Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would love to be able to keep the peace between my new neighbor and myself... they don't want to ever see my dogs because they hate Pit Bull type dogs... (not sure why they bought the home next to a kennel with five of them when they hate them so much). While I do have a four foot chainlink fence around my property, two 10 x 10 x 6 kennels and hand walk my dogs to ensure there are never any escapes, the neighbor is still not satisfied and has started to make verbal threats to cause physical harm to both my dogs and myself after I asked innocently why they continuously cause property damage to the front of my lawn close to the road by burning out in the grass and the dirt street. I think the next best thing is to install a privacy fence around the rear portion of my large yard (more than an acre) to try to appease her and her family... I don't know of anything else I can do to try to help this situation.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Verbal threats? Can you contact the police and file a report? That is not right of them to be acting out on you and your dogs for no reason. What a shame those people are so ignorant and then they want to do harm to them! I would be flaming mad and want to take some kind of legal action. I am a peace keeper myself and steer clear of trouble or starting it. However, if someone starts with me I will finish it like an APBT in a [ ] ;)

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Oh heck Shana really?? Ppl now a days, makes me sad that ppl can be so cruel and hateful. And I'm kinda with Angel on getting the threats on video or record them and go to the police, but that could backfire but still a privacy fence around a whole acre of yard is ridiculous just to appease the neighbors. Hugs

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
I agree with Bella contact the authorities. Maybe install surveillance cameras on your property?
You should not have to do anything you don;t want to do,it is your property and your dogs are properly contained.
they aren't hurting anything.

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Yeah. I know you want to keep the peace & don't want to make things any worse. But verbal threats, vandalizing your yard? That's pretty darn bad & should they try something worse (Lord forbid) at least you filed a report so the police really can step in. You really do need to call the cops at this point.

Cover Your Bum-Bum! :hug:

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My big hang up on this situation is that these people paid cash for their place so I have a couple of options here, be just as childish as they are and retaliate and face the consequences for the rest of my life because we're stuck with them OR try to accomodate the situation while installing survelience in a just in case scenario. I'd rather attempt to do everything to improve the situation before I have to get any sort of authorities involved. It is a pretty crazy situation... I have never had something so wild happen before in my life like this woman screaming at me when I asked her if there was anything that I could do to be a better neighbor. These people had three dogs when they moved in and couldn't contain them for crud. They finally placed their great dane on a tie out on a choke chain in that the tie out ran between a section of the yard they attempted to put up a fence and just left the posts in the yard... needless to say the dane choked himself to death. I've seen these fools barbecueing in their front yard out of a freaking washing machine.

I placed an add on craigslist asking for any and all privacy fence panels and posts that are in pretty good condition to get us by until I can afford to do it right with new stuff.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Well that sounds like a plan SHana, I hope it all works out for you and you can send Cree to me :p

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thats horrible about their great dane. I know you don't want to but these sound like the kind of people who may do something to your dogs. You may want to get the police involved just so there is paperwork of past problems if something that serious ever does come up.

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
I love my wireless cameras, They were abot 50.00 each. motion detection and infared. The first day I had em I caught the neighbor lady kickin my fence at bob.I emailed the vid to her husband and she stopped doing it. I can monitor gates and fenceline off my pc. Its amazing

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've got 2 thoughts, first the old saw ' good fences make good neighbors'. You won't have to look at her sorry self either.

I agree w/ those who suggest you file a police report. I someone is nuts enough to vandalize your property, you should take action. In your case, I'd also ask the police to pay a polite call to your neighbor and explain why they should not threaten you or vandalize your property, tell the police you're upset and afraid, they should do it for you. . Unless your neighbors are trash, that should be a wake up call.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love my wireless cameras, They were abot 50.00 each. motion detection and infared. The first day I had em I caught the neighbor lady kickin my fence at bob.I emailed the vid to her husband and she stopped doing it. I can monitor gates and fenceline off my pc. Its amazing
Dave do you have a link to these cameras? I know you can monitor it, but how long does it record for ad how far of a spread does each camera view get? I will be able to peice it together over a couple of weeks pay to have survelience the entire property.

I've got 2 thoughts, first the old saw ' good fences make good neighbors'. You won't have to look at her sorry self either.

I agree w/ those who suggest you file a police report. I someone is nuts enough to vandalize your property, you should take action. In your case, I'd also ask the police to pay a polite call to your neighbor and explain why they should not threaten you or vandalize your property, tell the police you're upset and afraid, they should do it for you. . Unless your neighbors are trash, that should be a wake up call.
Man, these neighbors are trash of the worst degree. I won't hesitate to go to the police with hard evidence like video footage, but I cannot afford to call the police out to issue a "warning" to them and it just pee's them off more yanno?

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
That is great I would love a link on where to get them. What do you have them hooked up a DVR?

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
I agree with Bella contact the authorities. Maybe install surveillance cameras on your property?
Listen, first DO CONTACT THE AUTHORITIES. Just call them and tell them what is going on. They don't have to come out and the neighbors dont have to know BUT you are establishing a history, creating a record that is DOCUMENTED. When you call and file a complaint they document it. This way if something happens in the future and it comes down to your word vs their word the police have a history on the neighbors and will be more apt to see it your way.

Second, get cameras and POINT THEM DIRECTLY at the neighbors. Video evidence is hard to refute!!! Just having the cameras my tone them down.

You were there first, you dont have to change a thing. I know you dont want a war but some people are just jerks and you cant deal with nicely.

PLEASE do contact the authorities if they have made threats against you or your dogs. DO IT EVERYTIME!!!! Trust me, the cops will get tired of them and do something, you can not just threaten people, you just can't.

Good luck, and I hate you are having to deal with this. I had to deal with neighbors for a short instance when I first moved out here. I had a dog in heat and out here in the country no one keeps their dogs on a leash. When I asked the neighbors to keep their dogs on their property for the next 2.5 weeks the told me NO, their dogs were free dogs. I said ok, but I will not have your dogs breeding my dogs, I wont allow it. They asked me what I meant and I said figure it out, the law is on my side on this one........needless to say the dogs got put up. After 2.5 weeks I went over and thanked them and now we are on good terms.

Reactions: Xiahko

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
I agree, you should call and get familiar with them authorities, a lot of them do care, and will listen and maybe offer their own advice. Keep the channels open.

I use iCam to view cameras in my house. Its on the iphone and I can view up to 4 cameras a a time, I spy on Mel and see what he is doing, and also have it save motion detection movements in case anyone breaks in. Sucks to have to worry she may try to toss stuff over the fence to hurt your dogs. Sorry your in the situation at all, but why is it your problem? Why do you have to be the one to buy the fence, privacy etc if she is the one having issues with your dogs?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I know you said you don't want to involve the authorities, but I agree with everyone else that has advised it. It's not like something is going to happen to them right away but it gets the behavior on record just in case there's a problem in the future. In my opinion it also sets a tone. I know you are worried about setting the wrong tone - but you've tried to ask them nicely in a way that a reasonable person such as yourself would have responded positively. That they did not respond positively is an indication that they are not reasonable and are not going to turn over a new leaf spontaneously.

Sometimes people need to be shown that they're not intimidating you and that you will react to their provocations in ways in which they don't want. You've tried nice, now try serious. And the camera idea is awesome if you can make it work. Point one right across the fence at their house. Hold their gaze a little longer than necessary when you make eye contact across the fence. Don't speak and don't smile. Just look at them good and hard before going back to going about your business.

They're trying to "test their limits" as new butthead neighbors. Show them that they've reached it.

All just my humble opinion of course, but I've been blessed with a lifelong natural born talent for shutting down nonsense. I can't sing and I can't dance worth a lick but I work with what I was given. LOL

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I would install cameras and put up the privacy fence a bit at a time. Like its your idea anyway, not something you're rushing to get done because of them. The fools are probably mad because you still have your dogs safe and sound while theirs are dying and getting lost.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
+1 for involving the cops. At the end of the day that's what we pay them for and they can't help if they don't know. You never know, they (the neighbour) might one day decide to fabricate a story about you and go to the police. In that kind of situation it would help to have something on record.

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
Shana, Even Fist Alert, the smoke detector company has some decent ones for about 200.00. my neighbor has them to watch his boats at night. wireless except you still need to power them with an outlet. comes with a dvr and 2 cameras and sd card that will take motion detected pics or vid at every movement. I think they record sound too. holds up to 5 cameras and they are 30 to 50 each if you need extras. this will fill a 2 gig card in about 5 days depending on the way you set it up.I went to bass pro shops and set myself up with wireless and wired outdoor stuff with infra red to 100 feet. 60 degrees of view I think. all thru my desktop and under 500.00. the more research you do, the better you can match up to your needs and do it affordably

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I reckon I'm gonna call the non emergency number this afternoon to see what I can do about filing a report on these people. Thank you guys for taking this as seriously as I am. You guys are right about doing the fence a little at a time and not all at once. It will kill us both financially and physically in this florida heat to do it all at once! Thank you for the pointer on where to go look into the cameras Dave. I started doing a little research yesterday when you told me about it and by Monday I WILL be a "know it all" on these surveillance camera set ups. I do enjoy hand walking the dogs and so do they, but it is a pain in the butt having it be mandatory to hand walk six of them (Mabel doesn't move very fast so she's not leashed) twice a day... and it's not fair to them not to be able to get out and stretch and run and play. Like I said before... the whole purpose of me moving to the country was so I could have room for my dogs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.