Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know alot of people here feed this costco brand of food so I thought I'd share this even though they are only saying that it might be from the canned food. Just something to keep an eye on just in case its true or if issues arise with the kibble as well. Just thought I'd share this :)

Reports of possible problems with Kirkland Dog Food

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I saw this too and was wondering. Says they had no research to back up the claims but alot of owners with sick or dead dogs said they were feeding this canned food. I know they have issues with the dog treats {chicken jerky} that are also sold at costco being contaminated. I dont know where they make the canned food but im very cautious when buying stuff for the dogs now , I always check labels. They say to avoid products made in china and thats #1 what im looking at now. Do you happen to know if this is another product made in china?

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe in the article it says its made in the USA. Utah or Idaho? I forget which one :-/

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I migrated over to pedigree for financial reasons.

Although, to be honest. My dogs werent eating their food no more. I thought it was the taste, so i switched them from chicken to lamb, and they did the same. I bought a bag of pedigree, and they preferred it over kirkland.

I wonder if my dogs werent eating because maybe the dog food was bad or something.

Oh well, if i see skin/health issues ill see what dog food ill migrate over to science diet. If not ill keep it.
Pedigree! Dude, that stuff is crap and I know you know that already from being on here lol! Why not canidae? You can get a 30 pound bag for under $40 bucks i believe. I understand financial though but i think there's still better alternatives for you.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Ya miggs I agree mine wouldnt eat the kirkland either and really didnt like the results at all on it. Switched mine over to Acana and they love it. the ones I had on orijen I havent noticed a change in since going to Acana ,so would put that up with the same quality as orijen.

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
Heres the catch:

Im working on a BARF diet. Where i do 1/2 raw, 1/4 veg(vegiballs), and 1/4 kibble.

Kibble isnt much of a problem since i feed mostly raw.
morning: Chicken quarter in the morning/small organ portions/ground beef/ect....
noon: Vegi Ball
afternoon: cup of kibble.

Ive read up on different digestive timing for raw and kibble. I left the kibble for the afternoon, since kibble is a much longer digestive process, that way itll digest overnight, and before its time to feed again.

I know BARF diets arent very popular on gopitbull, im just trying something different. Vegies i pick up at the farmer/flea market for dirt cheap, organs dirt cheap, and chicken quarters depends on my local grocery store.

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
Of course they like it, it's junk food=) Like eating candy and cake for breakfast, yum! Better off taking the plunge and going all the way RAW
When im done with my internship, ill ditch kibble in the afternoon, and go all out raw. For now its only in the morning, if i feed raw at night as well, it will double the price in raw lol.

Im starting the diet, this saturday, after they finish there last bits of kirkland.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
there are no secrets when it comes to the health of our dogs.. give it up.. lol

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
i've always heard that canned food has large amounts of artificial chemical additives in them.

i would never feed canned moist food to my dogs.. they chow down on the Kirkland and i dont notice any sick behavior from them

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
Might as well change the thread name to, Diamond & kirkland feeders.
Is Kirkland made by Diamond? Blue Diamond?

Whats the difference between BARF and RAW? thought they were the same basically?

i've always heard that canned food has large amounts of artificial chemical additives in them.
I heard that as well. I know canned has more water and what not, but I would rather add supplements to counteract the water in kibbles than feed canned.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts