Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 month old ABDA registered pitbull terrier. After doing some research I started to question the truth that the breeder told me. My pedigree analysis says that Bentley, my pit, includes Gray line based on Juan gotty, Denton, Turpin, Humes and Sasselli Grapevine. Something about chain Gang's Barney and his dam Tony's showtime. and on the dam side, razors edge, sierra, and empire. and then the grand sire is from j crenshaw's line and halls. bobby hall from texas.

there are so many i can't make sense of it... what importance is all this... i guess what i'm asking is, are these well known?

·
15 wins 3 losses
461 Posts
I am far from an expert, but what I have learned on these boards is that those are american bully lines, not american pit bull terrier.

I am sure that someone with a lot more knowledge can give you info and try the search function. I have read about a few of those names rather recently too.

Hope you find the info you are looking for and welcome to the site! :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
I generally say its realy only in the first four gens that are worth reading for the future. Crenshaw and Hall were old dogmen who were into the matching of dogs back in the day. All of the line names you mentioned first up would obviously be the first few and they are all American Bully lines. Alot of the bullys when started were all ADBA regd as they all descended from ADBA APBT , these days the real Bully fanciers [the ones that care] do not reg their dogs with the ADBA, , the bully is now its own breed and should respectfully be treated that way, we dont have bullys in my country so i cant realy help you much about the bullys you have but i am sure there are lots of members here who can tell you everything you need to know. The smart thing to do would be to check out the Bully 101 section and i think there may even be a threrad on gotti and a razors edge thread aswell. They will also say that you should maybee consider changing the registration of your dog over to the American Bully registration as that is what will also help the breed stand up on its own four legs, andif you decided to show ect will help you get points under that name.

To make it easy you have an AMerican Bully and not an American Pit Bull Terrier.
There are tons of people here that would love to help you enjoy the site.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking that I more than likely had an American bully, but he just doesn't look as "stocky" as they do and his head doesn't seem as large.. but everything that i read about his pedigree says otherwise... thanks for the insight though!

I also read posts on here so much that i figured i should join and ask questions of my own :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah here's on of the most recent and i posted some in the album section under Mangrum's Bentley

if i should post a closer one i can do that. thanks so much for the help

·
15 wins 3 losses
461 Posts
Well from what I have learned is that there are different classes of bullies with different looks. I'm sure bully owners on this site or members who know more can give info on the classes and differences. I know of the classic bully class where they have a more athletic type build. At 5 months, he might still be a bit too young to tell how he will turn out as he grows. Did you meet his parents?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i was given pictures of his parents but i met his brother from a different litter. who at the time i believe was 7 months.

·
15 wins 3 losses
461 Posts
Oh ok, I just ask because maybe they could have given you an idea of how he will turn out.

He is a very handsome boy regardless! :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hes a real looker! At that age he has alot of filliing out to do i would say but he may not, there are plenty of bully owners here who have fit athletic bullies.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you very much I am proud of him regardless if i was given wrong information about him from his breeder or not

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you so much for the replies. i would have never questioned him until i took him to the vet and they looked at me funny when i said he was an APBT. If i do find out he is american bully i definitely will look into registering him under that.

·
Registered
546 Posts
He seems to have the original bully appearance vs. the contemporary overly bulky bully image. He is a very handsome pup! I personal prefer bullies with longer legs and a leaner look vs. The short and chunked out ones. Definitely keep posting pics as he progresses into adulthood it will be neat to see how he fills out.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I think you will learn that the biggest part of the transition is happening right now and if you ask me its great. I honestly was never a fan of bullys simply because i hated those bully people calling or passing them off as a dog they are not. American Show ring terrier would suit more. I think you are def in the right place the bully owners here have completely swung my point of veiw around about them and its great to see them realy trying to develop their own strain and the way the shows and marketing [for the right reasons] is going they will only succeed.
Hang around it wont be long till one of them hooks you up.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Tony Moore, founder of the Greyline who owned Raider II and Showtime, bred bigger pit bulls with drive. Greyline has always been known for their working dog abilities and drive. Notorious Juan Gotti is nothing more than 100% Greyline dog and was produced by Tony Moore. Something questionable about Greyline is if Raider II was off of Chain Gang Barney. It has been stated that they hung papers because they did not have paperwork on Camacho at the time and Raider II is rumored to actually be off Camacho, not Chain Gang Barney.

As for RE it would really depend on what RE dogs were used because not all RE blood is truly American Bully being that some were based on ADBA dogs, some AKC dogs, and some UKC show dogs.

Grapevine Kennels stock stems from Watchdog blood and they are taller than the bully dogs you see today.

OK going by what you said I found this ped for Grey Line's Raider II, whose sire was Chaingang Barney (supposedly) and the dam was Tony's Showtime.

Basically what I gather from what you have given is that your dog's history says American Bully; however, you are going to have a bigger (taller) dog than most of the bullies that are being bred today and your dog will have a lot of drive compared to the average American Bully.

From the picture you posted your boy is more classic looking and very nice. Do you have a better front/side shot of him? I'd love to see.

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Tony Moore, founder of the Greyline who owned Raider II and Showtime, bred bigger pit bulls with drive. Greyline has always been known for their working dog abilities and drive. Notorious Juan Gotti is nothing more than 100% Greyline dog and was produced by Tony Moore. Something questionable about Greyline is if Raider II was off of Chain Gang Barney. It has been stated that they hung papers because they did not have paperwork on Camacho at the time and Raider II is rumored to actually be off Camacho, not Chain Gang Barney.

As for RE it would really depend on what RE dogs were used because not all RE blood is truly American Bully being that some were based on ADBA dogs, some AKC dogs, and some UKC show dogs.

Grapevine Kennels stock stems from Watchdog blood and they are taller than the bully dogs you see today.

OK going by what you said I found this ped for Grey Line's Raider II, whose sire was Chaingang Barney (supposedly) and the dam was Tony's Showtime.

Basically what I gather from what you have given is that your dog's history says American Bully; however, you are going to have a bigger (taller) dog than most of the bullies that are being bred today and your dog will have a lot of drive compared to the average American Bully.

From the picture you posted your boy is more classic looking and very nice. Do you have a better front/side shot of him? I'd love to see.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
here is a front/ side... my angle makes him look a little short but he's probably about 2 or 3 inches taller than perceived

and here is a side...

and his face... his snout has elongated slightly so not as flat anymore...

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
nice squisshy face for sure...give him lots of kisses for us!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
nice squisshy face for sure...give him lots of kisses for us!
do these dogs not give the best kisses? haha

I just wanted to thank everyone for helping me and it seems as if everyone actually WANTS to help. i know veterans of this site probably have to repeat themselves a lot so thank you...

I bought this puppy without knowing everything someone should know before they buy a new dog... with that said Bentley is the smartest pup i have EVER seen... ( which i'm comparing him to a basset hound my other dog lol ) I really have learned to absolutely love this breed ( be it either APBT or Bully ) My best friend had a APBT that would wipe his feet every time before he came inside... ( may he RIP he was stolen as what we suspect a bait dog )

Also, I am going to look into registering him under American Bully.... which has two benefits, 1. He will be under the correct breed, which as someone said, needs to happen for American Bully to really stand on its own "4" feet. 2. I think my town is fixing to outlaw APBT, and i don't think American Bully would be outlawed with that. i'll have to do more research... I'll burn his papers before i let someone tell me i have to get rid of him.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Beautiful pup you have.Pitbullmama nailed it for you.He will fill out nicely cant wait too see more.If you plan on showing ect. id dual register him with the abkc.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts