Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
Some people use weighted vests and collars... just helps to strengthen in certain areas.. I've never had any experience using them :)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
the collars Are not safe though. They offer too much pressure on the neck and spinal column and can cause some damage. The only thing I would ask someone who is using this vest is why? alot of muscle tone you get from exercise alone. He says its evenly distributed to the rear but I dont know I dont see that vest on the rear seems like it is all in the middle of the torso of that dog and may cause some strain on the spine as well or pull down like a sway back. I think you would get better results buying a properly fitted harness and teaching them to weight pull vs wearing the weight. I think if the dog is wearing a weighted vest the owner should be too, JMO though .

·
Registered
14 Posts
the collars Are not safe though. They offer too much pressure on the neck and spinal column and can cause some damage. The only thing I would ask someone who is using this vest is why? alot of muscle tone you get from exercise alone. He says its evenly distributed to the rear but I dont know I dont see that vest on the rear seems like it is all in the middle of the torso of that dog and may cause some strain on the spine as well or pull down like a sway back. I think you would get better results buying a properly fitted harness and teaching them to weight pull vs wearing the weight. I think if the dog is wearing a weighted vest the owner should be too, JMO though .
second this:thumbsup:

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Weighted collars and harnesses are safe if used properly, though there is no replacement for genetics and old fashioned work and diet. Like anything with dogs, most don't understand how to actually use them efficiently and effectively.

Personally i am with you in that i wouldn't personally use them but i thought i'd point out there isn't a health risk.. Its similar to the argument of prong collars, slip chains, chain spots etc are all dangerous OR teach dogs to be aggressive which we all know is untrue unless abused.. Which its not the set up or training tool to blame, its lack of knowledge in use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts