Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Hutch has developed a habit of spilling his food all over almost every feeding time. He eats through around half of the bowl then starts nudging over the bowl with his nose until it flips over and he can eat it off the floor. Has anyone ever had this problem with their pup or have any tips on correction. Should i just take away the bowl when he starts to do it and repeat over time for improvement?

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
I had a dog that would only eat off the floor. no matter what I tried he would dump his bowl to eat. Kibble might be hard for him to pick up from in the bowl when it get low

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
It could be behavioral but likely what Dave said, it might be hard for him to eat the rest when the food gets low. You can feed your dog in his crate and just pour the kibble in the corner of the crate. I have 22 dogs right now and they all eat on the crate floor and do just fine. You could try a larger bowl if you do not want to feed in the crate. I like to pick my battles and that is one I would not want to fight over. You can also create some issues if you put too much pressure around feeding time.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Hey KingstonKid
You can buy the kits that attach to the kennel or free stand on the ground.The bowls will be suspended 12" of the ground.That will stop the tipping,and also keep bug's etc out of the food-water.
Thank you,
Henry

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
Goose does that and it used to drive me nuts. He would flip his bowl and play with it, scattering his food all over the place, and he is outside. So after getting irritated I thought to myself, ok sucker you can just eat it off the ground, at least this way I dont have to go find the bowl and all the food is in one place. So now when I feed the dogs I fix all the bowls, walk them to each dog, get to Goose, I just dump it at the base of a tree and he has been eating it this way for 3 months now!

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
Oh yeah, the nut would also do this to his water bowl. I had another dog that would do this and put the water bowl fitted down inside an old truck tire, 35inch tire!, Well he flips that too, so I took a 5 gallon bucket, dug a whole and stuck it in the ground. Well the nut would grab what edge there was and pull it out, this is a FLUSH whole to, no room around the edges. SO then I filled half the bucket with rocks and put it in the ground. That seems to have worked!

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
my pup flips his food bowl. Lucky for me (after reading the above, lol) he just does it enough to spread the food out after he eats a little. I think. Who knows. I hate when he does his water bowl, since thats already level, lol. Maybe they like to herd their food and thats how they do it? funny pups.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah i thinks it's more behavioral. Because sometimes he will flip it when it is nearly full. And same goes with the water bowl. If i didn't get to it to refill it before he does, he will paw at it and flip it all over until i come put more in. I'm going to try what Leatherman suggested. Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Oh yeah, the nut would also do this to his water bowl. I had another dog that would do this and put the water bowl fitted down inside an old truck tire, 35inch tire!, Well he flips that too, so I took a 5 gallon bucket, dug a whole and stuck it in the ground. Well the nut would grab what edge there was and pull it out, this is a FLUSH whole to, no room around the edges. SO then I filled half the bucket with rocks and put it in the ground. That seems to have worked!
Bailey dumps her water bowl and flips a food bowl in the air if I ever give her one with like fish oil in it :) it must have been learned at your house! lol

·
Registered
156 Posts
my pup does this same thing its so irritating when i get home from work an his bowl is flipped over then i worry if he eats cause his food is scattered all over the ground. I juss recently started everymoring when i get him out of his crate bring his dish inside an feed him in the morning an basically watch him eat so i know hes eating makes me feel better lol...I'm goin to try feeding him in the crate like performance said..my only concern is i have him crate trained right now like hes perfect doesnt wine or anything or use the bathroom. I juss wonder if i feed him while hes in the crate will he go to the bathroom in there??? The only time i put him in the crate is when its bed time or if company is over??

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Zeus does it every time I feed him, but after he spread it all over and I take the bowl away he'll eat the rest of it of the ground since he's an outside dog.

·
scratchin hard
2,147 Posts
Hahahaha durnit.....memory lane.....ol tazz(rip) used to do that and she did it for attention.....i would put her bowl down and when i got to the next dog i'd hear it.turn around and she be lookin at me..all i could say was dammit tazz u beet all....went threw this forever.so got the boy to walk her and i took her bowl to the shop drilled a 1/2'' hole in it and drove a rod with a washer welded to it down in the ground..deep!!!
Then let her see me put her food in..and walked off...that crazy ass wrestled with that thing till i was worried about her teeth.
She won!! I pulled it up and said the heck with it!!!

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
Xena's never done that but my GSD Eko was real bad about that as a puppy. He wanted to play with the water, not drink it :D he would put his paws in to splash around and tip the whole thing over. I just started not filling it as full and filling it more often, he grew out of it after a while.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts