Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started another obedience class with Bernie. The damn dog wouldn't stop focusing on me lol the exercise was to get him distracted and then teach him to focus lol he wouldn't stop staring at me despite all the distractions.

Bernie sporting his new collar :)

Finally some sun out :)

Hopefully by the end of this class I can have Bernie heeling next to me with no leash in front of all the dogs in the class. I gotta rep for the bull breeds at the akc club !

Nothing like walking your 80 pound doggy with a Stillwater collar in front of 20 dogs :) a couple of them wanted a piece of Bernie but focus is greater than any dog including a 100 pound Dobie lolol

Reactions: Mach0

·
Registered
362 Posts
Good job Bernie! There`s nothing more rewarding when training than when you have complete undivided attention of your dog despite distraction. :)

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you :) these dogs dont get enough credit they are so versatile they can do so much. Time, patience and love will do wonders with these doggies :)

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yay for Bernie! I wish I could get Helena to hold her focus like that.
Thanks:), I think his love of food overrides all natural instincts lol

During this exercise I ignore him and let him get distracted and then I work on using his name to get his attention. I started to walk in circles around him like that so he can see the other dogs to allow him to get distracted. As you can see cheese overpowers his mind. At the end I released to come walk with me and quickly got distracted by the dog and the name command worked instantly. I have to say that this is the best training school, I haven't talked to too many trainers. But the walls of that place is covered with ribbons from winning in so many events.

I was very nervous because he hadn't been there over a year ago and he is much older now and lot of the dogs there are intact. I didn't want him to make a scene but luckily I was calm and focused and he followed my lead. At one point we passed by couple of dogs in the beginner section that tried to lunge and growl at him and he ignored them. This class is going to last 6 weeks so I will get more footage of the boy, my wife is handling him next week so I will get some video:roll:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts