Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beau and Takoda got into a pretty intense fight about 20 or so minutes ago. I think a treat may have fell in the dog kennel while I had my back turned to pick up a leash....next thing I know BAM! Beau and Takoda are going at it!! Yup, my 19 pound Beagle tried to take on my 40 pound Lab/Mountain Cur mix. I'm hoping they'll still get along after this, but I'm going to give them a few days apart from each other to cool off. And no I did not get bit, thanks to what I learned on here for breaking up dog fights, I grabbed Takoda by the collar and choked her out to get her to let go of Beau's head and then grabbed Beau's collar to choke him out to get him let go of Takoda's leg....which he WOULD NOT DO!!! Whoever said Beagles aren't vicious have never seen this dog. He would not let go for the life of him. When he finally did, I carried him out of the pen and began the process of cleaning up the blood. No major puncture holes or scrapes, mostly just drool and a few minor scrapes and holes.

And yes, I broke this fight up by myself with no one's help. Why I didn't have my break stick or a leash....I didn't have time to grab them, so I did the next best thing and I didn't panic.

And no I did not post this to brag about my dog fight, just putting up so other people can see any breed of dog can fight.

Both dogs are fine, and no vet trips will be needed. Let this be a LESSON to anyone with a dog, this two dogs are NOT even APBT. They are a Beagle and Lab mutt and they still go into a fight. Any dog of any breed can and will fight!!

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
Glad you and the pups are all OK! Fights are scary stuff, sorry you had to go through it but glad things are ok!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Glad everyone is ok , could have been alot worse .

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
Good job breaking up the fight, i think its a good thing that we more seasoned post on here about accidental fights.. It reminds people just starting out with these dogs the seriousness that can happen..Even though we aren't talking about two APBT's the end result could have been the same if you weren't right there and quick to remove them.

Although most of us know plenty of stories or have experienced enough in our own yards, these kind of posts every so often i think can help.. Though if someone is needing to break up a fight every day something aint right. lol

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
Glad the collar trick worked and got them apart! Sucks when fights happen. I am pushing it now and just wait for an accident here lol. Knock on wood and all that ;)

Hopefully they are both ok and maybe if triggers stay out of their way they may be able to be together again. Try it with 2 people just in case things don't work.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Hope yours can be together ,after our big one here last month we now have another 2 who cant be together :( , I agree try with 2 people there this time and break sticks on hand. they ever had issues before? or was this just out of the blue? if there were issues befoer i wouldnt even try them togther again.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Glad everyone's OK.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I am glad they are both okay and you were not hurt but I have a question. It was my understanding that you are not to use a break stick on any dog other then a Pit. If you would of used one won't that of harmed the dog or can it be used on other dogs if you are experienced in using break sticks.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
I don't see why you can't use breaksticks on other breeds, I used to know a K9 officer that used one. (GSD) Please enlighten me if I'm incorrect though.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
I don't see why you can't use breaksticks on other breeds, I used to know a K9 officer that used one. (GSD) Please enlighten me if I'm incorrect though.
its got to do with re-directing apbts are not supposed to re-direct it was a bad trait no one wanted to get bit when they took the dog to the [].

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
Its too risky and not practical, many non bull and terrier/bulldogs bite and release vs bite and hold. Using a break stick on other breeds can result in redirect biting as well as causing damage to the dog you were to use it on. Many dogs also has a more narrow passage which makes it difficult to properly use one and keep it effective.

A GSD is one of the few "other" breeds you could probably get away with using a break stick on though the likely hood of a redirect bite would also be relatively high.

Reactions: DueceAddicTed

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Its too risky and not practical, many non bull and terrier/bulldogs bite and release vs bite and hold. Using a break stick on other breeds can result in redirect biting as well as causing damage to the dog you were to use it on. Many dogs also has a more narrow passage which makes it difficult to properly use one and keep it effective.

A GSD is one of the few "other" breeds you could probably get away with using a break stick on though the likely hood of a redirect bite would also be relatively high.
thats a big deal, ive been redirected on and it sucks. theres a youtube vid somewhere on here and the guy explains it perfectly...even warns about redirects from non-apbt's

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have also used a break stick on an American Bulldog when I owned them... However the likelihood of a redirect bit with them is high as well... It is something to do with the personal protection or guardian mentality... But I would have to look it up again to be sure...

·
Registered
2 Posts
My beagle was actually the absolute worst dog I've ever owned. They are a TRIP. It honestly doesn't surprise me to hear of a Beagle getting into a dog fight based on my experience with the breed. Very very very stubborn breed.

Them, Chow Chow, Huskies and Akitas... I'm never surprised when I hear something troublesome about them. What surprises me though is that the Lab was angered enough to throw down. Must have been a hell of a treat!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My beagle was actually the absolute worst dog I've ever owned. They are a TRIP. It honestly doesn't surprise me to hear of a Beagle getting into a dog fight based on my experience with the breed. Very very very stubborn breed.

Them, Chow Chow, Huskies and Akitas... I'm never surprised when I hear something troublesome about them. What surprises me though is that the Lab was angered enough to throw down. Must have been a hell of a treat!
What is sad is the Beagle won the fight, the lab would hold and let go...the old fart would NOT let go!!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I thought to soon.....they got into another fight tonight and this is the end of them being near each other. Takoda attacked Beau this time, over what I have no clue. But when I broke up the fight, she kept circling me and eyeing me NOT him.....so who knows where this will lead. I'm guessing she was just amped up from the fight and was still in fight mode, but the look she gave me, she wouldn't back down no matter how many times I kicked her away or nailed her in the mouth with my foot, she kept circling and jumping and not snapping but nipping I guess. So I'm going to see if keeping them apart will work......

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts

Im never surprised to hear labs get down, I think they have alot of similar issues going on with that breed as any of the other "big poopular" breeds are having. We got attacked by a lab recently and have heard many other similar storys about them just not being the "family" dog they are known to be. I would never own a lab unless it was imported I just think we will be seeing alot more "attacks and issues" come up with that breed too bad they prob wont be listed as a lab in the papers lol.
My Aunt breeds beagles and they are pretty tough lil dogs for there size , I havent seen hers go at it ever but im sure they would put up a good fight if ever provoked really stubborn breed those dogs LOL .

·
RateMyPitbull.com Moderator
4,389 Posts
You're right, any breed can fight. I've seen some pretty scruffy mutts go at it. But, I have to say I've never witnessed anything like pits out of any other breed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts