Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone inform me of the laws associated with pit bull/dangerous dog breeds in Jackson Co., GA? I have just recently moved here from Ohio. I haven't even been able to register her yet---would I do that at the courthouse (that's where dog tags are obtained from my hometown)? We have an acre of wooded property that she's been great about staying on without a leash but always supervised. This morning she took off into the woods after a squirrel (she normally comes right back after it has defeated her), but this time she didn't come back and its been well over 6 hours now. I'm being optimistic that she'll wonder back, but since the area is still new to her, I'm afraid she might have gotten further that she knows. Can you help me on the regulation laws so that I can prepare myself in case she gets picked up by animal control?
Thanks a million!!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Can anyone inform me of the laws associated with pit bull/dangerous dog breeds in Jackson Co., GA? I have just recently moved here from Ohio. I haven't even been able to register her yet---would I do that at the courthouse (that's where dog tags are obtained from my hometown)? We have an acre of wooded property that she's been great about staying on without a leash but always supervised. This morning she took off into the woods after a squirrel (she normally comes right back after it has defeated her), but this time she didn't come back and its been well over 6 hours now. I'm being optimistic that she'll wonder back, but since the area is still new to her, I'm afraid she might have gotten further that she knows. Can you help me on the regulation laws so that I can prepare myself in case she gets picked up by animal control?
Thanks a million!!!
Seeing how I live right next to Jackson County and I'm there ALL the time, you better pray she comes back. Jackson County does not have a leash law and there is a chance if she wondered onto the wrong property she could have been shot. People are allowed to shoot loose dogs that come onto their property. There is also A LOT of stray dogs as well. What part of Jackson County are you in?

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
General control.
(1)
It shall be unlawful for the owner of any animal to permit such animal to be out of his immediate control and restraint, or to be left
unattended off the premises of the owner, or to be upon the property of another person without the permission of the owner or person in
possession of such other property. For the purposes of this chapter, condominium and apartment common property shall not be
considered to be the premises of the animal owner. Voice control may constitute control of an animal.
(2)
Restraint of dogs and/or animals shall be maintained as follows:
a.
When upon the premises of the owner, all animals shall be kept indoors or in a primary enclosure as defined by this chapter in such a
manner as to contain the animal within the bounds of the owner's premises, or on a leash in the hands of a person that possesses the
ability to restrain the animal.
b.
When off the premises of the owner, all animals shall at a minimum be maintained on an appropriate chain, leash or tie not exceeding 12
feet in length, and in the hands of a person who possesses the ability to restrain the animal.
(3)
The requirements of subsection (a)2 of this section shall not apply in the areas zoned for agricultural purposes or where the owner of the
dog is using the dog for hunting or working purposes on property with the permission of the owner or person in possession of such other
property. If the dog is being used for hunting purposes the owner shall have on his person a valid hunting license. Dogs, while hunting, or
show dogs while being shown, are not required to wear a collar or dog tag; but the owner shall have the dog tag in his possession where it
may be shown upon demand of a representative of JCAC.
(4)
No person shall tie, stake or fasten any animal within any street, alley, sidewalk, right-of-way, or other public place within the county or in
such manner that the animal has access to any portion of any street, alley, sidewalk or other public place.
(5)
Every female dog and cat in heat shall be confined in a building or other enclosure in such a manner that such female dog or cat cannot
come into contact with an intact male of the same species except for planned breeding.
(6)
Every animal shall be restrained and controlled so as to prevent it from causing property damage, harassing pedestrians or bicyclists,
molesting passersby, chasing vehicles, or attacking persons or other animals.

Check out the Animal Control section of the county site

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Thank you Lauren, I knew I could count on you, I was not sure where to look for this at, thanks for the help. :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Please email me a photo so I can alert GA animal controls: [email protected]

I really hope she comes back and if she does, please do not let her off leash again. I got 2 emails this week of pit bulls shot in GA. If she goes into an animal control injured, they do not have to hold her for any amount of time. Is she microchipped?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.