Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
This will be my first time post here, so be gentle. I am the proud owner of a beautiful 8 month old APBT called Baily. Now before owning her I must admit I was one of those weary joe public kind of guys who really didn’t understand the breed, and it took a hell of a lot of convincing from my wife to actually bring Baily home from the breeder. I can honestly put up my hand and say my misconception where totaly misplaced and that I have found a breed for life.
The main reason I am posting, out here in South Africa, there seems to be a general opinion that if your dogs pedigree does not show a proven “tested” dog, then it is definitely not an APBT as it cannot proven to be game. Now I’m 100% against dog fighting and could never imagine putting my dog in a pit to prove its gameness, and because of that fact, if I have to call her a petbull instead of an APBT, well I can do that with a smile on my face and a clear conscience. What is your view on testing for gameness and is it frowned upon in the general APBT community.
Thanks
Brad

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
We have talked about this a lot on this forum. Basically if you don't want to land your butt in jail you will turn away from game testing as in this country at least where I live the USA game testing these dog's is illegal.

I do however believe game testing is necessary to retain gameness within the breed and to preserve our working lines that are hundreds of years old. Gameness is the sole reason these dog's were bred for to begin with and without it they would be just another Show bred Staff. Over time breeding dog's away from their origins changes these dog's as we saw with the American Staffordshire Terrier's. Because Dog sporting is not yet outlawed everywhere across the globe the American Pit bull Terrier is being preserved true to form and function and our working bloodline's are being maintained.

This subject is a very controversial one and usually the people who actually own real APBT's dogs bred from game dog's AKA proven stock usually agree that in order to maintain the breed as the APBT game testing must continue.

Then you have show and pet bull owner's who don't understand it they see these dog's as victims of their own genetics if you will when really these dog's are no different than any other breed as every breed has a purpose ours just happens to be blood sports. Some people just can't stomach their history and want to own the breed but don't want to accept what they signed on for and want nothing to do with their history even if that means altering this breeds genetics in which case the APBT would be no more.

I personally embrace it and acknowledge it as these are working dog's first and foremost. Therefore I appreciate and respect them for what they were bred to be. I am also one of those believer's that if it's not box bred it's not an APBT. However this debate is a never ending one enthusiasts from both sides working vs show will argue over it show breeder's will claim them to be APBT's even if they are show bred dogs without game tested dog's anywhere close in the pedigree or a mix of staff and working blood. And working dog owner's typically unite and stand by the fact if they are not bred for the box they are just staff's anyway. If you go to a working dog forum you will see the stand point is very different on the responses you will get when this question is proposed.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I just wanted to add you can't expect to alter an entire breed's genetics, breed them away from their original purpose and expect them to function the same way and manner in which they did. It's not going to happen not in a million years. Gameness is the only thing these dog's were bred for to remove it completely out of the gene pools you are removing the breed's main virtue that ties into many other aspects of this breed being that these dog's are a working breed. Part of what makes them so very unique from a working breed standpoint is gameness it also separates them from every other working breed out there. If we turn away from gameness we ignore the very reason for this breed's existence. That is not something I myself can do.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Man, i had a looong answer to this all typed out but I realised I was rambling a bit. Suffice to say, although I personally have no need for an animal from tested stock, I understand that others do have uses for them (besides dog matching).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the prompt reply guys, after reading Mr. Foxs blog Future Website of rayfox6, I can see the reasoning of breeding game proven dogs, and it would seem that the banning of dog fighting has only done more damage than good. By forcing the practice underground it has handed the sport to unsavory characters whos primary concern seems to be the bottom line and not the welfare of there dogs. In saying that though, I dont think I would have the heart to place my dog in a fighting pit in todays environment, (I'm 6'3, weigh 105Kg and play eighth man for my local rugby club, but am a big softy when it comes to my dogs), I came into the breed mainly as I wanted a dog that would be good around my 4 year old and 8 month old daughters ie a good family pet, and was just getting a bit fed up on the south african forums for admitting to being a petbull owner:), and was curious if that was a general attitude world wide.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
To some a petbull is useless because they were bred to work but most breeds were bred for a purpose. My girl is a petbull :) who cares what others think ;)

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
...was just getting a bit fed up on the south african forums for admitting to being a petbull owner:), and was curious if that was a general attitude world wide.
Hey, my dogs are pets only. They're not even APBTs (I've got SBTs) but I seem to get along OK here. You should be fine.

Edit: I forgot to say welcome to the forum!

Reactions: American_Pit13

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Thanks for the prompt reply guys, after reading Mr. Foxs blog Future Website of rayfox6, I can see the reasoning of breeding game proven dogs, and it would seem that the banning of dog fighting has only done more damage than good. By forcing the practice underground it has handed the sport to unsavory characters whos primary concern seems to be the bottom line and not the welfare of there dogs. In saying that though, I dont think I would have the heart to place my dog in a fighting pit in todays environment, (I'm 6'3, weigh 105Kg and play eighth man for my local rugby club, but am a big softy when it comes to my dogs), I came into the breed mainly as I wanted a dog that would be good around my 4 year old and 8 month old daughters ie a good family pet, and was just getting a bit fed up on the south african forums for admitting to being a petbull owner:), and was curious if that was a general attitude world wide.
:goodpost: Yep you got that right! Thus now we have plenty of dog fighter's and very few dog men left ;)

I couldn't fight my dog's either :) and they are bred for that very purpose. I enjoy the legal working aspect of the breed which wouldn't be possible had they not been bred for real work. These dog's make excellent pet's! there is no doubt about that you couldn't have picked a better breed to serve that purpose. They also make for some outstanding workers. The attitude about game testing and preservation is usually divided between working vs pet/show owners. This is where you will see the differences of opinions. Usually the working dog crowd is very proactive in preserving these dog's for obvious reasons. Welcome to the forum please let us know if you have any other questions.

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
so as per this conversation,A petbull can be a maneater too?
and being bred away from it's original form as to game,where most HA dogs were put down,the pet bull could be held more responsible for bite/mauls than the true to form game bred/sought true to form pit bull.
come on now, by genetic discontinuation of putting down HA dogs,we leave room for them to become or show agressiveness towards humans because i lightning rod is a lightning rod,no matter where you put it.
just some musing from an old gamer who sees this happen.and more regularly.
just because I personally have stopped fighting, myself,in A set arena, does not mean I won't knock someone down, or line up to get knocked down.
ah the variables.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
:goodpost: Yep you got that right! Thus now we have plenty of dog fighter's and very few dog men left ;)

I couldn't fight my dog's either :) and they are bred for that very purpose. I enjoy the legal working aspect of the breed which wouldn't be possible had they not been bred for real work. These dog's make excellent pet's! there is no doubt about that you couldn't have picked a better breed to serve that purpose. They also make for some outstanding workers. The attitude about game testing and preservation is usually divided between working vs pet/show owners. This is where you will see the differences of opinions. Usually the working dog crowd is very proactive in preserving these dog's for obvious reasons. Welcome to the forum please let us know if you have any other questions.
:goodpost: Owning the breed and using them for the sport are completely different. Respecting their history and owning a fighting dog doesnt mean you have to [], however to own a well bred APBT does mean the [] isn't too far behind.

I, like Sadie, couldn't [] dogs i have owned and currently own. However if you own a Petbull and then you own an APBT, some may be surprised how different they are from one another in many ways.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Girl, Aussies are awesome!! ;) haha

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!!

*waits for reply* ;)

Deslain, welcome to the forum :)
Oi! Oi! Oi!

Sorry, mate didn't mean to leave you hanging there!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts