Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok dumb question here.. Put our kennel in the kitchen when we leave for work or are not at home.. our Rampage is a inside dog 95% of the time unless we are out side with him.. Now my question is would it be ok to keep Page the kennel in the garage while we are at work or is it to cruel? Where do some of you guys keep yours?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I think it depends where you live, its very cold here in BC so we keep our kennels in the house we have one in the dinning room in the corner one in the livingroom blocking off the front door we dont use anyways lol , and a 3rd in the kitchen. if your garage isnt cold i say its fine { or too hot depending where you live}

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok well for me I live in Texas..My garage stays lit up and I have 2 fans in the garges I can turn on at any time. I really think they would be ok in there I just wanted to get some opinions on whether other people do it or not..

·
Registered
281 Posts
my guys are spoiled and have their own room but I have often thought about putting them in the basement or in the garage with straw and the right draft prevention they would be fine as it would only be for when we go to work or to the store. I keep my guys 2 to a crate but they are lose when we are home. so going away for a few hours slightly colder isnt bad, actully the heat is turned off in their dog room and sometimes i crack the window a smidge, my guys would rather be cold than stuffy and hot. good luck

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
As long as they are not locked away from the world in the dark I don't see an issue. Since it is just for while you are at work and as long as temperature is appropriate it should be fine.

I have 3 crates in my living room, One in my husbands office, One in my 6year olds room, 1 dog in my room and 2 dogs outside in a topped kennel with straw and a weather appropriate house.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do or Do Not Crate

Gosh, there are so many things to look at when deciding to crate your dogs, where is it safe, do they need water, size of the area, it just goes on and on. I would like to start by saying that no one knows your dog better than you do so, if you think your dog will be happy in a crate, then by all mean, crate them. I have a friend that work in dog rescues. Her whole garage is taken up with individual 5-6' x 6' kennels. She keeps lots of cedar shaving on the floor that help to keep them warm in the winter and dry if they happen to have an accident. The kennels are large enough for the dogs to have a few toys and room to get up and move around freely. This would also work in a basement. I think we just need to keep in mind what our dogs need, heat or fans, when they are kenneled. Many times you can find kennels on Craigslist. I purchased one at the beginning of the summer that is a 10' x 10'. I only paid $100 for the kennel which was simply to put together.
I think if I needed to crate my Am Bulldog that I would use a larger area with this type of kennel. Fortunately for me and Belle, we have a in/out door so she can freely go outside or inside the house. This method works for us but I'm sure it's not for everyone.
Goliath

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well my boy Rampage has been kept in a kennel when we leave for work since he was a puppy.. He has no issues with it at all. I was just wondering cause I know there are some people that would say its wrong to keep them in the garage..

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm just saying, I "personally" would not feel right crating my dog for 8 or more hour each day. I'm sure that everyone will have their own opinions on this subject. You know your dog better than anyone else so decide what you think would make your dog happy.
Goliath

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
I don't have a garage, so I keep my boy Kane's crate in the computer room and then Jubi's in the living room inside her Xpen, because that is where I have the room to put them. If I had a garage, I probably wouldn't use it for crating since I live in Michigan and it gets freezing in the winter and hot in the summer. I'd be too paranoid about the temperature.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
It all depends on how you feel about it. I crate for 8 hours a day, 4 days a week while I'm at work. I crate a rotate while at home since Edward is so hyper and huge he overwhelms Angel. Nothing wrong with crating a dog, it keeps them out of trouble and out of harms way when you are not around.

If the garage is warm/cool and dry it should be fine. I have my crates stack on top of each other in the dinning room area.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts