Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems to be the right place for this question.
Josey will be 3 in a few months and I am seeing aggression just toward two dogs in our neighborhood.

Josey hardly ever barks - one of the dogs is DA according to the owner - lives on our street and once came running out of its house when my husband had Josey for a walk trying to nip at her. Josey has access now to the side of our home where she can see the sidewalk. She barks whenever this dog walks by with it's owner. I sort of get this situation.

The 2nd situation is with a black lab that we have passed on walks for the past two years. This dog occasionally would bark. In the past few months whenever we cross paths Josey has hackles up, lunging, growling and barking. I have talked with our trainer about this and he said to be prepared ahead of time and as soon as she changes her stance to give her a quick firm correction and then keep going, before she reaches full aggression. I'm working on it and know the owner of the other dog.

Does DA start this way, or can these things just be isolated events with particular dogs. She still is great with all other dogs and loves playing in our local park (not dog park) with dog friends she has had for the past two years. I am very careful to not let her off leash at the park if there are any kids playing or seniors like me walking through. Our small group all get along fine and have a good time. I am aware that DA can kick in at any time and would be prepared to deal with it. We do weekly obedience training with Josey - some off leash - trainer says she is a very well balanced dog and has never shown aggression toward training mates.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. I am considering paying for a private session with trainer to come to our neighborhood to observe behavior with this one black lab. The other owner is willing to do whatever to work on it. I am very protective of Josey and the breed and just hate to let passerbys witness this behavior - I know they are probably thinking vicious pit bull - even though the lab is demonstrating the same behavior. Trainer says it could just be something about this other dog, but we should not accept Josey's reaction and find a way to control it. A challenge - but one we are up to. This morning I got her to sit by me as the dog passed even though she was growling and barking.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I agree with what your other trainer said and as soon as she shows any attention on those dogs correct her then before she gets too excited. It's almost correcting for the thought of going after that dog, she need to learn to just ignore them.

You know DA can come on at anytime and you are doing everything you need to be doing at this point. I see nothing wrong with her having some dog friends as long as you are ready if there is a problem. I have problems when dogs meet strange dogs to play with but if it is dogs she will know for a long time I think that is fine.

It does not sound like real DA just for what ever reason she has targeted those 2 dogs. Just like my neighbors dog drives all my dogs nuts but yet they never bark at any other dog. Some dogs just bug! lol

Keep up the corrections and if you are giving proper and effective corrections this should stop in a few sessions. If it is not stopping the behavior post again and we can trouble shoot what is going on.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lisa, I value your opinion. We are first time dog owners, but did research before adopting and knew we had to have a well behaved dog just in case this happened.
Josey is a joy in our lives and just want to be the most responsible owners we can be - ready to deal with what ever, but hope we can still enjoy some outside play and running. If not will still have the best dog ever to love.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts