Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Banned
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my female is pregnant and i have a male but im going to keep 2 puppies(not for breeding) and i was wandering how can i prevent fighting when they are older,and should i keep 2 males or 2 females or one male and one female puppies which conbination will help prevent fighting,my current dogs are not dog aggressive,i really really apreciate any help

· The Yard Of Many Colors
3,422 Posts
are they gonna be outside kept? if they are inside get them crate trained... idk what to tell you on what sex to get... all my male dogs get along great together... its my females who are DA.. everydog is different :)

· Work them Pet Bulls!
3,950 Posts
Intact animals have a much lower chance of getting along than when they are spayed and neutered. Yes, fixed animals can still fight but the chances are higher intact because of hormones. At this point you already have a male and female which they say is better than having both the same sex. However, by you keeping two pups whether they are two males, two females, or one of each you are still going to have issues IMO. Crate, rotate, and separate. :) I know very few people who have intact males that get along. A friend of mine had two males that grew up together and always got along fine but by the time they hit full maturity 2-3 years she had multiple blood baths on her hands. Now they are permanently separated!

· Registered
4,196 Posts
You may have to build kennels if you have not already. It is a very bad idea to leave four Pit Bulls loose in a fenced yard together. (This is assuming that is what your setup is like. I have no idea.) There are lots of problems in addition to the potential fighting. Theft. More pregnancies. Escape. Tampering by nosy/vindictive neighbors. Calls to animal control. Even if your current dogs are dog-friendly, the more you add to the "pack," the more likely they are to "gang up," and that can lead to fence-fighting and redirecting behaviors which are no fun. That is not to say they can't possibly all hang out together while you're around, but you don't want them to all be loose together unsupervised.

There are a lot of elements to dog aggression. One is simply that some dogs like to fight, and there's not much you can do about that. You can try being a strong and dominant pack leader, but you'll have to constantly be on your toes with them. Then there is aggression over food or toys, which would require you to pick all those things up when the dogs are out together. There is also redirecting aggression (mentioned briefly above) where a dog wants something sooooo bad that when he can't get it, he grabs the closest dog to him instead. Unfortunately, if you own Pit Bulls, aggression is part of the big picture.

It does not really matter if you keep males or females. I've seen equal aggression from both sexes. A lot of people say females have an easier time getting along. In my experience, males are more mellow and females are more bitchy. But on the other hand, when males throw down it can be horrific. Among even my own personal dogs, I've seen males and females fight each other, too.

If your dogs are already outside dogs, have you thought about where your female is going to whelp her litter? She will need a safe, secure place away from the male and the general public. Even in setups where all the adult dogs are on chains, most breeders still have pens where the mom and her new litter are separated from the rest of the dogs.

· Banned
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You may have to build kennels if you have not already. It is a very bad idea to leave four Pit Bulls loose in a fenced yard together. (This is assuming that is what your setup is like. I have no idea.) There are lots of problems in addition to the potential fighting. Theft. More pregnancies. Escape. Tampering by nosy/vindictive neighbors. Calls to animal control. Even if your current dogs are dog-friendly, the more you add to the "pack," the more likely they are to "gang up," and that can lead to fence-fighting and redirecting behaviors which are no fun. That is not to say they can't possibly all hang out together while you're around, but you don't want them to all be loose together unsupervised.

There are a lot of elements to dog aggression. One is simply that some dogs like to fight, and there's not much you can do about that. You can try being a strong and dominant pack leader, but you'll have to constantly be on your toes with them. Then there is aggression over food or toys, which would require you to pick all those things up when the dogs are out together. There is also redirecting aggression (mentioned briefly above) where a dog wants something sooooo bad that when he can't get it, he grabs the closest dog to him instead. Unfortunately, if you own Pit Bulls, aggression is part of the big picture.

It does not really matter if you keep males or females. I've seen equal aggression from both sexes. A lot of people say females have an easier time getting along. In my experience, males are more mellow and females are more bitchy. But on the other hand, when males throw down it can be horrific. Among even my own personal dogs, I've seen males and females fight each other, too.

If your dogs are already outside dogs, have you thought about where your female is going to whelp her litter? She will need a safe, secure place away from the male and the general public. Even in setups where all the adult dogs are on chains, most breeders still have pens where the mom and her new litter are separated from the rest of the dogs.
around a week before she has them im going to be placing her in my garage and have a whelping area set up,is ther any activities i can do with them i.e walking etc. that will help them get along better

· Premium Member
9,176 Posts
is the garage heated? i think bahamutt and others have givin great advice already :) you can walk them when they are old enough I find teaching the pups to walk on the leash is easier when you have a adult who is well trained on leash go along too they tend to just follow making it easier. You have awhile before they will be together so just do lots of reading , researching so you have an idea what to expect and what you can do if certain issues come up :) you might not have any issues you may be one of the lucky ones , key is to be prepared incase they dont get along or if something changes with them, And not to let a bad situation come about by making sure they are NEVER left unsupervised crateing is a great thing :) best of luck.

· Registered
4,196 Posts
Walking together can be a nice bonding activity, but its not going to be easy for you to walk 4 dogs when they're grown up. Unless you've got help. We used to take 3 dogs for walks together, but there were also 3 handlers so each person only walked one dog.

Just curious, why keep 2? Are you planning on getting all your dogs spayed/neutered once this litter is over and done with? You're looking at a heap of hassle if you don't.

· Banned
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Walking together can be a nice bonding activity, but its not going to be easy for you to walk 4 dogs when they're grown up. Unless you've got help. We used to take 3 dogs for walks together, but there were also 3 handlers so each person only walked one dog.

Just curious, why keep 2? Are you planning on getting all your dogs spayed/neutered once this litter is over and done with? You're looking at a heap of hassle if you don't.
my brothers live wth me and they each want to keep one so yeah,i will have help walking them

· Work them Pet Bulls!
3,950 Posts
my brothers live wth me and they each want to keep one so yeah,i will have help walking them
Bahamutt asked a good question if you plan on spaying and neutering? You didn't answer so I am assuming "no" :confused: You did state that you are keeping two but not for breeding purposes. I agree, if you don't fix them you are going to have big issues.

· Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Your dogs will be fine with each other for a while but as they mature you will most likely have problems. NEVER leave them alone together or you could come home to a dead dog. All the hope in the world will not make them get along so be realistic. There is nothing you can do to change how they will get along at some point you will have to separate them. If you are not prepared to separate 4 dogs and house them separate then do not keep 2 of the dogs. It does not matter what combination of sexes you try these dogs are not pack dogs.

I am a dog trainer and have had multiple APBT's for about 15 year now. They use to get along till they started to mature. I do have training on them and on leash they are just fine and under control. I could walk 8 dogs and they do not pull but that is a bunch of training on each dog individually. Here I have several dogs who did not all get along in a sit stay. This was Halloween they were huge Hefner and the playboy bunnies.

When they use to get along I could have many of the out together. Here is 8 dogs hanging out in the tiny apt we use to live in. These dogs are under 2 years old and most under 1 year, then they started to not get along as they matured and had to be separated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.