Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone i was wandering how to increase my dogs jumping ability strait up and also further,thanks in advanse

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well, I have a rope tied to a tree with a circle ring then a clamp (one of those hook things, looks like -> \? ) then 2 6 inch springs then 2 of those clamps with a rope. i started low then after a while i raised it and kept doing that. she jumps as high as me now. Its a good idea to get you dog to learn the drop command. You can get a lot of training dont byy telling your dog to sit, (then wait), they say "get it" wait a while then say "drop it". also dont do it too long or all the time because its not good for thier teeth to be pulling like that all the time. I also put the rope on a tree and get her to run up it. Shes like a cat lol. justing letting you know what I do.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
I don't have much experience with improving it. I'd imagine exercise, but then you need the confidence to as well. I'd think a spring pole could help with that.

But remember, a dog under 2 years old should not be jumping a lot, it can be detrimental to their growth. (Just saying, I am unaware of your dog's age.)

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
ive never tried to get mine to jump high but i guess you could try a spring pole :)

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
I also have my pup run up trees, find a big one with a slant and I hold up sticks so he can run up and grab them. he makes it higher than I can hold up the stick :) Don't know if its helped, but he gets higher and higher and now climbs straight trees without a problem.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't have much experience with improving it. I'd imagine exercise, but then you need the confidence to as well. I'd think a spring pole could help with that.

But remember, a dog under 2 years old should not be jumping a lot, it can be detrimental to their growth. (Just saying, I am unaware of your dog's age.)
im not calling you a liar or denying any credintials you may have. my dogs jump all the time and they are 11 months. do you have expierence or a crediable source about the detrimental growth? i have no knowledge about this, thx

Reactions: performanceknls

·
Banned
18 Posts
you safely add wight to you dog. like with one of those wieghted harnesses. then get your dog to jump. the first time i did it my dog jumped just as high as she normaly did. but when i took it of she could jump over my head.....im 6.3. im a mma fighter and when im trying to increase my hand speed i bench light light wieght and throw it in the air and catch it. this help biuld explosive power. you cant just biuld the muscles you have to teach them to be more powerfull for a dhort amount of time

jumping is bad for any dog its hard on there joints. when dogs are still growing they shouldnt be doing anything thats hard on there body. i dont think it will stunt there growth but dogs younger than 18 months have not developed all of there adult coordination. so its more likely they would land wrong and hurt something

tie a live rodent to a string thats out of his reach. hahaha no that was a joke that would be cruel. but you guys have to amit for a dog with alot of prey drive that would work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts