Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my veterinarian; she saved my dogs life and has provided exceptional care for her. She has the animals best interest in mind, not her customers which can be problematic at times but as far as quality care and concern for your pet, she is number 1. With that said :) she really needs to start understanding that people are not made of money. I take ginnie in this morning to have a growth removed off of her right elbow and to have a growth removed from her gums and have a dental prophylaxis. I was quoted $355. They call me to come get her and they are telling me $530. I about :poop: myself!!! I go in and after reviewing the invoice I had to have them remove 3 things off the bill because they were unneccessary. My dog is diabetic and it costs a pretty penny to maintain her and they want to sell me some crap you rub on the gums to keep the teeth clean; she says "that way we won't have to put her under in the future for a dental." Hello the dog is 9 years old, this is the first dental she has ever had in her life, the only reason i agreed was because she was going to be put inder for the growth on the elbow anyway so i figured what the hell go ahead. I told her I'm never going to get this dog's teeth cleaned again, I'm on a strict budget, cut me some friggin slack. So after being looked at like I'm neglecting my dog, they take those things off the bill, i pay them and then I leave made to feel like Im a bad owner or something. I know the vet means well and she is very qualified thats why I put up with her insistant "extras" every time i take ginnie to the vet. She loves holisitic remedies which I give credit that her methods are effective, but they are expensive! Keeping my dog alive and paying bills is my first priority and if the vet doesn't like it too bad. I had to vent...i feel better now! Either this or i go postal in the vet office and take everyone with me!! lol

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
lol that big a difference from the quote to actual price id have flipped lol . my vet gives us a quote on paper and we sign it and thats what we spend if for some reason it would go over he calls and clears it with us 1st. Im lucky though our vet is amazing and this recent trip that should very well be near $1000 is sitting at like $380 so dont have to vent on that aspect like you have lol , hope this is the only time she needs her teeth cleaned there , do you brush her teeth at all? 9 years thats pretty good ,luna is only a lil over a year and prob needs to go in soon to get her teeth cleaned.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Please no bashing ( me)

I have been in the veterinary field since 1988.
Being on the other side of the fence.. I don't think the public really understands the cost of everything. The vet doesn't get anything for free. There is a mortgage, insurance, employees, software, medicine, electric, oxygen, care of the lawn, order more stuff, ...and the list goes on.

There are some vets, who I do believe just care about the money.. but I have worked for a vet just like yours.. really does care, but has to charge what they charge.
We had to raise our prices last week, not because the doc need a new boat, but because, the pharmaceutical company raised theirs.

Teeth.
I preform the dentals at work. The reason for a teeth cleaning is to keep the gums and teeth healthy. Bacteria can, and will create problems for the liver and kidneys. 9 years old isn't old, if the dog is in good health. This is why we do blood test.:)

I hope you can better understand the 'high' prices.

·
Registered
135 Posts
ok one more thing.. the receptionist should have told you that the estimate was just that, and it could change. If I quote a price, and I get in there, and notice that I have teeth to pull.. then the 'estimate' goes up. This is hard to tell when given the first estimate.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Understood Kathleen. I know I went off the deep end but it gets stressful when you want the best for your dog and you only have so much resources available. I worked out a payment plan of 2 installments so it wasnt too bad but my only thing was that the increases in the price were things that should have been included in the original quote such as iv fluids and medications to take home. It wasn't like there were any emergencies that occured. Of course if my dog's heart stops on the operating table, Yes i want you to epi and get that heart going again. But if you feel that i should use an oral cleaner, dont just add it on my bill, discuss it with me and we can take it from there, especially since she knew the price was higher than the original quote to begin with. If they had called me beforehand and told me the quote would be increased because we forgot to add in iv and meds to the original quote i would have had no problem but they just took it upon themselves to operate and tell me the damages afterwards. I don't want my dog to do without, I just want to be prepared to drop whatever amount its going to be when i take my dog in for services. This is my only bad experience with my vet and I let it be known respectfully when I was there that this is unexceptable and will not happen again. We cleared it up and like I said I hope i didnt make it seem that I am ungrateful for her services because as I stated before, my dog would be dead if it wasn't for that woman. We have a love/hate relationship :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol that big a difference from the quote to actual price id have flipped lol . my vet gives us a quote on paper and we sign it and thats what we spend if for some reason it would go over he calls and clears it with us 1st. Im lucky though our vet is amazing and this recent trip that should very well be near $1000 is sitting at like $380 so dont have to vent on that aspect like you have lol , hope this is the only time she needs her teeth cleaned there , do you brush her teeth at all? 9 years thats pretty good ,luna is only a lil over a year and prob needs to go in soon to get her teeth cleaned.
I do brush her teeth but i confess i have slacked in recent months which probably led to the dental problem in the first place. Thats awesome your vet hooked you up on the price, my vet is also very reasonable on her prices as well very knowledgeable. She has a diabetic dog :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts