Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
For short periods you could leave 2 dogs in that size, but thats more of a 1 dog size if its more than a couple hours. They may be getting along at this point in time but right now they are both puppies and neither are mature which is when Dog aggression sets in for most dogs. They may not become DA or they could you will not know till it happens. However you need to realize that since breeds of this type are prone to being dog aggressive that if you leave town you may come home one day to a fight having broke out and you where not there to stop it.

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At this point i think it would be a much better choice to make two 6x6x6 kennels.

What do you think of sand idea? I think it would be comfortable for them, and it would be easier to pick up their droppings as well.

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts
I honestly wouldn't suggest keeping them together in one run but rather two 10x10 kennels with a slab of plywood to block the chain link between the two kennels to prevent the dogs from somehow snagging the others limb. It is better to be safe then sorry. As for sand I'd go with Granite rock dust but that is my opinion

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
They may love each other to death now but you can't fight genetics. DA (dog aggression) in these dogs is not something you can train out of them or never see if you "raise them right".. It is genetically instilled in these dogs (whether we are talking APBT or any dog that has the breed as a foundation or in its past) after years of selective breeding for desired traits for the historic work performed.

That said, you put your two dogs in the same kennel and go out of town.. The likely hood of you coming home to injuries or a dead dog is high.. A full on fight can happen in a blink of an eye and it only takes a few moments for things to take a turn for the worse...

Proper confinement whether we are talking a minute or a day is separation. Everyone thinks their dogs are an exception to the rule and they all end up wishing they did it differently when things go from great to horrible.. Of all the years i've heard people tell me its "how you raise them", "my dogs wont hurt a fly", etc i have never been proven wrong.. It is what it is..

You may be one of the very lucky ones to never have an issue throughout their lives, however why take that risk?

Reactions: Xiahko

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
They may love each other to death now but you can't fight genetics. DA (dog aggression) in these dogs is not something you can train out of them or never see if you "raise them right".. It is genetically instilled in these dogs (whether we are talking APBT or any dog that has the breed as a foundation or in its past) after years of selective breeding for desired traits for the historic work performed.

That said, you put your two dogs in the same kennel and go out of town.. The likely hood of you coming home to injuries or a dead dog is high.. A full on fight can happen in a blink of an eye and it only takes a few moments for things to take a turn for the worse...

Proper confinement whether we are talking a minute or a day is separation. Everyone thinks their dogs are an exception to the rule and they all end up wishing they did it differently when things go from great to horrible.. Of all the years i've heard people tell me its "how you raise them", "my dogs wont hurt a fly", etc i have never been proven wrong.. It is what it is..

You may be one of the very lucky ones to never have an issue throughout their lives, however why take that risk?
:goodpost:

I would also skip the sand and use gravel in there kennels. I would just add a dog house and put some soft bedding in there that they can lay on. JMO

·
Gotta Love Them Red Dogs!
487 Posts
I'm definitely on the separating dogs side of things.
I have 4 as of right now, (a pit bull,am. bullie pup,black lab,and golden retriever)

Many are against it and many are for it in proper terms but I tether my dogs.
each has a 17ft chain and are ATLEAST 15 feet from eachother.
Each has their own dog house,water bucket (surrounder by metal poles just wide enough to get their heads in because my dogs have a fetish with flipping buckets),and access to a shady spot.

My dogs all get along,too. But as everyone is saying sometimes you cannot fight genetics and you have to beable to keep an eye on everyone. my dogs are all house dogs and live together BUT I also have a break stick and back up plans for if anything ever went sour. You can never predict when or if your dog will become DA.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
They may love each other to death
thats almost a pun... i think 2 separate kennels is always a good idea every thing just needs their own space anyways and if your dogs develop an issue in the future its there and you dont have to wait to put it up... but prevent the issue these dogs whether bullys, pet bulls, or game dogs still have fight in em they're not golden retrievers they're from dogs that have dogs who where bred to fight at some point in their pedegrees the urge is still there, yes there are some dogs that are cold even dogs that were game bred but i wouldnt count on a cold dog being cold unless of course you had some solid proof that the dog wont actually fight.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
the sand I think they would be able to dig in easier so if you use sand make sure you dig down 1st and lay chicken wire or something so they cant dig there way out.
for outdoor kennels I like these, he shows how he set his up and gives you an idea maybe onwhat you cantry and do.
http://www.gopitbull.com/do-yourself/37011-my-outdoor-set-up.html

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was looking through that thread earlier, and its a great kennel.

Thanks for the input, i guess ima have to build them each a condo.

ill post pics, and update everyone when im done with it. :)

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
sand is easy but its a bad idea for several reasons. if your dogs ever contract worms, mites, or other parasites you would have to replace the sand because of contamination. over time, sand will mix with soil, decaying vegetation, dog food, feces, and provide home for all kinds of critters.
gravel is better. but i like the idea of pavers. which allow for proper drainage. and a bleachable surface.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Id go with cement as well I like the idea of being able to bleach the surface. Ours has grass in it but they arent out there much if they were it would be more mud im sure. I wouldnt mind having cement laid down with drainage for that reason.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
My dogs stay out in run all day instead of chain set ups. I would suggest nothing smaller that 12 x 6. That give just enough room for water bucket, dog house, somewhere to lay and play, and to go to the bathroom. Anything smaller than that and they will be sitting in their own waste. I think it's fine for them to be together as young pups but not as they get older, you could come home to a dead dog. So yes two runs at least 6 x 12.

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
quick update: I decide to do a 8x8x8 kennel. This is the old dog house which only fitted one dog. I also put up some posts that are very difficult to come out.

Next i upgraded their dog house, i still need to work on the the dog houses floor. i have three dog beds in there.

The kennel will be used to just have them there when company is over. Update of the house: Ima paint it green to make it match with the lawn lol. I also got some wire thats really tough, got it off old cotton trailers. Next, ill be painting the fence, and putting up thick posts at each corner to strengthen the kennel.

Tomorrow i will be mocking up a door, removing the chain link wire and applying this type of wire to the door, i also have to cement the poles, so ill update you guys/ladies.

Im also going to take some pics of the inside of the dog house, im really proud, especially, since my dad helped me out.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
miguel thats awesome. If its just for when company is over should be fine as long as they get along { that can change you know } I like the smaller houses for if they are going to be outside dogs as it gets alot colder up here and smaller areas are easier to keep warm , but the house looks fine for where your at and for what your using it for. If anything you could put some sort of flap { we use thick rubber up here} just closes it up a bit more so no wind or rain can get in.
The only down fall i see if it was my dogs they would be ontop of that house and jumping over lol , { i had to put a roof on our dog run} so just keep that in mind you may have to modify if your dog is an escape artist LOL.
Love that your dad helped you thats pretty cool., Post some pics of that pup havent seen her in awhile.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
My dogs stay out in run all day instead of chain set ups. I would suggest nothing smaller that 12 x 6. That give just enough room for water bucket, dog house, somewhere to lay and play, and to go to the bathroom. Anything smaller than that and they will be sitting in their own waste. I think it's fine for them to be together as young pups but not as they get older, you could come home to a dead dog. So yes two runs at least 6 x 12.
is 6x12 smaller than being on 12ft tether? like in floor space?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have two females one is 7.5 months old(Chloe), and the other is 15 weeks old(envy)... They are getting along well, and i they are growing up together. When i got chloe she grew up alongside my Chi's, and they love each other to death. My new puppy Envy, is beginning to get along with my dogs, and loves following chloe around...............
-Can i have them both in the same kennel?
The Kennel will be 10wx10lx6h
-Instead of gravel or Cement, would it be possible to use Sand?

They currently sleep on a big bed, all four, my two small chi's and my two females.

They will not be in the kennel the whole day or night, as they have the whole backyard to themselves, but i just want something to put them in when i go out of town, or if i have people coming over, i dont want them jumping on them or scaring someone.

Here they are sleeping right now.
DA :hammer: DA :hammer: DA

Like stated before... DA is embedded in these dogs. I'd keep a close eye on your older female as she may or may not show DA 1st.

Your 2 kennels look like they are coming along good. Just know "pit bulls" are good escape artist. I had to get an 8' fence to contain mine with locks on the entry gate

Nice pups

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
update: It rained on me so i got delayed, but so far i got the post up, i was able to get new fencing on the door. The door is done, but the kennel is always maintained open. Only way the door goes on if is one of the dogs is acting up, people visit, and/or w.e other reasons.

Painted it army green and put the cemented posts up. Ill be getting some gravel for the bottom, painting the wiring, and insulating inside the dog house wit insulation boards and silicone for gaps.

Envy watching me fix her doggy house.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts