Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
GYPSY PAVING
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for Feed Back on the Title (Please don't tell me Not to leave my dog's Unattended, lol)

When I'm in the backyard Diamond, (12 wks)Barks at People that Pass by or make noises out in front of the house.
Crush (11 wks) hears or See's People and wants to get to them, he Wages his Tail so much his Butts swinging around. I love the Fact he is social and not afraid, however is there such a thing as TO MUCH Socialazation so that they end up Trusting Anyone ?
I don't want a Humane Agressive dog, But I dont want a SAP either ! There have been sevral situations where Well Bred Dogs have been Stolen and Or Hurt because they would Go w/anyone etc....
My Dogs are Never Left alone Outside , so that's not a concern for me, But i also Go away for work for a few days here and there leaving the house to my Kids and Wife. I'd like to know the Dogs will Protect the House and Not invite Strangers over for a T-BONE ;)
It was the SAME with my other 2, Rocky and Taya, Rocky is like a 11yr old going on 8 wks, and Taya would let you know she meant Business without being Agressive. Is this also a Male/Female Thing?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
most dogs who are friendly can sense the difference in people who are there as friends vs there to harm. Its why you see alot of storys where the 'family' dog protects there family in break ins and muggings ect. my dogs who love everyone and are fine with friends and never shown aggression would protect us no doubt. this past summer we were in our back yard and didnt hear our buddy at the door, he heard us out back n came in through the gate . We didnt hear him even come through but loki ws on him fast and apparently not in a nice manner actually scared the guy { the guy was the one who sold us loki , he has his parents} of course the minute loki got his scent and figured who it was he was back to his sappy self. about a month ago cali was sleeping in bed with me early morning the boyfriend had gone fishing , he returned very early as the waters werent good that morning and cali heard him come in { i hadnt} and got up defensive and stood in the hall blocking the bedrooms where me and the kids were , she didnt recognize him in his rain gear. I will never forget that tone she had in her growl she meant buisness { and only 7 months} she is friendly all the time to everyone but that morning she just didnt recognize him and was ready to protect. I would rather have a sappy dog then an unsocialized dog they do know the difference. I would trust a dogs instincts about people over my own thats for sure, always thought if a dog doesnt like you theres a good reson for it.

·
GYPSY PAVING
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
most dogs who are friendly can sense the difference in people who are there as friends vs there to harm. Its why you see alot of storys where the 'family' dog protects there family in break ins and muggings ect. my dogs who love everyone and are fine with friends and never shown aggression would protect us no doubt. this past summer we were in our back yard and didnt hear our buddy at the door, he heard us out back n came in through the gate . We didnt hear him even come through but loki ws on him fast and apparently not in a nice manner actually scared the guy { the guy was the one who sold us loki , he has his parents} of course the minute loki got his scent and figured who it was he was back to his sappy self. about a month ago cali was sleeping in bed with me early morning the boyfriend had gone fishing , he returned very early as the waters werent good that morning and cali heard him come in { i hadnt} and got up defensive and stood in the hall blocking the bedrooms where me and the kids were , she didnt recognize him in his rain gear. I will never forget that tone she had in her growl she meant buisness { and only 7 months} she is friendly all the time to everyone but that morning she just didnt recognize him and was ready to protect. I would rather have a sappy dog then an unsocialized dog they do know the difference. I would trust a dogs instincts about people over my own thats for sure, always thought if a dog doesnt like you theres a good reson for it.
GOOD POINT !!
Sometimes Common sence, Or Common sence to us Animal People Gets lost with to much Thinking, lol..What do you think about the fact that I haven't allowed anyone on Our property with the new Pup's, EXCEPT are FAM/EXTENDED Etc... My Neighbors (WHo I DONT LIKE) all came Running up my drivway one Day yellin "WE WANNA SEE THE PUPPYS) and I RUDELY told them not to run up my Drive, that i would bring the Pups to see them OUT FRONT. I figured Id socialize them OFF are Personal Space Only.. is that a bad Idea IYO ?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
id have friends and such come in the house , you dont want the dogs to think noone can be in the home no visitors makes it hard later on. they need to learn you are alpha and see that you decide who comes in and doesnt , they need to learn door manners on how to properly greet people without jumping, agression, hyper actions. allowing them to learn these manners at a young age will deff help you, easier to correct a 15lb puppy then a 50lb dog jumping on people. again they will know the difference if someone is invited vs someone who comes in uninvited. make sense?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I would just socialize them like normal. They are naturally a very friendly breed of dog. Unfortunately that does make them easier to steal.

Most dogs if they sense an actual danger to their pack will protect them, but if you want a dog for protection purposes you should buy a breed bred for that specific task.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
APBT's are not good guard dogs normally and will go home with most people. I want a guard dog for my property for that reason. There is nothing you can do to stop them from being over friendly unless you want to create issues. So let them be what they are going to be. I do want to say many dogs would protect you if someone was threatening but if you were not home they might go with who ever comes in.

·
GYPSY PAVING
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I hear ya's on all that. I really dont need a Guard dog so to speak, I just liked the way my Female (passed now) alarmed and protected the House. She was Sweet as PIE to anyone that was Nice, but took someones back Pocket off that got drunk and Baligerant at my house. I guess that would pertain to most Good Family animals.

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
barking is communication. I am A big fan of getting my dogs around anyone who doesn 't mind their presence at an early age and as often as possible. I even had them doing sleep overs with other folk early on whenever I would have a late night.
I allow folks with good dog sense to apply discipline and rule confirmation whenever possible.like having folks down them for jumping, giving them treats only after command completion etc.
I'm not bragging, but I've got excellent dogs. anyone here could take them and they would do for you, as they do for me. thats so important to me.
if ever,God forbid I'm in A deadly crash and they wandered off. someone would get A helafied good set of animals.
period, end of story. my dogs mean alot to me. and they are worthy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mine is a mutt, anyway... he looks big and scarry but i dont think he would protect me if i was attacked by a person. On the other hand, he is a much different dog when im out of town.
The front door- he sits in his spot about 5 feet back when i go to answer it. If my wife goes for the door, He gets in her way, and backs up, trys to sit on her feet, looks like he is protecting her. He does the same thing with children, he trys to block them out of the hallway and sit on their feet.
When i go in the back yard, he follows me, or lays down in the middle of the yard. When my ol lady goes back there, he looks like he is trying to guess where she is going, and then cut her off. Its interesting to watch.

I would worry more about dog agression/early socializing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts