Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While walking one of my pups, I had a gentleman (read: *******) ask me what kind of dog he was. I proudly said APBT! He looked at me kind of puzzled and said, "His face is too narrow and he isn't big enough to be a pit bull". Wow! This man was clearly intelligent LOL. I was going to point out to this person that being a ******* doesn't necessarily mean you have a "*******", but this was supposed to be a friendly walk. Now, I proceeded to walk another couple of blocks when an african american gentleman stopped his car to tell me what a gorgeous pit bull I had....ahh, my faith was being restored. Then he followed that comment up with, "I got some blues ready in about 6 weeks if you want to get one". OK, this walk was getting funny. As I finished the walk, it really dawned on me that the public has been so brainwashed with the influx of what is currently being bred and the rap videos that showcase this that I honestly don't think most people would even recognize a true APBT if it came up and bit them (bad choice of words). 80 pound dogs that look like they're on steroids, with heads as big as houses is what they equate to an APBT. The true APBT has been replaced.
Oh yeah, I was also forced to pick my pup up from a charging "wiener dog", whereby the owner gave me a dirty look as if I was in the wrong for walking a leashed ball of fire. I could see in my pup's eyes that he was wondering where he could get some hotdog buns for this treat LOL. All in all, a very educational walk. Now, I know why I usually walk at night. Next time I will wear earmuffs.
Happy Holidays everyone!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
lmao at wanting hot dog buns lol. But what you described is pretty common I think,. When I bought Lue i thought she was a apbt bully style lol. When I had 1st seen a true APBt I thought it was crossed with grey hound really had no idea. We dont see alot of APBTs up here i think when i went to the ADBA shows were the 1st time seeing one up close. Everyone thinks the bullys are what true pitbulls are, Thankfully i was set right on what was what a long time ago and I do see others around my area change as well. I have seen american bully advertised locally now and hopefully that will improve and help fix this confusion so many have over the breed. Ive had walks like that though , days were you wonder why you didnt just stay home and play on the spring pole or something LOL.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lmao at wanting hot dog buns lol. But what you described is pretty common I think,. When I bought Lue i thought she was a apbt bully style lol. When I had 1st seen a true APBt I thought it was crossed with grey hound really had no idea. We dont see alot of APBTs up here i think when i went to the ADBA shows were the 1st time seeing one up close. Everyone thinks the bullys are what true pitbulls are, Thankfully i was set right on what was what a long time ago and I do see others around my area change as well. I have seen american bully advertised locally now and hopefully that will improve and help fix this confusion so many have over the breed. Ive had walks like that though , days were you wonder why you didnt just stay home and play on the spring pole or something LOL.
So true. I am on my holiday vacation and the weather is not bad, so I'm getting all the walks in before winter gets nasty. Some people are just lost causes I suppose....which is fine, because I don't claim to know it all either. Merry Christmas to you!!!

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
I've been saying that all along. The general public has no idea what a true pitbull is and this is not something now. I had game dogs through the 90's and everyone thought they were mixes. I always told my neighbors they were lab mixes as not to cause widespread panic. Black lab mix plays with the neighbors kid and a claw scrapes him, no big deal, pitbull does it and it could be animal control situation. I've been using that ignorance for years:)
I get a blue pitterstaff after my black Boudreaux dog dies and everyone knows it's a pitbull! This is the way of the world and people should use it to their advantage.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was living in an apartment complex back in the low 90's when I purchased Cuda, an APBT. They wouldn't allow pit bulls or dogs over 60lbs. The weight wasn't an issue, but they did ask me if he was a pit bull because he gave that impression. I simply said he was an amstaff and...abracadabra!...we were welcomed. A few well chosen words and I had a place to stay.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
I was living in an apartment complex back in the low 90's when I purchased Cuda, an APBT. They wouldn't allow pit bulls or dogs over 60lbs. The weight wasn't an issue, but they did ask me if he was a pit bull because he gave that impression. I simply said he was an amstaff and...abracadabra!...we were welcomed. A few well chosen words and I had a place to stay.
damn too bad people have added them to the list now! I even see AmBully being called out in some rental ads, which surprised me.

I usually walk with my headphones in, but not on. I need to hear an idiot letting their dog run up on me but don't want to encourage chit chat lol

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
i love interesting walks :) and im right with you Saint, we are the ones with the "mixes" nowadays LMFAO

·
Gotta Love Them Red Dogs!
487 Posts
I totally know what you mean;
O'Malley has been a Boxer mix, Chocolate Labrador mix, and Pointer mix (WTF?)
all in two years.

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I totally know what you mean;
O'Malley has been a Boxer mix, Chocolate Labrador mix, and Pointer mix (WTF?)
all in two years.
My old pup Jack (light red to buckskin with black nose) was called a Rhodesian Ridgeback once....say what? BTW, RR's are beautiful dogs, so I guess it was half a compliment.

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
My old pup Jack (light red to buckskin with black nose) was called a Rhodesian Ridgeback once....say what? BTW, RR's are beautiful dogs, so I guess it was half a compliment.
ive used the rhodesian angle a few times in a BSL pinch :)

·
Registered
816 Posts
i am from los angeles , and i doubt that there are more bullies anywhere else in the country ...... what you guys have to realize is that the way to fight ignorance is to TEACH....not to attack or defend against.....

one year ago half the APBT with uncropped ears I see now i would never have guessed was a pit bull..... and now of course after educating myself on the breed , roots etc etc and owning a 7 month old APBT that i bought in PA because I didnt want to buy a dog in LA i see things much differently. but what a pitbull was for me growing up in LA (i am 39) was more the bully style ....not quite like it is today , these dogs seem too close to bulldogs .....imagine an APBT crossed with a bully and thats more like what i remember as a teenager seeing everywhere.

the point is.....today , i go anywhere with samson and half the people will either ask me wut breed he is or they will ask me pit bull mix? ....so rather than me shine them off , i take the time to explain the differences between the different types of "pit bulls" ......history, their temperament , .....but none of that means squat, ...samson does the talking by jumping on them and licking them to death LOL.

I rather teach someone than walk away.

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
People ask me all the time (in a fearful tone) "is that a pit bull?" To which I always say...no its a bulldog. I try to educate them and explain to them what a "pit bull" truly is and explain to them their temperament...but only a handful look like they really listen. The rest are just consumed by the ignorant media and faulty public perception...its overwhelming sometimes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts