Go Pitbull Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So like I was telling everyone after the tragic death of my blue puppy POLO, I recently met a very nice lady that gave me a great deal on a blue puppy I named ROME. So I take my new puppy ROME to the vet for the 1st time and found out he is dying sick and that basically the only real fighting chance he had at staying alive would be if I surrendered him, Which sadly I did just for him to live and be treated properly. This all happend this past Sunday, Today which is Monday I get a call that he died 2 hours after I left the vet :(. So I just havent caught a break. And I called the lady back told her what happend and she was very sorry and wanted to make it right, so she gave me her gorgeous 7 month old male pitbull, I named him KIMBO. She gave me all his regesteration number to get on some website and have his papers sent to me ( I dont know how all that works) but Im learing. He is a big boy for only barely 8 months old and I love him. I only have one picture but I will take some tomorrow during the day and post! thanks everyone for listening!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
what exactly did the pup have that caused his death? cause alot of things are contagious and you may want to clean and bleach anything and everywhere your pup was so your new dog doesnt catch anything. Again depends on what was originally wrong. sorry for your loss , nice looking boy though,

Reactions: bahamutt99

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
You need to know specifically what Rome was sick with. If it was Parvo, your new dog could well be harboring it, too. Its highly contagious. Be careful. And as far as I know the registries don't work like that. She should have his papers in hand, and just giving you the number doesn't mean you can get his papers if he's already registered to her. She'd have to fill out a transfer of ownership. I just don't want to see you get screwed a 3rd time. Seems to me that she turned over a half-grown dog that she intended to keep (?) awfully quickly. I'd be super super leary. If something sounds too good to be true...

·
Registered
776 Posts
my advice would be to give him back , if your other pup died of parvo , disinfect the crap outta the entire place and then start researching a real breeder of quality dogs . i know its a hit but youll be much better off.
you can get pet quality dogs off a show breeder pretty reasonable and they will jsut usually have a small cosmetic flaw that makes them not a good show prospect. Some will say get a shelter dog but personally , i like to know wer my new family member came from and that he is a quality kid !

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Man you really can't catch a break! I'm very sorry to hear about your new pup dying.

I'd have to agree with the others though. If it were me, I'd be wary of dealing with this lady again. Like the old saying goes; Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. Good luck with what ever you decide.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
I know your still learning but 3 times in this short period? Give him back take a break and research. Your rushing into getting a dog and she sounds like a byb.
I can appreciate the first time wasn't your fault but common.. First vet visit with a death sentence and this "breeder" all of a sudden give you another, older puppy? Sounds like shes covering up for the fact health testing isn't apart of her "program".

I understand you want a dog, i can appreciate the first situation and how horrible it is. But you should have done some more research before jumping into another breeder, even if all intentions are well if you had done more research you wouldn't have accepted another dog from her because its obvious somethings terribly wrong with it

·
Registered
106 Posts
I know your still learning but 3 times in this short period? Give him back take a break and research. Your rushing into getting a dog and she sounds like a byb.
I can appreciate the first time wasn't your fault but common.. First vet visit with a death sentence and this "breeder" all of a sudden give you another, older puppy? Sounds like shes covering up for the fact health testing isn't apart of her "program".

I understand you want a dog, i can appreciate the first situation and how horrible it is. But you should have done some more research before jumping into another breeder, even if all intentions are well if you had done more research you wouldn't have accepted another dog from her because its obvious somethings terribly wrong with it
I'm sorry this has happened again, I agree with everyone else. This lady sounds questionable. If she is a BYB, report her if you can. For a puppy to pass away so fast. What did he have? Being that it's Monday, did you take Kimbo to the vet as well? Have him 100% tested? That costs a bit, but it's worth it if you chose to keep him, he is gorgeous. I also agree that it now sounds like you're rushing, by accepting the 3rd dog. Listen to everyone on here, return the dog in a respectful manner; then take your time to do the research on different reputable breeders who can provide you with everything.

Stop now while you have the chance. Myself, along with everyone on here I'm sure, doesn't want to see you go through something like this again. If you need help finding a breeder in your area, I'm sure someone can help if you ask :)
Keep us posted & good luck

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Well my big concern is this BYB, if the pup was so ill with lets say parvo or coccidia and he just got the pup. The pup would have been really sick at the breeders house and the fact she sold a sick pup and did not notice how sick the pup was is just despicable.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Well my big concern is this BYB, if the pup was so ill with lets say parvo or coccidia and he just got the pup. The pup would have been really sick at the breeders house and the fact she sold a sick pup and did not notice how sick the pup was is just despicable.
:goodpost:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Again, agreed. How could you not notice bloody stool & vomiting? We came across a BYB when we first started looking, the pups would run around the filthy place, with really bad diarrhea, she said it's normal... It didn't look normal. We reported her. I hope you report this woman & I hope Animal Control complies where you live.

·
Banned
314 Posts
Any good breeder will give 100% Guarantee for health...PERIOD.

There's a saying, "fools rush in..." First time wasn't your fault. Now the second, you're not really at fault either, just perhaps a little gullable towards this breeder. (pocket breeder?) This time it is on you. Get the pup checked. Ask for full stool sample, and you usually have to ask for a coccidia check...it takes a little longer, but you paid for it. If you have so much as one thing wrong, take that pup back and forget about the refund...consider it a well spent debt to learn a lesson.

And before you even think of getting another pup, do your homework first as others have said. But learn first not after! And here's a few simple things to look at before you even get a pup, that'll give you a good estimate on health:
1. Check the teeth. Yellow teeth show they are not getting proper nutrition. They should be a clear white.
2. Pull up behind the neck on the loose skin. If it goes down slowly, it's a sign of dehydration. It should go down quickly. The coat should be shiny and not dull.
3. Check the eyes. If they are red or yellowish, it shows bad health. Possibilities are too many to name. (And I'm no pro on this). They should be clear white.
4. Stool should be solid.
5. Body should not have the "pot" belly, as this is almost always worms.

Other than this, check out the living quarters...is it clean? This speaks alot of a breeder, and there is no excuse. If they were too busy to keep clean the week before you got there, then they shouldn't be breeding. Also, if you don't have 100% guarantee against man aggression, ask to see the parents of the pup. If they say, "they, he, or she, don't like people, it's a good chance it's hereditary. Tell them thank you and move on.

POINT: Any time you buy a pup, you should be buying a totally healthy pup.

BTW, be sure to always clean a crate, concrete floor, ect., with bleach and water where other animals have been. And don't take pup into public until completely vaccinated. And keep away from other animals until then as well.

I had to learn the hard way years ago, but I'll be darned if I have to learn again!! I hate seeing others ignore the advice and lessons of others...but good luck.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Again, agreed. How could you not notice bloody stool & vomiting? We came across a BYB when we first started looking, the pups would run around the filthy place, with really bad diarrhea, she said it's normal... It didn't look normal. We reported her. I hope you report this woman & I hope Animal Control complies where you live.
there isnt always bloody stool and depending when the dog contracted it { usually 10 days prior to symptoms} she may not have known about it . But every good breeder would take the puppy back and pay for the vet visit that shouldnt have fallen on his shoulders and any dogs in her home should have been vet checked or quaratined for atleast 10 days to make sure symptoms didnt appear with any other dogs in her care. After just going through parvo with a litter of pups we sent one home there were no symptoms until the next day when they called us back { which we went and picked him up and took full responsibility for the vet care and bills} but had we known that there was something wrong or seen any symptoms ourselfs we wouldnt have sent one home with anyone. Just made me think that maybe she didnt know but now with the 2nd one that really just doesnt seem right on the breeders part to send home another dog who could be contagious and or not care if that dog picks up this illness at this new home she obviously has no care for the actual dog here.

·
Registered
231 Posts
im really sorry for the losses,
and i hope everything works out without any problem with this one,
hes a cute pup.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Good to know, thank you. I suppose there is the possibility she didn't know. One thing we don't know, is how old he was when she sent him home with the OP. I'm not sure if it's the same everywhere else, but majority of breeders, the good ones, pay for the first vaccines (8 weeks) it's included in the purchase of the puppy. You said if you had known, you wouldn't have let the puppies go to a new home, which is good. By that point, 8 weeks, could a breeder notice if the litter has parvo or anything else? Because that's when a puppy can leave his mother. She doesn't sound very... educated nor seems to care with the either puppy... :(

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
the thing with parvo is it can be contracted but symptooms dont always show up until about 10 days later so very well picked it up at the breeders in this case as I believe he only had the puppy a matter of days , but it is possible she didnt know because the pup left before the symptoms appeared. symptoms to watch for would be diarreah , vomiting, lethargic , no to little intrest in food . Some symptoms can be caused by many other things as well so it can be hard to diagnose without a vet test. I know when we hadnt seen any symptoms here but the new owners called us saying he was vomiting I immediately thought maybe he got into something toxic or different food never thought parvo especially since the liter mates werent showing any signs and infact didnt until about 3 days later. During our bout with parvo we didnt see any blood in the poop like we thought was always present in parvo cases so dont ever think just because there isnt blood doesnt mean he is parvo free.
To the OP another thing to consider if anything like this happens again before surrendering the dog to a vet call teh breeder things like this should be covered by them and if it was parvo { we havent even heard what the pup had yet} the vet could tell you she didnt catch it in the 2-3 days you had her it was caught before you bought her. surrendering an animal before you talk with the breeder could very well void a guarantee or contract , most reputable breeders would A. either want to take the dog to there vet for treatment and diagnosis B. give that vet the ok to go ahead with treatment and opt to keep the pup themselfs atleast until healthy.Costs for such things would fall on the breeder in cases like this. Now if the dog was sick after a long enough period that you know he caught it in your care then thats on you to decide what you want.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The vet explained that it wasent parvo, it was because the puppy was too young to be without his mom, that he was full of worms. And had a very low body temp, I feel terrible about it all and the lady I go him from offered me a refund but also asked if I would want KIMBO? He is such a good dog plus He's a little older and knows basic commands. She cried when I left wig him so I know she wasent like "dumping another dog on me" she gave me all his vet bills showing he's up to date on everything, so I'm happy

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
The vet explained that it wasent parvo, it was because the puppy was too young to be without his mom, that he was full of worms. And had a very low body temp, I feel terrible about it all and the lady I go him from offered me a refund but also asked if I would want KIMBO? He is such a good dog plus He's a little older and knows basic commands. She cried when I left wig him so I know she wasent like "dumping another dog on me" she gave me all his vet bills showing he's up to date on everything, so I'm happy
I wouldn't take her vets paper work as proof of anything! Take your new pup to the vet with a stool sample and have him checked for worms ASAP! This a BYB at its finest. I really wish you went to a shelter and saved a life there but what's done is done. This lady sounds fishy to me as well and I wouldn't take her word on anything! Good luck with your new puppy......third times a charm ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Man you really can't catch a break! I'm very sorry to hear about your new pup dying.

I'd have to agree with the others though. If it were me, I'd be wary of dealing with this lady again. Like the old saying goes; Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. Good luck with what ever you decide.
I understand where everyone is coming from, but ROME didn die or have parvo. The vet explained he was very dehighdrated and body temp was low. He should've still been with his mom (which I didn't know that or I wouldn't of got him). But to make things right she gave me the option to have the dog KIMBO cause she wants him to have a good home. So I did, but I don't think she did/knew anything was wrong with ROME but I dont know exactly how she has took care of the litter either which I have no control over I just want to get past all the negative stuff Ive had to go through and move foward ya know

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.