Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Athena picked up on basic obedience rather quickly. Things had been going great the last few months. Lately though it seems as if she has said, "Nope, not gonna listen. I'll do it when I want to, if I want to!" :mad: It's mainly when outside. Our yard is fenced in so she's been able to go out with us off leash for awhile now. Now, she won't come unless I make her or she's ready to go in. So unfortunately it's back on the leash until she starts listening again. She's around 9 1/2 months old. I don't know what happened. If it's a fault of mine or if she's just testing? She had always listened and then all of a sudden it just stopped. Not looking for advice as much as I am venting. Although advice is welcome. It's just very frustrating because the stubbornness seemed to come out of nowhere.

*edit* If a mod wants to move this to obedience I'd appreciate it. Wasn't paying attention where I was posting.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Welcome to the terrible 2's. The wonderful age of defiance. I would get a long line atleast 50ft so you can let her go out alittle ways 10 ft or so and then call her to you and if she doesnt come right away you can start reeling her in. Also one thng I find works great is I dont call my dog to me only when I am ending the fun. I call them every few minutes when they come running I praise them like crazy and then send back out to have fun. That way they dont think of coming to you only as ending the game or the fun they are having.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the terrible 2's. The wonderful age of defiance. I would get a long line atleast 50ft so you can let her go out alittle ways 10 ft or so and then call her to you and if she doesnt come right away you can start reeling her in. Also one thng I find works great is I dont call my dog to me only when I am ending the fun. I call them every few minutes when they come running I praise them like crazy and then send back out to have fun. That way they dont think of coming to you only as ending the game or the fun they are having.
Hmmmm......good point. I hadn't thought about that. I'll make sure to pay attention to not doing that.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Yep it works. Both my sister and my son only call their dogs to come in the house and both have trouble with them listening. I call mydogs all the time to me adn when I want to go in they come running just good. They will even leave their bones and come in the house. I have always done this with my dogs even the rescues and I have great re-call.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
I agree, I have had the same luck, calling Mel every few minutes to bring his balls close to me and then when I say inside, he has been coming. ALTHOUGH terrible 2's is starting, I can feel it. He has been testing me more and more lately lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts