Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a year old pit bull male. (Hes getting fixed Thursday). Hes started to show dog aggression but not much and I can handle that however today he started showing aggression towards children. When he meets strangers that are adults and teenagers he is happy and loves them to pet him. Even on walks he loves the dogs he meets and the people. Today I was introducing him to my boyfriends new German Shepherd pup and he was fine. She would jump on me and him and he didn't once growl. He was fine and that was main thing I was worried about with him starting to get dog aggressive. But out of nowhere he started growing and barking at my boyfriends little cousin. She wasn't running or anything and he just went nuts. I never seen him so mad even with dogs he didn't like. I thought maybe she did something he didn't like so I put him up. I brought my cousins around him and he acted same way, growling and barking. But when my adult cousin came near he wagged his tail and let him pet him. I'm confused as to why he wouldn't like kids as he hasn't had negative experience around kids that I can recall.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Take him to the vet .. if there is no medical reason . IMHO put him down .. human aggression is never a okay thing .. now if it is fearful aggression you could possibly call a behaviorist .. but if the children are doing nothing and not paying him any attention then that doesn't sound fearful to me and its time to say goodbye.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been around dogs (non-pitbull) that were people aggressive and he doesn't act the same way. I never say put a dog to sleep unless I tried everything possible. If he was flat out people aggressive then yes I would put him to sleep, but its just children. I have been in shelters that have dogs that aren't good with kids and they still get adopted into homes that don't have kids, so only issue I would see that I would have to put him to sleep is because the pitbull stereotype. I'm not an owners that pushes my dogs. If they don't like to be somewhere or around someone I don't put them in the situation. Hes not around kids unless I bring one around him. I would like to find a method first to see if I can save him instead of flat out put him to sleep. Last week I had to put an adopted dog to sleep due to distemper and though I only had him for a month I don't want to go through that again especially since I've had this one for a year.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He only acted that way when the kids tried to get near him like get close. He wouldn't bark and growl just because the kids was where he could see because she was around the whole time but once they got close he freaked out. He wasn't seeking them out.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
he was rescued? so it is possible a child has mistreated him before and maybe he is associating all kids with that previous experience? I would have him checked out maybe work with a trainer have him temperment tested, but to me if he is only acting up when the kids come to him it sounds fear based. You may be able to work this out, helps if you are a childless home he may just not be ok with kids again , but would want to work out what I can. The only thing I worry about a dog who has fear aggression towards kids is if he ever gets out or loose and there is a kid in his way, really makes for a sad story in the news and we already seem to have enough of those with this breed. I agree with you to do what you can and see if you can right this issue, but I agree with the other post as well if he cant be trusted that is NOT a trait this breed should carry and best bet would be to PTS. Best of luck with him, I hope it works out for the best but I would get a professional on that ASAP.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He was bought from a person thinking he was a boxer and then his wife said it was a pit bull and she made him get rid of it. I took him because no one wanted him. He was few months old I think. There is no kids in my area and I don't plan on having kids for years. With him only acting that way when they come near him I think I can train him better/keep him away from kids. If not I agree that I will have to put him to sleep. I can deal with a dog being dog aggressive but I can't have a powerful dog attacking small children.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As for him having bad experience with children... he hasn't been around a lot of kids since I had him because everyone I know with kids is afraid of pitbulls. So it could be possible that the previous person's kids messed with him as a pup or that my little cousins did something to him when he wasn't at my house for couple of months. I'm not 100% sure so I can't count that as the issue or not the issue.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Take him to the vet .. if there is no medical reason . IMHO put him down .. human aggression is never a okay thing .. now if it is fearful aggression you could possibly call a behaviorist .. but if the children are doing nothing and not paying him any attention then that doesn't sound fearful to me and its time to say goodbye.
lol my dog isn't perfect time to kill it.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
79 Posts
As for him having bad experience with children... he hasn't been around a lot of kids since I had him because everyone I know with kids is afraid of pitbulls. So it could be possible that the previous person's kids messed with him as a pup or that my little cousins did something to him when he wasn't at my house for couple of months. I'm not 100% sure so I can't count that as the issue or not the issue.
They have a lot of dog training classes that help with socialization. You could have a kid family member come in and feed her. Or play with her. It's all about patience and re-training them. Positive reinforcement, my friend.

Something probably did happen to her and it's your job as her owner to fix that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks papertissue. :) I came on this site for advice and some positive feedback because when I first saw him act that way I thought oh my gosh I have to put him to sleep. If it was that easy then I would have done it already, but its not so I'm on here seeking help. I think where he hasn't had much if any kid socialization and maybe bad experience with them that I need to reverse that. I know hes a good dog because I can do more with him and get away with it than I can my other dogs (non pit) that will try to bite me just for touching their feet lol.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks papertissue. :) I came on this site for advice and some positive feedback because when I first saw him act that way I thought oh my gosh I have to put him to sleep. If it was that easy then I would have done it already, but its not so I'm on here seeking help. I think where he hasn't had much if any kid socialization and maybe bad experience with them that I need to reverse that. I know hes a good dog because I can do more with him and get away with it than I can my other dogs (non pit) that will try to bite me just for touching their feet lol.
No problem hun. I'm sure once he's around a bit more kids he'll open up and learn to love them. Sometimes when I'm bored I'll walk my pit around schools just so she understand how crazy kids are sometimes. She's not socialized perfectly yet so I know where you're coming from. Everything will work out in the end if you put 100% in. Trust me.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
I agree, get a behaviorist in to look at your pup before thinking about PTS. Especially if you don't have kids or have the dog near kids, I agree, I see many dogs that should not be placed in or around kids. Its about the you being a responsible owner and you never letting him fail by being around kids until you get someone to access the situation. You never know what happened before you, even though you were told, they may not have been able to watch their pup and may live next door to a hellion who would mess with your pup. It could be how the kids are approaching your pup. I would ask the vet to take a look when you get him neutered and find a behaviorist in your area to check out what they think about temperament.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Human aggression is never ok, especially towars children .even if they r too close.I would , as hard as it be for me to do, I would have the dog put to sleep

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The place I'm getting him neutered isn't a vet place. It's just a spay and neuter clinic. Vet in my area told me it be like up to $175 and that's not including pain meds :|. I even called around and the prices was outrageous, but I found a discount place that it only cost $40 to get it done since I'm a college student. After he is healed up from surgery I planned to take him to a vet to make sure the surgery went okay and check his health. Then I will take your advice and ask the vet for help or referrals.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Human aggression is never ok, especially towars children .even if they r too close.I would , as hard as it be for me to do, I would have the dog put to sleep
So your saying that a dog that has been beaten and abused by humans, shows ANY signs of aggression it should be killed?

As I said before...

lol I don't want to take the time and train my dog properly so I'm going to kill it.

:snap:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So your saying that a dog that has been beaten and abused by humans, shows ANY signs of aggression it should be killed?

As I said before...

lol I don't want to take the time and train my dog properly so I'm going to kill it.

:snap:
Yeah it is weird that a pit bull site has so many people saying to kill the dog. I don't see how that would make us any better than the people at shelters killing a dog because it looks like a pit bull. I understand if I tried everything and he got worse that I might have to put him down but it shouldn't be option number one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah it is weird that a pit bull site has so many people saying to kill the dog. I don't see how that would make us any better than the people at shelters killing a dog because it looks like a pit bull. I understand if I tried everything and he got worse that I might have to put him down but it shouldn't be option number one.
Never listen to anyone that says to kill your dog. Unless it's a veterinarian and even then get a second medical opinion.

And I really feel like that guy was trolling this forum. If he wasn't then I feel really bad for his bullies.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I would never kill my dog just because someone told me to. I don't trust a lot of vets so I would definitely get a second opinion. If I had to kill him because hes probably afraid of kids then I'd have kill my toy poodle because he barks at strangers then runs and my dads lab/blue heeler mix because shes a guard dog in a fence that growls and barks at anyone that nears her. Shes 12-14 and shes never bit anyone because no one should approach a dog that growls and there is a beware of dog sign. Unlike my neighbors we keep our dogs on our property and supervised.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Adopting a child aggressive dog to a non-child home is a start. But unless you can guarantee he will not intact with children, you are dealing with a time bomb in my opinion. People visit and bring kids over, you will encounter children walking down the street. Even the most conscientiousness of dog owners have dogs occasionally slip out of their yards. Kids walk by and put their hands to a fence. The potential for disaster is there.

Having admitted that you feel the dog is aggressive towards children, you have to admit that you are always dealing with a potential accident. It is a huge responsibility, and for your sake if you chose to keep a dog like that, and for the child involved, I hope nothing ever happens. Saying it's just children does not make it okay. Personally I think that makes it worse.

I very rarely want to see a dog put down, but after seeing the results of a savage attack, I never want to see that again. I agree, try training, try a behaviorist, but if that doesn't work, please think about how devastating a dog attack can be.

Not putting a dog down because you are afraid of fueling the stereotype, leaves you with a dog that adds to the statistics that create breed bans. Forget the breed, forget the stigma. Do the best you can with the dog you have, but if need be, swallow your pride and admit that not all dogs are good dogs. It would be nice to save them all, but we can't, so choose to work on one worth keeping.

I've been around dogs (non-pitbull) that were people aggressive and he doesn't act the same way. I never say put a dog to sleep unless I tried everything possible. If he was flat out people aggressive then yes I would put him to sleep, but its just children. I have been in shelters that have dogs that aren't good with kids and they still get adopted into homes that don't have kids, so only issue I would see that I would have to put him to sleep is because the pitbull stereotype. I'm not an owners that pushes my dogs. If they don't like to be somewhere or around someone I don't put them in the situation. Hes not around kids unless I bring one around him. I would like to find a method first to see if I can save him instead of flat out put him to sleep. Last week I had to put an adopted dog to sleep due to distemper and though I only had him for a month I don't want to go through that again especially since I've had this one for a year.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Papertissue what was said is to get her dog checked out by a vet see if there is a medical reason and then look into a trainer who can temperment test him. Then the if there is no logical reason for this and not fixable {which if it is genetic it isnt usually fixable} then putting the dog to sleep is the best bet. Human aggression is something that is NOT suppose to be found in this breed and with the stigma our breed already carries it is not needed in this breed. LAst thing we need is for something to happen where that dog gets out ( and lets be honest here there are ALOT of irresponsible dog owners out there, as well as owners in this breed . Not directed to anyone here but in general). One slip up and we all know what happens our breed is once again in the bad light in the media and people are crying to ban the breed all over again. One mistake from one dog and one owner effects us all as owners and our rights to own this breed.
Alot of temperment issues come about from unstable dogs being bred , BYB 's not knowing what they are breeding and it's genetic and not fixable, its in there genes and just how they are. SO where everyone said to get the dog checked out , it isnt always a happy ending sometimes it cant be fixed and I would rather see a dog put to sleep then to have an oops moment or to see them rehome a problem dog to someone who then has an oops moment.
Might sound mean and harsh but in the bigger picture it is the right thing, the right thing isnt always easy to do though. Hopefully in this case it is something they can work out and not a genetic issue , but time will tell I guess.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts