Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
riginally Posted by Jabu View Post
hi i was so relieved to read i am not the only one struggling!! Jabu is very sweet and awesome if we walk alone but as soon as there is other dogs he goes crazy!! We just come back from training and yet again Jabu behaved aggressive towards the other dogs. I cooked liver (he loves it) kept it in my hand trying to keep his focus on me but alas!! It was officially our 6th class and still he wants to attack the other pups!!! Thought he will get used to them by now!!!????????? I walk him every morning for a whole hour and a half and after the first two blocks, trying to eat the other dogs, he calms down and its great!!!!!!!!!!!! he is then totally focused on me, listens to me and LISTENS when i talk or give a command - its confusing the hell out of me if we enter the training and he shows this "no attention, no focus JUST PULLING!!!!!!!!" towards the other (by now familiar pups)??? please help i feel so discouraged by today's lesson....i decided that i will not take him to the show because i wanted (with my whole heart) to show him off but i am afraid that we will only confirm to all the people that a pit is not a nice dog!THIS IS NOT WHAT I WANT AND JABU DOES NOT NEED TO BE LABELED BEFORE PEOPLE GET TO KNOW HIM..????? You see my predicament - i want people to see my jabu as i see him but honestly if he wasn't mine i might also have been judge mental if he came storming my little poodle!!!! he looks and acts ready to start and end a fight whenever he storms like this....i am not afraid of him but i know what he looks like to others - their startled looks confirm my thoughts.....please help SOS.......

· Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Just carrying treats and hoping the dog is interested won't be enough. You need to train him to focus on you when you give the command. Training is key. Start by training in your house. Get it 100%. I use "touch" for my boy. He responded well to it and it gets him focused on me and where my hand is. He'll come running wherever he is if I say it. He needs to focus on you as soon as you give the command and that starts at home. So I would start there. Have you looked into personal trainers for him to help you manage this?

Now dog aggression like I said before is not uncommon. Have you searched through some threads? Read up on it? It's very manageable.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

· Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Is he perhaps not just wanting to play hard?

I know that I had it with Jones when he was around other puppies he would over power them and bear his teeth a lot, but not as though he wanted to start a fight. (I ended play time when he would so this)

The focus game is very important. I am quite surprised that your trainer hasn't mentioned the focus game.

Maybe you should look into a "super pup" trainer. The woman I went to is registered with them and she was a lot of help to me.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hard play or aggresive??

I believe Jabu is playing hard and I must relax and ignore the stares from other people...we will keep on going to puppy classes but i will work on my own pace with jabu and not join in with the dog show. We have a 8/9 year old riffrug and a 5 year old poodle (with attitude) and a 2 year old male cat and he is fine with all of them! I never felt that NOW he is going for the kill but people tend to think the worse of him... the household's other dogs are female. Maybe the trainer is also not the right trainer for jabu? (no offense!! plse don't read this the wrong way) she made us change dogs again yesterday and jabu was all excited and i was still busy calming him when we had to change dogs - the owner of a smallest yorkie had to take my super strong puppy and he jumped and snarled and then she petted him on his back (he kept on pulling towards me!!!!!!!!) and he turned and showed some teeth!! needless to say she was shocked but everything turned out fine he walked with her (actually he was pulling and she was stepping like someone on a hot tin roof) When we changed back he immediatly calmed down and he laid down besides my but keet a stern look-out for anybody trying to take him ha-ha-ha what made me feel so very self consious was the fact that the dog i got was all exited to walk with me and sit down - it even made eye contact and was generally soooo well behaved - like he didn't even blink when he saw i was not his owner!!!????

· Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Yeah. The trainer should perhaps rethink switching out just any dog with just any owner. People get yap and cramp dogs got them because a strong dog is not their speed. Jabu might do better with some who has a GSD or a Rottie or a Staffie.

Just make sure that Jabu doesn't run over smaller dogs. It could cause problems for you with the owner. I steered away from the little dogs with Jones. And got him to play nicely with the labs and GSDs. Labs can be a bit rough and tumble too which is nice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.