Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder why am bullies are more often referred to pitbulls than am staffs. Considering bullies especially those in the early 90s more closely resembled am staff and some were even reg by the akc as am staffs.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Other than then ukc is to lenient

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
uneducated owners thats all they dont know what they own. Plus all those breeds could be referred to as a "pit bull" type breed as pit bull in itself is not a breed. Doesnt help the UKC refers to them still as APBT so alot of people go with what is on the paper work referring back to not knowing better.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bulldog should be the term for any unreg bully breed imho. My adba dogs and my abkc dogs and all my "pit" mixes fostered are all bulldogs long removed from the pit are all my little bulldogs.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
You can call them what you like but as far as BSL and media are concerned all our bullys, bulldogges, apbt's, am staffs , mixes , mutts will be knows as pit bulls. I think people get to caught up in what to call our dogs when really it doesnt matter to those who want to destroy it they are all the same in there eyes.
But I do get where you are comming from, I own american bullys and refer to them as such even though in many eyes they are looked at as pit bulls. call them what you like :)

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Point being if you purchase a none proven, none health certified, none reg dog, ect, ect,and with the intention of making money and not preserving the breed. Please adopt. They are just as cool to the untrained eye. Trust me the money in dog breeding aint good at all and even the best hardly break even

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the past year ive fostered 22 "bulldogs". 16 orphans under 7 weeks. Out of those 22 17 were adopted

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Take it up with the UKC as they are the ones who allowed them to be registered as APBTs and then never pulled papers. Don't complain about what other people call them if that is what they were told by the UKC. I am a stickler for calling dogs what they are whether it be Am Staff, Staffy Bull, game bred, game dog, show dog, American Bully, APBT, cur, etc etc. If you call a dog by its correct name then I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Take it up with the UKC as they are the ones who allowed them to be registered as APBTs and then never pulled papers. Don't complain about what other people call them if that is what they were told by the UKC. I am a stickler for calling dogs what they are whether it be Am Staff, Staffy Bull, game bred, game dog, show dog, American Bully, APBT, cur, etc etc. If you call a dog by its correct name then I wouldn't worry about it.
Agreed but 90% literally of the dogs in our local pounds are referred to as pit bull mixes. I personally am tired of representing a breed that no longer has proper representation. I love all animals but why does this constantly happen with bully breeds. For example a gsd is a gsd. A rottweiller is a rotweiller. A chow chow dog labeled as is. It just seem more than media propaganda to me its more the owner than media. Only we decide the fat of the beautiful animals not the media. Even if we have to physically take them out of harms way. Ownership should be regulated even for adopted animals. Breeding rights should be eay more regulated.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
I wonder why am bullies are more often referred to pitbulls than am staffs. Considering bullies especially those in the early 90s more closely resembled am staff and some were even reg by the akc as am staffs.
Marketing, pure and simple. Taking advantage of the 'toughness' associated behind the APBT name and using it to take advantage of peoples ignorance.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Agreed but 90% literally of the dogs in our local pounds are referred to as pit bull mixes. I personally am tired of representing a breed that no longer has proper representation. I love all animals but why does this constantly happen with bully breeds. For example a gsd is a gsd. A rottweiller is a rotweiller. A chow chow dog labeled as is. It just seem more than media propaganda to me its more the owner than media. Only we decide the fat of the beautiful animals not the media. Even if we have to physically take them out of harms way. Ownership should be regulated even for adopted animals. Breeding rights should be eay more regulated.
But "pit bull" in itself isnt a breed its a type of dog so them saying pit bull mix doesnt really bother me. Now if they got specific and said APBT mix or Am bully mix then I can see taking offense to that.Or if they said "pit bull" without the mix , But like I said before if it resembles a bully breed at all it will be labelled as a "pit bull". I think owners adopting those dogs should be told its a pit bull mix so they can better be prepared to deal with "pit bull" type issues that come along with the bully breeds and be able to research more into it. Although I do think alot of mixes that arent bully get mis labelled in the shelters as "pit bull".

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
"Pit Bull" is a generic term used by the media to lump all bull breeds together to raise dog bite stats. Even boxers are being called "pit bulls" by the media cause "pit bull attack" sells. It's all a bunch of crap if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Akita+ lab/apbt= pit mix
Apbt + pointeer= pit mix
Chow + apbt= pit mix
Collie/apbt/hound + lab/dobie = pit mix

Do you see what im getting at?

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
Pit bull is also a nick name for an APBT. Has been for a long time. Like calling rottweilers/ Rotties, Dobermans/ Dobies, Miniature Pinschers/ Min Pins. I think a more appropriate nomer for a shelter dog would be a "bully breed" mix. Because people are always going to associate "pit bull" with the Am. Pit Bull Terrier.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Pit bull is also a nick name for an APBT. Has been for a long time. Like calling rottweilers/ Rotties, Dobermans/ Dobies, Miniature Pinschers/ Min Pins. I think a more appropriate nomer for a shelter dog would be a "bully breed" mix. Because people are always going to associate "pit bull" with the Am. Pit Bull Terrier.
:goodpost:

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Akita+ lab/apbt= pit mix
Apbt + pointeer= pit mix
Chow + apbt= pit mix
Collie/apbt/hound + lab/dobie = pit mix

Do you see what im getting at?
But they are all Pit Bulls. Its not a breed. I would argue that the media needs to under stand any dogs called a pit bull is a mutt, pure and simple. If they got that, then maybe the other uninformed people would get it.

Or as Indie said, call them bull dog's. I am not a fan of adding mix, bull dog mix, pit bull mix, when bull dog and pit bull are not a breed. They are a pit bull or a bull dog, bottom line. If you know the Heritage then call them APBT or English Bull Dog, etc. Adding MIX makes it seem like bull dog or pit bull is a breed when, you add mix. JMO

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
But they are all Pit Bulls. Its not a breed. I would argue that the media needs to under stand any dogs called a pit bull is a mutt, pure and simple. If they got that, then maybe the other uninformed people would get it.

Or as Indie said, call them bull dog's. I am not a fan of adding mix, bull dog mix, pit bull mix, when bull dog and pit bull are not a breed. They are a pit bull or a bull dog, bottom line. If you know the Heritage then call them APBT or English Bull Dog, etc. Adding MIX makes it seem like bull dog or pit bull is a breed when, you add mix. JMO
but if its a "pit bull" type breed mixed with collie or something I think that falls under pit bull mix or mutt would work.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
but if its a "pit bull" type breed mixed with collie or something I think that falls under pit bull mix or mutt would work.
I guess, but to me they are just pit bull's. I mean are we talking that the Pit Bull is not a breed and means its a mutt, then add mix to the name gives people support that the pit bull IS a breed. I get what you mean, a Poodle is not considered a pit bull and when you have a mix of those they are poodle mix if thats what looks predominant. It just seems redundant to call a pit bull a mix when that's what a pit bull means, they are a mutt or a mix or unknown heritage.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts