Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get y'all's opinions on this. I live down in the south, in the sticks, and tucked away from everything. Along with that comes a lot of hobbies that city folk can't necessary do or really want to. I am a avid hunter (mainly deer) and enjoy it very much. This is where my question comes into play. I have seen two sides of this and don't know what to think of it. Obviously I have my own opinion but would like to gather more from y'all before stating mine. With hunters down here it is perfectly legal to run dogs certain times on the year. Now I have seen dogs that were bought for the soul purpose of hunting and nothing more than that; they get fed dirt cheap food like ol' roy, stay penned up, and half the time have a slight case of HA but they are some of the best out there because it's all they know. Then there are people who not only run dogs as a sport but they are their pets when out of season. I'm not talking indoor pets but they get fed good, have nice runs, get mental and physical stimulation everyday,ect.

What are you thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
IM kinda confused onthe question. My aunt and uncle have for years been breeding and showing a few different breeds that they also use for hunting , and do very well with it. She has a massive kennel and sells all over the world mostly to others looking to show or use for hunting. { people that say they cant do both crack me up cause iv watched there dogs do both since I was very young , she has titles on all her breeding stock and uncle gets them during hunting season to help him out} although not Pit bulls I dont see it mattering here. She has alot of dogs so having them all inside isnt very logical. She does have favourites who live inside and the seniors get to come in , the rest have indoor outdoor kennels , heated inside. They all eat good quality food and get tons of 1 on 1 attention every day and training.
Idont care for those who leave them out all the time and feed garbage food , I think you get what you invest , diet wise, time wise, housing wise. You have dogs showing HA like you said do you blame them? Alot of hunters up here have there "pick" dogs and breed from those dogs to produce the next generations. If someone isnt caring enough about what they even feed or how they care for there dogs, do you think they would have put much thought into picking that dog in the 1st place? would they have paid the price for a good hunting dog? probably not and so in return isnt going to have a great yard on his hands. We have aot of friends up north by our farm who do have packs of dogs they take out hunting and are used for hearding and working ont he farms and have never once seen a HA dog ,if that were something on our farm it would have been shot.
You dont have to have your dogs inside , but the quality of time spent with them , quality of food ,and quality of living quarters will play a role int he quality of work you get from them IMO. Most happy dogs want nothing more then to please there owners.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with your statement, for sure. That has been my point all along to the hunters around here. I run closely with a old hunter down here we cal Curly (like from the 3 stooges) his dogs are treated amazing, live in awesome kennel runs in a pull barn, and get daily attention. He also spends top dollar for his stock.

I have,though, seen dogs that were used solely for hunting,treated like ****. That get the job done and done well. That was I guess where my question stemmed off.

I,personally could never own a dog that I couldn't properly provide for.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I wonder in those cases though how many quality years those hunters get from there dogs, health wise , performance wise ect. I would think the life span would be shorter? not getting the quality of care , even mental health on those dogs.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
I work my hounds all year around, catch, PP and Patrol work.. Constantly training every day, cold, dry, hot, wet..Improving mentally and physically.. A dog bred down with the purpose of performing, function and instilled perfection.. Keeping these type of animals as pets is generally much different than keeping a house pet in terms of how they react.. Varies breed to breed, dog to dog.. Some have an empty blank emotional stare while others don't mind just being loved at all.. Firm believe in a purpose to for fill the k9's original intent in life.. To be one with the handler and to do what they were designed to do.

I love and treat my animals as good as really any "fur mommy" out there in terms of unconditional love, great feed, lots of attention.. However the mindset is not that of a pet mentality.. No work = fixation on destruction. Theres a line that will vary depending on breed and individual dog, you work, you rest, you have time off to enjoy being a pet.

Focus too much on either, you risk losing the fire, cur out, burn out, physical or mentality shift/break down.. Its a game and its an art. I don't split 50-50 all the time but i know they couldn't be happier.

Hunters that have hounds locked up, only out in the field are focusing in on that one aspect.. Most have a disconnection and have one thing on mind.. By doing so there is nothing them hounds want to do more than please the person who feeds them.. Do what they are told.. Its their one chance at stardom each time out and better get it right or suffer the latter.. I also know some who don't really have them as pets but treat them fair and thats that.. Generally, work no rest, the turn around is high.. They'll shoot them, let them loose, shelter or turn them over as house pets.. Either way, right or wrong they have them for one reason... Do as told not as do.

I don't agree with it, as stated but i have my animals more for just work. Depending on age if a hound of mine goes cold, rehome and move on.. Older dog will retire and in my mind earned the rest of their lives sleeping on the bed, being happy ole bulldogs till the end with me by their side.. Go cold at age 3? Just move it along. Great pets are great pets.. Need more than just.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts