Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
And not just any Great Dane, this was literally the biggest dog I've ever seen in my life.

Was out on me and Lola's evening walk, when this Great Dane comes at us out of a neighbors yard. It's already dark here so I didn't see him till he came up on us. My first thoughts were holy poop but remain calm, don't panic. This dog wanted to play, very badly, but my pit was scared out her mind, never encountered something so monsterous, and we spent a good 10 mins circling back and forth trying to get away from this giant thing out in the street. I watched 8 cars pass us, I look them all down showing I desperately needed some kind of help but of coarse no one even slows down.

So its about to get serious, my dog is really not liking this, things have almost gone bad a few times now, and im getting pretty worried. I always carry a knife on me, and I actually have it out, blades closed but its in my hand. I would never ever ever want to stab an animal but I had no idea what this dog was going to do and I would not hesitate to protect myself or my dog if it came down to something very serious.

Finally I go to a random house and ring the doorbell. A guy comes out, about my age, mid 20s, I ask him about the dog if he knows whos it is and what not. He sees I am not going to be able to just walk away so he invites me in while he holds this huge dog, almost getting bitten actually. We call the police and they arrive within minutes actually and get a dog person out to pick up this dog. Thank god.

Things got pretty intense a few times, it was a pretty crazy situation. Just needed to tell the story, my hearts still kinda beating fast.

·
hrmph
5,349 Posts
holy moly!!! that is scary! i wouldn't want to stab a dog either, but i would if i had to protect my dogs. i know a couple of people in my town that let their danes run loose, and my dogs are especially not good with dogs larger than them... i don't go anywhere near those houses.

so scary, im glad both of you are okay!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I recently had a run in with a basset hound...lol. I know funny right! But I was scared that my dogs would hurt the fellow. He just came running up to me and wouldnt back off. Here comes a lady a good distance away with the leash hanging around her neck. I gave her a peice of my mind. The leash law is there for a reason!!! Makes me so mad!!!! She just thought the park was her dogs personal playground...ughhhhhhh

BTW my danes name is Lola!!!

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So am I, and I gotta tell ya, I got pretty nervous a few times during the little engagement that seemed to never end.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i've had a few of those encounters before too.! thats why i only take gEmma to places that i know there is almost never anyone or dogs.. gemma is pretty good with people but im not going to take a chance. i can control her with people, but other dog is another story.!

i can never control gemma with other dogs, ever since i've gotten her..i've owned her when she was only eight month old, three months now.

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I'm not gonna let something like this stop me from walking my dog daily but I'm wondering if there is something maybe like mace I could carry on me to deter a dog if it ever became aggressive around mine. My girl is pretty small and against larger dog breeds if anything were to ever happen I would want a chance to be able to help protect her in a non violent way.

·
hrmph
5,349 Posts
ive looked up pepper spray and whatnot, if anything i was told to get bear mace because it shoots super far like 15 feet or something like that. I was also told to just get a stun gun because sometimes the spray will not stop the attacker (dog, or human). whatever makes you feel safe, though. they do have pocket sized pepper sprays, that fit nicely into your pocket to carry around easily while walking.

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea I thought about bear mace, I've carried it before, lived in Ak for 4 years so yea, I'm very familiar with that :D

A stun gun might be a better idea though, i dunno.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts