Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you feel about this statement? Scenario: You are out walking your dog. A person stops you to chat. They compliment the beauty of your dog, they may or may not know the breed, but when you confirm it is an APBT (or like breed) They reply with a "oh they get such a bad rep, but yours is so sweet, it is all in how you raise them!"

This opens the nature vs nurture debate in my head. Because number one... if they dog had very HA, shy, unpredictable parents. There may be no amount of raising to take these genetics out of your puppy. As with DA, you can train and love the dog with all your heart, but you aren't going to beat out the DA in the end.

So do you try to educate this person or do you let them continue to believe "it's all in how you raise them" Because it can simply be ok for this person to go on and have that positive outlook on the breed. Or you may change their minds if you tell them the difference and they may start to believe the myths perpetuated into the breed that they are unsound, and dangerous and no amount of love and training can undo it.

Generally, if I think the person has time to talk, I try to briefly explain in layman's terms that they were originally bred for, and that the dogs that were poorly bred are bad examples of the breed standard. But this leaves me in a catch 22 that my dog was one of these poorly bred BYB examples... And that I simply do not know enough about her lineage... I just know that after 4 years she has been a pretty good dog with no huge problems that couldn't be corrected. So usually, I simply agree with the person and go on with my business.

What do you do?

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
you should check out my thread: http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/36165-so-you-want-ambassador-breed.html that pretty much sums a lot of what will probably be said in this thread.

However, too many people dont understand its breeding practices that cause HA in this breed, not the breed itself. This breed is not HA it is DA. In terms of DA, "its all in how you raise them" has ZERO to do with anything. You cant "raise" them out of genetics.

http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/36151-how-did-bad-reputation-start.html this thread also covered this exact question quite a bit. I understand you may be wanting to start your own thread over this but incase you wanted to get some insight on some of our opinions, there you go! :)

EDIT: What i do if someone says that to me is "Well actually [insert history lesson here] unless your talking about the dog aggression which is genetic and its not how you raise them its how you control them and [insert another history lesson here]"

Normally followed by 50% being schooled and 50% trying to argue that im wrong and they know someone who never had an issue because their 80 pound blue nose never would hurt a fly blah blah bs.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
It obviously is all in how you raise a dog but genetics and good breeding does have alot to do with a stable temperament. It depends on the person as to how I determine if they are even worth my breath to educate them about the breed. I have had some amazing conversations and usually come off on a high that I did a good thing by talking to them and giving them a better understanding of the breed.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you should check out my thread: http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/36165-so-you-want-ambassador-breed.html that pretty much sums a lot of what will probably be said in this thread.

However, too many people dont understand its breeding practices that cause HA in this breed, not the breed itself. This breed is not HA it is DA. In terms of DA, "its all in how you raise them" has ZERO to do with anything. You cant "raise" them out of genetics.

http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/36151-how-did-bad-reputation-start.html this thread also covered this exact question quite a bit. I understand you may be wanting to start your own thread over this but incase you wanted to get some insight on some of our opinions, there you go! :)

EDIT: What i do if someone says that to me is "Well actually [insert history lesson here] unless your talking about the dog aggression which is genetic and its not how you raise them its how you control them and [insert another history lesson here]"

Normally followed by 50% being schooled and 50% trying to argue that im wrong and they know someone who never had an issue because their 80 pound blue nose never would hurt a fly blah blah bs.
The "how did the bad rep" thread is mine. ;) lol

I do understand the breeding practices and genetics part. I am just wondering what other people do when encountered by this statement.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
At this point I get so sick of talking to people about the breed I sometimes just avoid it all together. I should start to educate people again but I needed a mental health break, it take a lot of me ;)

Sorry this is a bit off topic but I hate it when they reach for my dog and are petting them, then ask do they bite...... You think they would ask BEFORE they touched my dog. When they I ask I say yes.... you should see the looks they give me! LMAO I say yes they can bite, they have teeth so it is possible. yea I am a bit of a smart butt does that make me bad? lol
I just get sick of uneducated people I run into sometimes, I do educate when I can but sometimes I like to mess with people. ;)

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with you Lisa. I got really tired of trying to educate people, that's why I usually just agree and go about my business.

The other day I was pushing Zach in his stroller, and walking Helena. And this old man was walking down the street and when we came across him he said "Does that dog bite" I started laughing and said "Um Don't think I'd have her around my baby if she did!" That pretty much was it. Another younger guy was walking behind the older man and started laughing too.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Yeah that kind of stuff really bugs me. Like even my family is stupid! lol When we decided to have Justin they were asking me what I was going to do with the dogs once the baby was born..... Was I suppose to get rid of them? WTH!

Or people will say to watch the dogs around the baby they will attack him.... I'm like REALLY?? WTH is wrong with people! I never leave the dogs with the baby anyway but the worse they would do is lick him where he couldn't breath.

It gets so aggravating sometimes I just let things go, other times I get mad and speak my mind, and if I am being good I educate ;)

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol Lisa.... you are cracking me up today! I have problems with my mom. She says Helena is a "good one" She brags about Helena but then doesn't trust the rest of them. So I wonder how she will feel about the next APBT I get.... Will it be another "good one" I wonder if she will start to see that... the majority are good. It's almost a racist statement.... like "they're not ALL bad" lol

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
LOL! Lisa, I get that all the time too.....Does she bite as they are bending down petting her. One time a guy asked me that as he was already touching her and I just said "well, it would have been to late for ya if she did" ;)

Another note seeing as how I have a bully. I always get is that a "pit bull" from people and 95% of the time I just say yes, she is....I can't stand trying to educate people when you tell them you have an American bully. They look at me like I have ten heads. LOL! It's just easier to say a Pit. I have only had one dude approach me with his 100 lb RE/Gotti bully and ask me if mine was bully as well. He has been the only person that I have had an actual conversation with that was worth my time about bullies.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
I usually correct this statement by simply saying that pit bulls aren't for everyone and there are certain things about the breed that limit the types of things you can do with them, like taking them to a dog park. As ambassadors for the breed we don't want to put out a negative image, but I also don't want everyone running out to get one either. It's a balancing act, for sure.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BNB.... see you are just making it harder on us APBT owners trying to educate people that are dogs are not too small.... LMAO

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I usually correct this statement by simply saying that pit bulls aren't for everyone and there are certain things about the breed that limit the types of things you can do with them, like taking them to a dog park. As ambassadors for the breed we don't want to put out a negative image, but I also don't want everyone running out to get one either. It's a balancing act, for sure.
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
BNB.... see you are just making it harder on us APBT owners trying to educate people that are dogs are not too small.... LMAO
LMAO!! I'm sorry but it is so hard to go the bully route with most people around Boston and that is the reality. Hell, I didn't know I had a bully until I came here, learned, and became more educated. I know what I have and to me that is all that matters. On here I am ALL about educating peeps :D I can't believe how many dudes I come across with 85-100 lb pits on the end of there leash that I know are bullies but they will argue with you that they have 100% pit bull :hammer: to me it just ain't worth the fight.

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
When someone says that, the next words out of my mouth are "but it's also how they're bred! I've seen abused dogs that were the sweetest ever.. and I've seen well-cared for dogs grow into unpredictable problems." And I will usually insert somewhere in the convo, if I have time, that APBT's are supposed to have some level of dog aggression, and it doesn't relate to human aggression. :)

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
All the time!!
I explain that training plays a role just as genetics and breeding. I also ask when did they start seeing these " pit bulls"- they usually say late 80's. I also explain the difference between bullies and apbts as well as how it used to be impossible to get your hands on true ones, etc until poor breeding ethics came about ( size and the whole byb boom of the 80s -90s)

I have alot of pics and I always pull out the iPhone ( gotta love it for internet lol) and show the difference between apbt's and bullies. I also ask them if they can recognize true apbt's?

I also explain why they were bred, what qualities/traits they have, as well as them not being meant for every person.

I usually quote Chris Rock- " that tiger ain't go crazy! That tiger went tiger!"
I'm a d!ck so I also say- you can't get mad at a gsd being a guard dog, a collie herding, or an apbt getting into a scrap. Working animals were bred for a purpose. This is theirs. If you don't like it- don't get one. It's minds that think you can get one and not be cautious ( not educated on the breed) that make the news.

When they say- " you cant trust them with kids"
I show the pics of my boy with my daughter And how good he is with her. Add to that-she loves him and they sleep together. I leave them shocked.

Then they tell me how I should get into some type of business with dogs. I explain that dogs are my passion and i feel the need to educate or inform the uneducated. Needless to say- my dog has changed some minds. And no- he doesn't play with other dogs other than my gsd. I know better lol. He tolerates him but is DA to a degree.

Reactions: 9361

·
Registered
776 Posts
When someone says that, the next words out of my mouth are "but it's also how they're bred! I've seen abused dogs that were the sweetest ever.. and I've seen well-cared for dogs grow into unpredictable problems." And I will usually insert somewhere in the convo, if I have time, that APBT's are supposed to have some level of dog aggression, and it doesn't relate to human aggression. :)
you need to use indie to demonstrate that they can be perfectly awsome dogs with people. shes as cute as they come !

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I hate the statement and people who think along those lines typically don't care to learn about the breed they are just too freaking delusional there is no reaching those folks. The only thing that will awaken them is when they come face to face with their dog's genetics then they are forced to see reality.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I saw a story of a dog attacking a child on the news. And the parents were just shocked and they were like "we raised her so well, we'll never have a pit bull again! we thought we could trust them and it was how they were raised, but you just can not trust these dogs" I thought what a blow to our breed.... Education is key.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
I hate the statement and people who think along those lines typically don't care to learn about the breed they are just too freaking delusional there is no reaching those folks. The only thing that will awaken them is when they come face to face with their dog's genetics then they are forced to see reality.
Even then sometimes there is still no hope, they just blame it on "the other dog" or continue their denial thinking "oh she was just moody" or "he must of gotten too hot" :mad:

Some days i really feel like its never going to end. Maybe everyone that is responsible with their dogs and knowledgable should have their own state.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
I saw a story of a dog attacking a child on the news. And the parents were just shocked and they were like "we raised her so well, we'll never have a pit bull again! we thought we could trust them and it was how they were raised, but you just can not trust these dogs" I thought what a blow to our breed.... Education is key.
How recent was that? If its real recent im surprised i missed it usually something that big every news channel from here to china is broadcasting it 24/7 for at least a week.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts