Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, I searched and found some of the info about converting calories into kcals, seems like all calories are already kcalories? But them others say that's not true and its by 100. I also tried to figure out the formula myself and I searched for the ones KM had posted, but for some reason my searched are not pulling the threads. any help is appreciated.

I am training Mel each day and he is only responding to cheese. I am also trying to get his weight under control and I don't want all the cheese to screw that up so i know I need to cut back on kibbles, just dont know how much to cut back. I am going to try chicken hot dogs, but not sure if the spices to make it taste like a hot dog in the chicken ones will mess with his belly yet. In any case any help converting how much cheese I give and how much kibbles to take away, I would appreciate it.

He is about 63 lbs and I currently feed him 2 cups a day of this:

and the cheese I give him is about 2-3oz during the training (small little cubes)

What should he get for kibbles with the cheese added daily? if Mel gets 884kcals in 2 cups, and 210cals in the cheese, do I give him 1 and 1/2 cup of kibbles? or 1 3/4 cup?

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Kcals is how hey measure energy content in dog food but I would not get too worried about calculating it. You need to feed according to the dogs weight and how he looks. Is this because you are trying to get him to lose weight? If you want to put him on a good diet food then get Science diet W/D it is the least Kcal per cup dog food you can get and is great for taking weight off. You should only need one bag and that should be enough weight off to go on a regular diet. Normally I hate SD as a food but they make good prescription foods.

Metabolizable Energy¹ (Caloric Content)

Dry 2986 kcal/kg (243 kcal/per cup ² )

¹Measurement of Usable Energy in a food, which differs substantially from gross caloric content.
² An eight fluid oz. measuring cup of w/d® Canine contains 2.9 oz. by weight

Average Nutrient Contents

Nutrient
Dry Matter1
%
Protein 18.9
Fat 8.8
Carbohydrate (NFE) 51.2
Crude Fiber 16.4
Soluble Fiber 1.3
Insoluble Fiber 27.8

Calcium 0.66
Phosphorus 0.56
Sodium 0.22
Potassium 0.70
Magnesium 0.088
Carnitine 349 ppm
Vitamin C 274 mg/kg
Vitamin E 574 IU/kg

¹The nutrient in the product after moisture is removed. It is used to make direct comparisons of nutrient profiles of products with differing moisture contents.

Prescription Diet: Therapeutic Pet Food for Cats and Dogs | Hill's Pet Nutrition

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought I had his.kibbles under control but now with the daily cheese I am worried he is getting more than he should to lose weight. I don't want his daily cheese to undo Trying to lose weight. So I figured I should cut some kibbles back to compensate and didn't know how much. Even if I change foods I would still have the same concern, how much to cut back on kibbles on days he gets lots of cheese.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no he didn't like string cheese. he only likes Swiss and extra sharp cheddar. I go through about 2 ounces cut up into little bits in the hour I am working with him (about 220calories and 14g protein). I figure since its protein and calories I should compensate with less kibbles? Or am I worrying too much? lol The trainer mentioned I should cut back a bit, I am just trying to figure out what "a bit" means, dont want to starve him by shorting him too many kibbles or make him gain when I am trying to get him to weigh less...

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Well that is what is great about the W/D it is so low in Kcal's that you can feed an amount to keep the dog feeling full without cutting too far back where they feel starving. I would make sure the cheese is low fat if possible and also cut into really small bits they need no more than a taste. If he has been in training longer than a few weeks you also should be cutting back on treating. You should not have to treat every command if you are far a long in training. That is JMO though ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Lisa. I am going to the vet tomorrow for a weird bump I don't like and will maybe pick a bag up. We only started training Monday so only a coupe days in bye is already spot on with look and touch though so I am cutting back for those requests :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts