Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Jade will not eat like she needs to!!!!!! I can't even get her to finish 2 cups of puppy food a day?! I soften it and I have left it dry, she still picks at it the same either way!! I have her on Exclusive large breed puppy food, I heard its a great food for dogs.. Do you think she just don't like it? Idk.. But I give her 1 chicken jerky a day as a treat and she eats i like she will never get another one.. So she has a appetite and she begs for our food.. So what do you think I should do or what do you think the issue might be????And you can see her ribs I like my pups a little chunky!!!

·
Rather be hunting/fishing
401 Posts
Doesn't look like the pups ever missed a meal to me.

Could always try to use chicken broth or the like over the food...

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
She doesnt look skinny to me. there appetite will change depending on if they are ina growth spurt or not. I haven't heard of that food so cant comment on it but she doesnt need to be on large breed this is not a large breed. So normal puppy would be fine for her. The chicken jerky if its made in china I would HIGHLY consider changing treats. There is alot of stuff going around about chicken jerky right now and poisons being found in them { any of the treats made in china} dogs have been getting sick and some have died from these treats they suspect.
There are threads in here about finding good quality foods , if you think she may just not like the food use the search at the top and type in food rate chart and it should come up with a few threads.
but like I said she doesn't look thin to me at all , I cant see ribs in that pic and anyways you should be able to see a couple ribs most of the time, you don't want overly fat{ although fat puppy's are fine , not like fat adults}.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Never heard of it.

·
Super Moderator
4,655 Posts
Exclusive Pet Food - Dogs

INGREDIENTS: Chicken, chicken meal (a natural source of glucosamine and chondroitin), cracked pearled barley, whole grain brown rice, ground white rice, corn gluten meal, oatmeal, chicken fat preserved with mixed tocopherols (a form of Vitamin E), beet pulp, natural chicken flavor, egg product, flaxseed, fish meal*, potassium chloride, salt, salmon oil (a source of DHA), choline chloride, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, L-carnitine, yucca schidigera extract, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, chondroitin sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

I try to steer clear of anything with wheat or corn in it. Like Angel said though, these dogs are not large breed dogs. Shoot for a regular puppy food, or an all life stages food. I feed Taste of the Wild, others feed Diamond or Blue Buffalo Wilderness. If you offer her food 3 times per day for 15 mins. After awhile she will realise she has only that long to eat it and you won't have to worry about leaving it out for the ants, or her not eating what you want her to. Ecko gets fed twice per day (he's adult) and if he isn't in the process of eating it within 15 mins, it gets pulled. Sugar ants are bad here.

·
Rather be hunting/fishing
401 Posts
I recently switched to diamond.

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
Maybe you just need to cut her food back some... instead of 2 cups a day, maybe you should just feed 3/4 cup at a time, or even less.. 1/2 cup at a time. What she don't eat, pick up and save for the next feeding. As was stated above, her appetite will vary as she grows, sometimes she won't eat that much, and other times it'll seem like she can't get enough to eat. Just depends on the growth stage she's going through.

Key thing to remember is the dog won't starve itself. If she gets hungry enough, she'll eat. If you change the food because you think she don't like it, that will just create a picky eater. I would, however, check to make sure that the food is still fresh and not moldy or mildewed. That could be a reason why she's not eating.

Best of luck and I hope this helps you out some.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts