Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the varieties of Orijen?

I'm going to start switching Kane to Orijen this weekend and was wondering what kind to get? If I get the 6 fish, does that have a noticeable difference in skin/coat versus say regional red? Because regional red has more protein, will it make him gain weight quicker if I don't keep him active versus just the regular adult?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
yup the protein is different. I find if we have ours on the red meat and not working them enough they gain fast , loki gained 5 lbs in about a week so we keep them on the fish unless we know they will get worked.
As far as the coat we have had them on both varietys and always had shiny soft coats so i dont see any one of them being better then the other. We feed al of ours orijen for over 2 years now and never had any issues.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thanks. :) He's on TOTW right now and has been for a few months, but his coat is thin in some spots and a little flakey and wanted to see if upping the quality of his food would help a little.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
TOTW is pretty good .. Either way adding fish oil should help with the skin and coat. In the winter months a dog's skin can get dry the added fish oil will help with that. Orijen is good stuff as well not all dogs can tolerate a very high protein kibble. You will have to watch and see how your dog does on it.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
yes I should have noted with the orijen im still giving omega 3-6-9 for there coats as well , i noticed since the winter months my dogs have had dryer skin most likely from teh indoor heat . try adding those or fish oils it may help.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a difference in fish oil? Like, if I were to walk into Petsmart, how do I know the "right" kind of fish oil to get? I've seen some that were were little tablets and others that get squirted on their food?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I buy mine at the grocery store just the human grade fish oils or what i use omega 3-6-9 cheaper then the petstore for the same thing. a big huge jar of it will cost me like $10 and lasts a lil more then a month between all my dogs.

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts
We are making the Switch tomorrow to Orijen too but we are going with the Adult formula vs the fish or Red meat and Bubs will be on the puppy formula so we will see..it is only a few dollars more then TOTW here so why not?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
ya I think it runs us about $70 for the puppy forumla and $80 for the fish or red meat after taxes. and of course they are all on different ones so we are usually buying a couple bags at a time lol . Luckly the store we buy from does the buy 10 bags get one free thing so it helps a bit always nice when we get that free bag lol.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the Orijen has def. been worth the money. I mixed it in with the last of the TOTW, which I had more than I thought I did, and Kane's been doing great on it. No loose or soft stool like he had switching from Blue Buffalo to TOTW, and he's eating about a cup less of it every day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts