Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 4.5 month old american pitbull terrier. he is a healthy happy puppy but yesterday morning at around 4am he woke up next to me screaming and peed himself on the bed. i've never heard a dog make a noise like this before, it was terrifying! I felt so bad I didn't know what to do. I was just hoping to find out if this is a common thing in APBTs and if there is something i can do about it? Is it dangerous or painful for him?
thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Every puppy I've had has had intense dreams. Twitching, barking, growling in their sleep. It's pretty common for puppies, but if you're really concerned that it could have been a seizure then you should take your pup to the vet.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Yeah I can be scary and maybe they had to pee but a vet trip for sure. Let us know how it goes. Hope it was just dreaming of chasing squirrels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He's better now. I took him to the emergency vet because the regular one we go to was closed. They're running some tests on him overnight to make sure it isn't anything serious, hopefully just an allergy problem but they said it is common in growing puppies, especially APBT to have minor liver problems. I pick him up tomorrow. I'm so excited to have him again! Thank you for the responses! I'll post a picture of him soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They said he has a bone growth disease. Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy I think is what they said. It is a common disease in fast growing puppies which causes them pain in their bones and joints from growing so fast (almost like growing pains that a person has when they're younger) and occasionally to have an extreme pain episode which is what he had the other morning. Luckily it was the only one he has had so far. The good thing is that this disease goes away on it's own and doesn't cause any long-term damage to the pup. They gave me pain medication for him and some anti-inflammatory medication to help him feel better. He has gotten a lot of his personality back but not much of his pep has returned yet. The vet said to let him rest as much as he wants and that he will start to feel better soon. I feel so bad that he has to go through something like this at such a young age, but at least it wasn't something seriously tragic that was wrong with him. I'm just happy to have him back with me again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts