Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys after doing much research about raw dieting vs kibble I decided to make the change. I went to the commissary and bout 2 young chickens. I gave them the legs and thighs just the meat no bones for right now. I know how cruical the bones are and they will get it just didn't have a meat tenderizer getting one now though. Also heard that you should slowlybring them into it but I've also heard that for the first time they are gonna have diahrea Si instead of prolonging the messy poop might as well as get it over with. So I gave them the meat first and man did they clean bowls tails a wagging away. After they were done I gave them pureed plums and peaches with some food processed carrots. Both very happy pups. Glad I made the switch and have one question I do know about fish oil pills for their coat but does anyone know a food or fruit that helps their coat as well thanks guys and gals.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Bones are good for them to chew on. It helps clean their teeth, although you want to avoid neck and rib bones, IIRC.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Id do some reading about raw feeding before you start to feed. You want to start with chicken but stuff like chicken backs { bones are ok they need the bones , as long as chicken bones arent cooked they are ok} but legs are something you do not want to start with, no weight bearing bones. heres a great link and it takes you through step by step week by week on what to add and when. you want to give them time to adjust to the new item before adding more.
How to Get Started | Prey Model Raw
as far as adding pills , we add fish oil pills 1-2 pills a day is all we do , some just get the bulk oil and use a pump and squirt it on there food , whatever way you want to go on that both methods are fine. Some ad glucosamine for joint issues , you can add dried clean eggshells on there food for added calcium { just crush them to powder form is what we do , usually use the food processor but could just mash in a bag } its much better then giving them an egg the eggs themselves arent really that great for them. We add garlic and yeast pills to my dogs food but that isnt for health or anything its for flea preventative. if fed properly and they are getting a good variety of meats and organs they wont need much more.
Im one of those who dont believe they need vegis and fruit they are carnivores and eat meat , however I have a couple who love apple and banana so we offer those as treats , healthier then the dog treats in the stores usually.

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
Bones are good for them to chew on. It helps clean their teeth, although you want to avoid neck and rib bones, IIRC.
why not the neck and rib bones??:)

·
Registered
798 Posts
The neck is great treat! Turkey neck are great for dogs. There is a large debate that we try to all respect others views.
My dogs(there is a different way and math problem for puppies) but my dogs get for every 50 pounds of dog, a pound of meat. I also don't like vitumin pills because one day it will blow their kidneys. Others use liquid pills. Though I like them to have it through veggies. Most of their vitamins come from pureed carrots. All vegetables have to be pureed. They digest and get it more out of it

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
my boy likes turkey necks as well , not sure why you wouldnt be able to feed necks? and rib bones they get those when we feed chicken backs and such...

·
NO TROLL PASSIN
3,801 Posts
Garlic is not just a flea preventative ....
Theres nothing wrong with a whole egg once in a while.
Neck bones are fine.
When introducing bones of any sort to puppies you need to teach them how to crush the bones so they DO NOT swallow them whole, this is where people mess up and puppies choke. I would hold one end and allow them to chew on the other when you see them trying to scarf it down stop them create a command for slow down.
I tell my boy to chew when he starts to get over excited about what he is eating.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
just to clarify I never said garlic was just for fleas , but stated that is why I add them to my dogs food, and didnt say eggs can never be given just stated a better option is using eggshells... Incase my post was read wrong , thnks :)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
:) lol no problem wasnt sure if it was read in my post wrong or not, Can you share the other values of garlic though? would be interested to know them , and is it the same if im adding the garlic pills vs the raw garlic?

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
:) lol no problem wasnt sure if it was read in my post wrong or not, Can you share the other values of garlic though? would be interested to know them , and is it the same if im adding the garlic pills vs the raw garlic?
i saw an answer for this some where so i went on a hunt to find it

Garlic for Dogs - Health Benefits

Garlic has been used for thousands of years in Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine. It contains at least 30 compounds that have been found to be useful for a variety of conditions from skin disorders to cancer. In fact, holistic veterinarians have been recommending garlic for many years for its multiple health benefits.
Below are the main health benefits of garlic for dogs:
Boosting the Immune System
Garlic stimulates immune functions in the bloodstream by increasing the activities of killer cells (cells that seek out and destroy invading microbes and cancer cells). It is therefore beneficial for dogs with suppressed immune systems and dogs fighting cancer. Moderate garlic supplementation in the diets of even healthy dogs can boost their immunity and prevent cancer.
Fighting Bacterial/Viral/Fungal Infections
Garlic is a powerful antimicrobial and antibiotic and is effective in fighting various forms of internal or external bacterial, viral, or fungal infection, including parasites (e.g. tapeworms) and protozoan organisms (e.g. giardia).
Fresh garlic fed as part of a dog's diet can fight infections of the mouth, throat, respiratory tract, stomach, or intestines. Crushed garlic diluted in olive oil can be used as a topical antiseptic for minor injuries, ear infections, or ear mites.
Enhancing Liver Function
Garlic has detoxifying effects. At least six compounds contained in garlic can enhance liver function by helping the liver to eliminate toxins from the body, thereby preventing toxic accumulation that may lead to cancerous growths.
Lowering Blood Cholesterol and Triglyceride Levels
Uncooked garlic mixed in with food helps to lower blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels in dogs, making it useful for certain breeds (e.g. miniature schnauzers, beagles) that are predisposed to hyperlipidemia, a condition in which the amount of fats (lipids) in the blood are elevated.
Cardiovascular Tonic
A compound in garlic is effective at preventing blood clot formation in the vascular system. It can also reduce cholesterol levels and fat buildup in the arteries (atheorsclerosis). Therefore, it is an excellent cardiovascular tonic for older dogs.
Tick/Flea Repellent
The exact reason and extent of garlic's effect on tick and flea prevention is not clear. It may be due to the odor released through the dog's skin as the compounds in garlic are metabolized. Whatever the reason, there are a lot of anecdotal reports on the effectiveness of garlic (especially in combination with brewer's yeast) as a tick/flea repellent.

GARLIC IN LOW DOSES IS GOOD FOR ADULT DOGS AND ITS CHEAP!
and also the feeding guide lines on garlic

Garlic for Dogs - How Much and How Often?

According to Gregory Tilford, (author of All You Ever Wanted to Know About Herbs for Pets), dogs can quite safely consume 1/8 teaspoon of garlic powder per pound of food 3 to 4 times a week.
Dr. Martin Goldstein (author of The Nature of Animal Healing) recommends adding garlic to home-made pet food and he himself feeds garlic to his own cats and dogs on a regular basis.
Dr. Pitcairn (author of The Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats) recommends the following amount of fresh garlic for dogs, according to their size:
10 to 15 pounds - half a clove
20 to 40 pounds - 1 clove
45 to 70 pounds - 2 cloves
75 to 90 pounds - 2 and a half cloves
100 pounds and over - 3 cloves
Dr. Messonnier (author of The Natural Vet's Guide to Preventing and Treating Cancer in Dogs) recommends one clove of fresh garlic per 10 to 30 pounds of weight a day to boost the immune system and cancer prevention.
As with most herbs, at least one to two days off per week or a periodic week off from garlic is a good idea.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
thanks for the link and the post I hadnt read that one before I dont think { so many articles its possible and just forgot} But will the pill form offer any of those benefits do you know or is raw the only way to get that ....?
Stoner there is someone who just posted about ear mites they may find this useful as well , I didnt know the garlic could help that as well, good post .

·
NO TROLL PASSIN
3,801 Posts
Angel I covered that in that post: You should use raw, if your feeding raw why not use raw garlic ....

Tablets, powders,capsules, extracts may not have the same potency once they
go thru the production process and leave the manufactures to sit on store shelves.
Allicin is a major biologically active component of garlic. It is an unstable compound that dissipates when exposed to heat, moisture or air.
Though measures are taken to add more allicin into these products to try to stabalize the values of these garlic supplements its not guaranteed that all the qualities of garlic are in these items ... So if using garlic supplements it should at least contain 180mgs of allicin powder

I would think you wouldn't get as much value from the pills as you would raw...

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
raw is cheap enough as it is why go out and buy expensive pills?

yah i saw it and posted an opinion in it

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
LOL I dunno just seen all the things said about garlic being toxic and was always so worried bout overdosing them figured the pills are way easier lol 1 pill for every10lbs of weight lol , maybe ill try raw i dunno lol.

·
NO TROLL PASSIN
3,801 Posts
Are you even reading?
Hienz-body anemia
Garlic is toxic if your giving to much, or given to anemic dogs. Also not to be given to puppies under weeks cause they have no produced new red blood cells til after that age.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
duece said she always feeds it and i dont think she's had a problem if she did she woulda said something, i tried a couple times but they ussually just turn their nose up at it. any tips on how to sneak it in with out forcing it down their throat?

my bad duece

·
NO TROLL PASSIN
3,801 Posts
I'm a she ( looks down ) yea I'm still a she ...... lol

I've used garlic for 16 yrs, alternative medicine for 16 yrs, raw for 7 going on 8 I believe.
If I can stay away from regular meds I do, anything I can heal naturally I will do.
On cats and dogs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts