Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:)Please remeber to include the works cited page as well when using this article for your needs!! Thank you and I hope you all enjoy!!:)

P.S. If you want the orginal version since the table formatting got all jacked up, just private message me and I will sent it via e-mail to you. Good luck to all using with the local papers if possible in your area!!:clap::clap::clap:

As many people may know, the American Pitbull Terrier has become the most despised breed of dog in the media scene and public eye. Many do not understand the breed, nor what it was originally bred to do. I'm writing this article to show the public how misinformed they really are about this loving and loyal breed.

When there is a dog attack, the identification of the dog is left up to the victim and the witness; however, more often than not the identity is wrong. Due to so many negative press publications, ANY breed of biting dog will be called a Pit Bull Terrier. It may have been a Labrador Retriever or a Golden Retriever Mix, but because it was mixed with a Pit Bull the Golden Retriever half was left out intentionally. The chart below shows the bite statistics as of December 2008 from the American Temperament Test Society. Keep in mind the data shown is cumulative since 1977 and is ongoing still today. The average overall pass rate is 81.6%, now any breed may score higher or lower than that average. It varies from breed to breed. When the dog shows signs of panic, strong avoidance without recovery or unprovoked aggression the dog is considered a failure and does not pass the 12 minute test. Study the chart for just a minute…

Breed Name Tested Passed Failed Percent
Labrador 721 663 58 92.0%
Yorkshire Terrier 39 32 7 82.1%
German Shepherd 2929 2452 477 83.7%
Beagle 63 51 12 81.0%
Dachshund 47 33 14 70.2%
Boxer 396 331 65 83.6%
Rottweiler 5097 4228 869 83.0%
Miniature Poodle 66 51 15 77.3%
Staffordshire Bull Terrier 570 478 92 83.9%
American Pitbull Terrier 665 567 98 85.3%
Cocker Spaniel 221 181 40 81.9%
Shih Tzu 40 31 9 77.5%
Miniature Schnauzer 105 82 23 78.1%
Golden Retreiver 720 609 111 84.6%

…Now that you've looked over that small chart, let me point out a couple things. The American Pitbull Terrier has scored higher than the Golden Retreiver, Boxer, and German Shepherd. The Labrador scores a small 6.7% higher than the American Pitbull Terrier. What does that show you about the bite statistics of these example breeds? Virtually all of them are the same!!

Many people have a misconception when it comes to the breed of the American Pitbull Terrier. The dogs have gotten into the hands of the incorrect owners, who in turn, have made the bad name for this loyal and family loving dog. Yes, I did say family loving dog. Dog on dog fighting has never been the true and full intention of the breed as a whole and those who persist on making a petition only warp history and poison the genuine character and beauty of the American Pit Bull Terrier.

This last paragraph is for those of you who support Breed Specific Legislation against the American Pit Bull Terrier and other variations of the breed. Banning Pit Bulls would be like banning cars because people get killed in car accidents. Who's responsible, the car or the driver/manufacturer? Any car can be deadly in the wrong hands. It can also be deadly if built with defective parts. The same thing with dogs, ANY dog. The American Pit Bull Terrier is no more responsible for the way it is bred, raised, and trained, than cars are responsible for the way they are designed, built, and driven. Thank you for your time and I hope I've opened some of the public eyes to the reality of the breed.

WORKS CITED

Pitbullsontheweb, "Pet Pit Bull." 2006. Pet Pit Bull - Home (accessed December 1, 2009

Wikipedia contributors, "List of most popular dog breeds," Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, List of most popular dog breeds - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (accessed December 2, 2009).

Unknown. "APBT Breed History." American Pit Bull History. pitbullregistry.com/PitBullHistory.htm (accessed December 3, 2009).

American Temperament Test Society, Inc.."ATTS - American Temperament Test Society, Inc. - About ATTS." ATTS - American Temperament Test Society, Inc. -Home. ATTS - American Temperament Test Society, Inc. - About ATTS (accessed December 3, 2009)

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Good article thanks for taking the time to do this.

·
Auth. Top Breeder
788 Posts
so all we get is two replys . you know all in all this is part of the prob . someone comes along and trys to help out and people dont even look . say they want to help and can't even post back . if you realy want to do something then take what she wrote make it yoour own or use it as iit is and get the word out there . we all need to do our parts . what she wrote will be in the local paper back home soon . you could also make a few posters and stick them up here and there on for sell boards around town . . let all do our part to keep this breed around .

·
Premium Member
1,826 Posts
It is very informative. I tell people all the time about the temperment numbers

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
so all we get is two replys . you know all in all this is part of the prob . someone comes along and trys to help out and people dont even look . say they want to help and can't even post back . if you realy want to do something then take what she wrote make it yoour own or use it as iit is and get the word out there . we all need to do our parts . what she wrote will be in the local paper back home soon . you could also make a few posters and stick them up here and there on for sell boards around town . . let all do our part to keep this breed around .
I posted it in my APBT thread on a forum that has nothing to do with dogs that I constantly update with good info.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Good job Tiff thanks for taking the time to write it. I will be forwarding it to my local newspaper. :clap:

·
Auth. Top Breeder
788 Posts
thank you guys for the help . we have a ton of people on here and just think if 4 people told 4 and them 4 all told 4 , etc etc etc ......... it would not be long and the truth couldn't help but get out and all the pit haten would stop . JMO and i know im right dont beleave me just ask me and ill tell ya.... LOL

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank ya'll I was kinda getting depressed lol... Took me long enough to write the thing and hardly anyone said anything back. But it's okay ya know? At least a few people got it out there and maybe those few people spawned a bunch more. Thank ya'll

·
Auth. Top Breeder
788 Posts
bump taking a few copies down to the local no kill here in north MN. for them to hand out . also gonna turn one into the peper here .

PS , plzz let us know what you are doing to help our breed maybe some of us could use what you are doing .

·
Registered
423 Posts
great article I'm definitely gonna post this up around town and make sure I give one to my mom she still thinks If I get a pitbull I'm gonna have my face mauled in the middle of the night:rolleyes:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Great article
Might want to fix this line
The cart below shows the bite statistics as of December 2008 from the American Temperament Test Society.
I think you mean chart not cart.
Also does ATTS say their stats are bite stats....If I am not mistaken they are the pass and fail numbers of breeds that have taken the temperament test, I tried to find on the ATTS site where they talk about bite statistics. Hate to be the stickler, but someone who doesn't like APBTs could go to the site and not find anything about bites specifically and use it against an otherwise well written article.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I apologize for the error. The ATTS is not specifically about just pibulls. I refered to the website for the temperament of other dogs compared to the apbt. the website if you haven't already noticed is not about the bite statistics its about the temperament of different breeds. Now as far as that goes I'll have to wait till my computer gets back up and running to see exactly what I wrote in my article and may have to change some things. Thanks for pointing out the error in spelling

·
Registered
119 Posts
No problem, I am horrible when it comes to reading and editing my own writings (as I think the majority of people are), but can spot simple errors like they were highlighted in red and bolded!! I know ATTS is multi breed and didn't think it mentioned bite stats, but the article in the first post of the thread, read as though the ATTS is a bite stat site. Or maybe it was my brain. Either way it was well written. Perhaps a little rewording about temperment and less about bite stats (again if that is what I read) or maybe finding a legitimate bite stat site and getting some info from there might work better.

But again perhaps when I read it I had bite stats on my mind and read it that way! lol

·
Medal polisher for kg420
3,056 Posts
great post thanks alot my bestest bestest buddy ol pal

Reactions: Mom_of_Kambo

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No problem, I am horrible when it comes to reading and editing my own writings (as I think the majority of people are), but can spot simple errors like they were highlighted in red and bolded!! I know ATTS is multi breed and didn't think it mentioned bite stats, but the article in the first post of the thread, read as though the ATTS is a bite stat site. Or maybe it was my brain. Either way it was well written. Perhaps a little rewording about temperment and less about bite stats (again if that is what I read) or maybe finding a legitimate bite stat site and getting some info from there might work better.

But again perhaps when I read it I had bite stats on my mind and read it that way! lol
The only thing I've read that needed to be corrected was the mispelled word. Now I can see where you would think it was STRICTLY a bite stat site from how I worded it.. BUT if you continue to read a dog can fail whether they bite or not. The ATTS is only of dogs who have taken the test yes.. And that does mean some breeds may not be in there. All depends on the owners really. But I feel as though I'm rambling on. I will correct the spelling error all. I apologize

1 - 20 of 27 Posts