have to know these family of dogs inside and out, have bred them for so many generations, or studied them up close to really be able to see it. An untrained eye wouldn't have a clue where to begin or what they are looking at.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I posted this on another thread here we have a bunch of Mayday dog's you can see how closely they resemble one another these are all dogs in bogarts pedigree

This is just a visual example of the consistency these dog's throw

All those dog's are in Bogart's pedigree

And here is Bogart

And here is one of bogart's sibling's Pepper

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
You can see they all have black masks are either red or buckskin, even down to the white markings on the chest and paws and those silly dumbo looking ears which thank god bogart did not inherit like the rest of his siblings LOL. This is just one family of dogs. There are many more out there ...

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts
I agree with Sadie, Certain lines do have strong traits and yes, those lines are easy to pick out IF you know what the specific traits are in certain lines. For me, I've notice Garner bred dogs are easy to pick out IF they are fawn as they have that distinct colored nose and shape (JMO) and certain lines like Castillo and even some OFR's, redboy/jocko but again, that depends on how tight those lines are, gotta say, boogieman dogs are pretty distinct too but again..JMO
and not even pedigrees are safe as there are alot of paper hanging..EVEN in the game and there were dogs out there said to be bred a way they truly were not and I have an eye on a certain kennel that raises my curiousity as these dogs do not even look to be the way their pedigrees state they are and they should hold more consistant traits for being bred the way they are. So either way..even with a pedigree, UNLESS you know the breeder well and reputable you may not even have said bred dog

·
Registered
780 Posts
Gotti bullys tend to throw alot of dogs with heavy ticking.Along with their bulky (usually low build) They are easy to pick out to me imo.Also Suarez bulls Paco the Samurai has a very distinguished look he reproduces also.(generally 15-17",good topskull,large heads and a short-backed wide but very correct frame) Or maybee im such a paco fan im blind to other faults LOL

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I posed this question because going to ADBA shows made me wonder if some judges might pick dogs based on what they "think" the bloodlines are because they prefer one bloodline over the other. I have heard of judges having favorite characteristics...

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Some of the judges do know how some of these dogs are bred just by looking. Marty told me quite a few times that Ava's Dad AKA when he was showing him the Judges would tell Marty you can see the Jeep in that dog. Now obviously this is not a surprise because of how tightly bred he is. So yes some Judges have trained eyes and can see a Jeep or Mayday bred dog in the ring wether or not it influences them to place the dog based on how they think those dogs are bred I can't say I don't know enough of them to say one way or another. But I believe all judges are biased in some way or another and have their likes and dislikes.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some of the judges do know how some of these dogs are bred just by looking. Marty told me quite a few times that Ava's Dad AKA when he was showing him the Judges would tell Marty you can see the Jeep in that dog. Now obviously this is not a surprise because of how tightly bred he is. So yes some Judges have trained eyes and can see a Jeep or Mayday bred dog in the ring wether or not it influences them to place the dog based on how they think those dogs are bred I can't say I don't know enough of them to say one way or another. But I believe all judges are biased in some way or another and have their likes and dislikes.
If AKA is heavy jeep bred than I am officially a Jeep fan.. haha

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
Those Mayday dogs were a good example Tara. When I was at that last ADBA show I was playing "guess the line" and I was right on a couple Jeep dogs and an extremely obvious Mayday dog walked out and you could tell. I asked his owner the line and sure enough it was a Mayday dog lol.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think Sorrells dogs are easy to identify, unless they are crossed. Sometimes the cross can produce a different look.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts