Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
And I don't plan to, but I'm wondering how young can you realistically evaluate a pup in terms of temperament, for those that have had litters? I'm not good at evaluating a pup. So if I'm picking a puppy out and looking for one thats possibly less dominant and maybe more mellow etc, what should I look for? The older I get the more I want my dogs to be on the mellower side. Could I have a decent indication at 10 weeks old? Mine are strictly pets and agility courses so I prefer the smaller traditional types.

Planning to get another dog next year.

·
Administrator
4,835 Posts
Puppy that comes to you because curious but is not at the top of the puppy play pile. But a puppy at 10 weeks can go from extreme confidence to total pansy depending on how it's socialized along the way. A reputable breeder will pick the puppy that will fit your lifestyle best and ask you questions accordingly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Puppy that comes to you because curious but is not at the top of the puppy play pile. But a puppy at 10 weeks can go from extreme confidence to total pansy depending on how it's socialized along the way. A reputable breeder will pick the puppy that will fit your lifestyle best and ask you questions accordingly.
Thanks.

The youngest dog I've gotten in recent times was around 6 months old. The wife is excited about getting one around 8 weeks old. She loves little puppies and wishes every dog regardless of breed would stay a puppy 😀

For me I'm happy when they are out of that destructive puppy stage

·
Administrator
5,664 Posts
Thanks.

The youngest dog I've gotten in recent times was around 6 months old. The wife is excited about getting one around 8 weeks old. She loves little puppies and wishes every dog regardless of breed would stay a puppy 😀

For me I'm happy when they are out of that destructive puppy stage
For me, just the opposite. I LOVE when they are puppies. I always try to get them at around 8 weeks. They learn and train so much easier and I really enjoy watching them experience things for the first time.

·
Administrator
5,664 Posts
That's a good point. That first 6 months if they had bad experiences could really change the dog.
Exactly my thinking wilburmason. I was very fortunate to have a fantastic breeder with my latest puppy. She went live on Facebook three times a day from the pups were born showing them all. I got to see him from the day he was born to the day I picked him up.

Joe

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wait, what? That destructive phase ends?
Please inform Conner. Almost 10 months and still going strong in that area.😁
Can't wait to meet your new pup.
Sorry can't help with your ?. I'd take them all!
We picked Pheobe because she had the purple (my fave color) collar. I seriously could not choose and wanted them all, especially the little runt boy. Hubby liked her 'cuz she was just four weeks and growled at him.🥰. Waiting another four weeks was torture!! She is perfect for us, ornery and so friggin smart it amazes me everyday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts