Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This puppy just showed up under our car port one cold, rainy day two months ago and wouldn't leave. He was skinny, thirsty and shivering. His nose was scruffed up and he was a bit lethargic for a puppy. My kids and wife loved him immediately and wanted to keep him. We fed him and gave him water and a blanket to sleep on. We checked on him frequently and he was always there. We have no fence to keep him in. We searched for owners to no avail. Finally, about two weeks later and a lot of over feeding we took him to a vet for a microchip scan and to evaluate his health. The vet estimated he was 4-5 months old, just over 30 pounds and was a pitbull mix.

We bought a 10x10 kennel a whole lot of other stuff and named him Max.

Here he is on the day we took him to the vet at 4-5 months and 30 lbs.

And here is Max at 6 months 41lbs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more pic at 6mos 41lbs.

I left out that the vet found no microchip, deemed him healthy and started his rounds of puppy shots. Although, the vet called him a pit bull mix, the older he gets the more he looks like full blood APBT to me. He appears to meet the conformation standard for the breed in every respect, but I'm no expert. Also, I know that without verifiable papers from his breeders we'll never exactly what he is, but we're just curious if anyone has any ideas about his possible bloodlines from his appearance or if I'm completely wrong about his possibly being full pit. He is very even tempered and quick to train. We've spent a lot of time socializing him. Thus far he's good with other dogs, children and people.

He's teething, so the only real downside is that unsupervised he'll chew everything in sight. He needs a lot of walking, dog park runs, and time with the flirt poles and spring poles I made, but once we get the workout in he's chilled for the rest of the day. Regardless of what he is, we love him to death.

·
Registered
14 Posts
One more pic at 6mos 41lbs.

I left out that the vet found no microchip, deemed him healthy and started his rounds of puppy shots. Although, the vet called him a pit bull mix, the older he gets the more he looks like full blood APBT to me. He appears to meet the conformation standard for the breed in every respect, but I'm no expert. Also, I know that without verifiable papers from his breeders we'll never exactly what he is, but we're just curious if anyone has any ideas about his possible bloodlines from his appearance or if I'm completely wrong about his possibly being full pit. He is very even tempered and quick to train. We've spent a lot of time socializing him. Thus far he's good with other dogs, children and people.

He's teething, so the only real downside is that unsupervised he'll chew everything in sight. He needs a lot of walking, dog park runs, and time with the flirt poles and spring poles I made, but once we get the workout in he's chilled for the rest of the day. Regardless of what he is, we love him to death.
He's soo handsome!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Missemily_grace and Borre97 thanks for responding and Max thanks you for the compliments.

Here's one more pic of him from the rear so you can see his hind quarters and tail set.

I think we're going to eliminate his grain puppy chow kibble and introduce him to a raw diet with supplements and then increase his exercise when the weather breaks in a few months. I'll post new pics as he progresses.

Max is my first experience with a Pit and he's forced me to do a lot of reading because of my kids and neighborhood full of children, and elderly Shih Tzu owners. Thankfully there are no BSL's in my county, so that's not an issue, but the bad rap still hangs in the air. The good thing is that most dog owners I've met at the dog park had good things to say about pits.

I've owned several other dogs before - one full bred Samoyed and the rest various mixed breeds from a cockapoo to a shepherd-Rottweiler to one damn good alpha female Caribbean "pot-licker," which is what they call all stray dogs wandering around the islands. Well, if Max is any indication of what pits are like, full or mixed, I am hooked on Pit Bulls for life.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Handsome dog, he was lucky to he found. Hopefully no one was looking for him. Sad to think he was dumped. But he looks happy healthy, growing fast. The raw diet should be great for him with bully breeds, especially ones with unknown liniege , good diet is safe bet keep from the fast growing. Keeps joints healthy.
Best luck with him he is good looking dog.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts