Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PLEASE KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR DOG DURING THE SUMMER.

Learn the signs of heat stroke! Know your dog and the limits they may or may not set for themselves. It could save your dog's life.

Please. I almost lost my best friend today at the too-young age of 18 months. If I hadn't taken Kane in, he would have died. And it would have been my fault for not telling him no. The phrase "go until you drop" has new meaning for me, as it's obvious he will do that--anything to be able to play fetch.

I thought one more throw couldn't hurt. I thought that he was all right when I picked up the chuck-it and he went into an immediate down and laser eyes. But he wasn't. He was killing himself through heat stroke, and I was ignoring the first signs--heavy panting and starting to drool. He had water, and it didn't stop the progression.

I took him in to the vet's when his condition progressed to lethargy (he didn't want to get in the car to go home, just laid down in front of the door) and the drooling got worse and he was panting so heavy, I could see down into his throat. When we got to the vets, they checked his temperature and it was 107.5 and rising (normal temp is around 102).

Again, PLEASE keep an eye on your dog's during the summer. Heat stroke is real, it can happen quickly and right before your eyes, and it has real consequences.

I almost killed my best friend today. Please don't do the same.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Im glad you learned from this mistake, without it ending any worse than it did. What time of day was it? Where i live now that its late June average temps will be in the upper 90's to 110 degrees during mid day (noon - 4pm)

Any hard exercising or anything done outside you should always cut to early mornings and late evenings as the temps are cooler and the humidity is much lower, (normally) of course always water regardless. During the day if they are doing anything outside its just to go to the bathroom then right back in, exercise during these times are done inside the house.

Learn from the mistake and don't worry about it, hes alive and well so don't dwell on what happened just be sure you learn and avoid it at all cost.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
I'm so sorry you both when through this :( I'm really happy to hear Kane will be ok. (hugs you both) We lost Mary Jane to heat stroke, it was horrible and I know how bad it makes you feel. Don't beat yourself up over it, you have obviously learned. Just make sure like KMdogs said, keep play and work to early mornings and late evenings when it is cool.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
thanks for having the stones to post this, it takes alot to admit a mistake but you probably saved a dog or 2 that you dont know!

Reactions: wild_deuce03

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Thats very scary , glad everything is Ok now, dont beat yourself up to much Im sure you learned something here and you did right by him by getting him to the vet Hope he recovers fast and gets back to his normal self.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im glad you learned from this mistake, without it ending any worse than it did. What time of day was it? Where i live now that its late June average temps will be in the upper 90's to 110 degrees during mid day (noon - 4pm)
It was around 10:30. It's 75 right now, but it's been muggy all day and I really should have known better.

I just can't believe I let him do this to himself--I'm usually better about setting the limits for him as I've always known he was very toy-driven.

I don't know what I would have done if he'd died, with the knowledge that I'd killed my best friend. Kane has gotten me through so much, an abusive relationship, deaths in the family, and saved MY life, and this is how I repay him?

Thanks for all your thoughts and well-wishes and the extra tips. If this can save one dog's life, I'll be happy.

And now I have to try to go to work now (kane is still at the vets being monitored).

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
I wish I could give you a hug :( If he's at the vet's they will take good care of him.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Sorry to hear about Kane but I am glad he is recovering. It was very big of you to post this and admit to your error. Unfortunately sometimes we have to learn things the hard way. Keep us posted on your boy! Lots of hugs and kisses coming his way :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Keep us posted on how he's doing, I'm sure he'll be fine, pits are survivors! Lua would play with the flirt pole until she collapsed on the ground, crazy dogs. :rolleyes: Lots of love from the girls and I:love:

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I'm so glad you were able to catch it in time.Thanks so much for posting this.I'm sure you made a few people stop and think about their time outside with their dogs.
Me and mine always go out right before it gets dark.They don't even want to go out during the middle of the day except to use the bathroom.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Don't beat yourself up too much. You made a mistake. It happens. Glad to know that Kane is doing OK.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
my dogs chill inside in the AC w/ me.. when they're outside they have a pool they can lay in to cool off.. after i run them in the back they instantly go lay in the pool.. kinda like an ice bath.. lol

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
my dogs chill inside in the AC w/ me.. when they're outside they have a pool they can lay in to cool off.. after i run them in the back they instantly go lay in the pool.. kinda like an ice bath.. lol
We do the same with Athena. She would stay outside ALL DAY if we let her. We keep a small pool outback and keep the water fresh for her. Find her laying down in it all the time. LOL!

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Yeah scary stuff .. Glad Kane is ok. I don't take the dog's out in this heat for any hard physical activity. When I do take them out during the day we go to the lake to swim. But I always carry lot's of water bottles with me as well. The dog's know how to drink out of them and when we are out and about I give them some water to keep them cool. I am sorry this happened but am glad he is ok. Other than that I put them on the treadmill indoor's or take them out at night when it's cooler.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
What did the vet do to help? Gargamel does this as well, plays all day every day if he can. I have to sit down with him and I hose off his belly with cool water if we are not near a water source. What did the vet give him to help him?

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Ames usually with heat stoke they will wrap cool towels around the dog and put him in a cool well air conditioned area or give the dog a cool bath to try and bring the temp down. They will always run IV lines as well.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Ames usually with heat stoke they will wrap cool towels around the dog and put him in a cool well air conditioned area or give the dog a cool bath to try and bring the temp down. They will always run IV lines as well.
thanks. so scary. Ever since PK told me not to let him guzzle water like I did due to bloat, I always hose him off til his breathing is regulated, but he drools and breaths heavy ALL THE TIME when he plays. Winter or summer! He starts drooling over toys instantly, and usually tries to stall on lawns the walk back to the house from the park, just wondering how to really tell if him playing or reached a danger level....

·
Registered
137 Posts
In case this happens to someone else I've heard that if this happens a great thing to do is to put rubbing alcohol on the dogs paws because it opens the pores more and cools them down faster. Obviously the best thing to do in extreme cases though is to get them to the vet ASAP

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Heatstroke occurs when normal body mechanisms cannot keep the body's temperature in a safe range. Animals do not have efficient cooling systems (like humans who sweat) and get overheated easily. A dog with moderate heatstroke (body temperature from 104º to 106ºF) can recover within an hour if given prompt first aid and veterinary care (normal body temperature is 100-102.5°F). Severe heatstroke (body temperature over 106ºF) can be deadly and immediate veterinary assistance is needed.
Signs

A dog suffering from heatstroke will display several signs:

Rapid panting
Bright red tongue
Red or pale gums
Thick, sticky saliva
Depression
Weakness
Dizziness
Vomiting - sometimes with blood
Diarrhea
Shock
Coma
What you should do

Remove the dog from the hot area immediately. Prior to taking him to your veterinarian, lower his temperature by wetting him thoroughly with cool water (for very small dogs, use lukewarm water), then increase air movement around him with a fan. CAUTION: Using very cold water can actually be counterproductive. Cooling too quickly and especially allowing his body temperature to become too low can cause other life-threatening medical conditions. The rectal temperature should be checked every 5 minutes. Once the body temperature is 103ºF, the cooling measures should be stopped and the dog should be dried thoroughly and covered so he does not continue to lose heat. Even if the dog appears to be recovering, take him to your veterinarian as soon as possible. He should still be examined since he may be dehydrated or have other complications.

Allow free access to water or a children's rehydrating solution if the dog can drink on his own. Do not try to force-feed cold water; the dog may inhale it or choke.

What your veterinarian will do

Your veterinarian will lower your dog's body temperature to a safe range (if you have not already) and continually monitor his temperature. Your dog will be given fluids, and possibly oxygen. He will be monitored for shock, respiratory distress, kidney failure, heart abnormalities, and other complications, and treated accordingly. Blood samples may be taken before and during the treatment. The clotting time of the blood will be monitored, since clotting problems are a common complication.

Aftercare

Dogs with moderate heatstroke often recover without complicating health problems. Severe heatstroke can cause organ damage that might need ongoing care such as a special diet prescribed by your veterinarian. Dogs who suffer from heatstroke once increase their risk for getting it again and steps must be taken to prevent it on hot, humid days.

Prevention

Any pet that cannot cool himself off is at risk for heatstroke. Following these guidelines can help prevent serious problems.

Keep pets with predisposing conditions like heart disease, obesity, older age, or breathing problems cool and in the shade. Even normal activity for these pets can be harmful.
Provide access to water at all times.
Do not leave your pet in a hot parked car even if you're in the shade or will only be gone a short time. The temperature inside a parked car can quickly reach up to140 degrees.
Make sure outside dogs have access to shade.
On a hot day, restrict exercise and don't take your dog jogging with you. Too much exercise when the weather is very hot can be dangerous.
Do not muzzle your dog.
Avoid places like the beach and especially concrete or asphalt areas where heat is reflected and there is no access to shade.
Wetting down your dog with cool water or allowing him to swim can help maintain a normal body temperature.
Move your dog to a cool area of the house. Air conditioning is one of the best ways to keep a dog cool, but is not always dependable. To provide a cooler environment, freeze water in soda bottles, or place ice and a small amount of water in several resealable food storage bags, then wrap them in a towel or tube sock. Place them on the floor for the dog to lay on.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Also if your going to be out and about in the heat with your dogs ames carry water bottles that's what I do with AVA and Bogart. I carry a bunch with me when the dog's start panting I open a bottle and give them each one.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts