Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I know I should be used to this by now after 10 years in the biz, but I just found out one of my little motor vehicle accident head injury patients died. I am so shocked. She was following commands progressing on her ventilator weaning... heart was stable...I mean she was an 18 year old senior in high school varsity cheerleader... she was making such progress. I don't know all the details, I have been off but I will go to her visitation today. Our unit wasn't that big 6 beds tops but even if I had another set of patients, I'd still go in and check on her.....talk with her family who was there 24 hours a day...so that makes 3 teens that we have lost, one was a personal trainer and the other was a football player and track star. Those two are vegetables at best but we had such hope for the girl we just lost....I know that is part of the business I am in but sometimes you just fall in love with the patients anyway.....:( RIP Kelsey

Reactions: buzhunter

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
You can get used to the life process and dealing with death, however it's always hard when it first hits you. That is just human nature to feel something for the ones who have gone to the other side and to feel for their loved ones. RIP Kelsey

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
im so sorry. Those poor teens. They were still babies. I cant imagine how there folks must feel. :( :(

·
Courage
3,052 Posts
Good to know there are still people like you. Too many just show up to get paid. Sorry to hear about your friend.

Reactions: StaffyDaddy

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Good to know there are still people like you. Too many just show up to get paid. Sorry to hear about your friend.
That's true! But a lot of us owners of this breed are like our dogs! Gotta have heart!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks so much y'all, I know i did my best and treated her like she was my child too. Even though this is a tough one, I still love my job and wouldn't change it.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Im curious okay so I love dr. shows and 911 shows and stuff where they patch up the people what happens if there a vege? Your job is so interesting I know there are hard times but alot can be rewarding.. :)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
:( i worked nursing home and acute long term hospital. cna for almost 7 years and have held way too many as they cross over and as hard as it is every time i know part of my job is to help them to pass peacefully and do my best to make them feel safe and comfortable. like they were my friend, parent, grandparent. i rarely pray for myself but when a sweet old lady asks me to say a prayer over her you better believe thats what imma do. it is amazing to see others in the field tho that value thier patients as real people and care for them with the highest hopes. i can tell you now- with mike in the hospital for the better part of a month, almost a week on the vent and all that, i saw too many nurses that didn't know what they were doing and others that their heads and hearts were clearly in a different universe. the ones that made impacts on me and his family and made us feel safe with him in their hands were the ones that daily gave us hope and kept us positive. thank you for your service ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts