Go Pitbull Forums banner

Keeping up drive and gaining endurance

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  tablerock 
#1 ·
Well my boy Apollo is a little firecracker! He is only 11 weeks, so I just do tug o war with him for now. I may get into a flirtpole soon. But, only while he is a pup because I dont want any big jumps to turn his stomach over. Any who what are some ways that I can make sure that he maintains a highdrive and builds up endurance until I am able to begin weight pull training? Also would it be okay to trim some puppy fat? Or should I just let him enjoy himself lol.

#2 ·
Don't worry about puppy fat, let him be till he is over 6 months a far as weight is concerned. No hard exercise till he is at least 10 months or you can hurt his growth plates. You can do flirt pole but no jumping and keep sessions short and under 10 min. You can start WP training now but only with a harness and no weight till at least 6 months then work up to 10lbs of drag weight.
Tablerock has a great adjustable harness for puppies, I love mine and it works great.
Tablerock Harnesses and Dog Supplies
for drive check out an article I wrote and posted in the Schutzhund forum
http://www.gopitbull.com/schutzhund/13021-building-drive-working-dog.html

#4 ·
swimming is a great low impact way of exercise which will keep stress off of your growing dog. Avoid jumping, as stated aboved and keep things short and sweet.

The problem ppl get is they try to work a dog until its tired. Let take a flirt pole for example. If you work a dog until it is tired it looses interest. You want to quit basically during the highest fun point, leaving the dog begging for more. Hope im making sence.

#6 ·
I have made many and I know ppl will recommend making them out of pvc but I like using horse whips. You can get one at the feed store for under $20. like this
Equine Supplies at Jeffers Equine: Horse Supply, Horse Supplies, Horse Vaccines, Discount Horse Supply, Discount Horse Supplies, Horse Product, Equine Product, Equine Supply, Horse Care Product, Tack Supplies, and Equestrian Supplies
Then I use parachute cord (because my husband was a paratrooper) but you can use a light weight rope and make it as long an you want. Then I put a leather hide or rabbit skin. You can put anything on the end that your dog likes.

I love the flirt pole, it builds prey drive for when I do Sch and it give my dogs a great work out. My 13 week old puppy has been on the flirt pole since she was 6 weeks.
I will take a picture of my pole and post it for you. I have made and seen many and I like this design the most. JMO

#8 ·
i too would love to see it.

fetch is good to play, they run at their own speed and wont hurt themselfs. swimming is good too.flirt pole is fine, just keep it on/low to the ground.

leave the puppy fat alone for now, my pup just turned 7 months and is 46lbs and could probally loose 3lbs honestly. but im not worryed about that yet, few more months.

#12 ·
I'm am one who believes pups need to be pups. Overdoing it can cause permanent damage and injury so just be careful with what you choose to do. Hand walking and swimming are great exercise and so is just plain old playing. Also don't forget obed/agility foundations can be set at this time and working the mind is also important to a healthy body IMO.

At this young of an age you should not be worried about building up endurance as much as training the pup, playing, bonding and building/nurturing confidence; the rest will then fall into place as you go. Just do not rush things.

If a dog truly has great drive it doesn't go away. It can be built up and or hindered though by what you do.

Best of luck with your pup, he is a doll! I love his ears :)

Reactions: MY MIKADO
#16 ·
I’m with Patch and Performance! Puppies need to be puppies. Right now your puppy’s bones are still growing and joints are still developing. Trying to bring along a pup too quickly will only destroy its structure and development. At this age even taking your pup on walks that are too long can jeopardize its long term heath. All our pup needs is lots of fun walks and plenty of playtime. All you want to do with a pup is set the groundwork for a fit adult dog. You want to get them excited about exercising (ie) playtime and walks. The biggest factor in a dogs muscle development and definition is genetics and I can’t stress that enough. Your dog is either breed with it or not. You can bring out a dogs potential, but you cannot make your dog something that is not in its genetic makeup. You can do things early that will give your pup all it need to bring out it potential. I’ve never start working a set program with my dogs until they’re were at least 12 months old. P.S. That's a great signature photo!!!! Very cute pup!!!

#17 · (Edited)
I LOVE flirt poles!
We use both a PVC flirt and a Buggy Whip Flirt...each for different goals in mind. The PVC flirt when used with an adult dog can create a tug of war/chase game with your dog while the Buggy Whip has quicker movement.
PVC Flirt...approx. $15.00
Buggy Whip Flirt...approx. $20-$25
Have fun with your pup! Don't overdo it and remember...all you have with your dog is time so don't go overkill right now!

**edited to add I am not selling flirt poles, simply giving price on making your own**

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.