Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 year old gotti male is it too late to start trying to put him in weight pulling and shows? I believe he has great potential, a friend of mine gave me a harness 2 years ago and told me see what he can do... so I hooked him up to a jeep Cherokee and he pulled it with no problem.... we haven't really tried any pulling since but he has gotten stronger and more ripped.. did I waste the all that potential? if not where do I start?

here's video

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
yeah I would not have him pull stuff THAT heavy without proper training. I would get a properly fitted harness and the start dragging light weights. But the age of your dog, I would get hips checked because you get into serous pulling to reduce the risk of potential damage

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks he's been checked and is in great health..and we do lots of training and exercise its not like I just decided to hook him up for no reason. he also has a properly fitted harness with padding for pulling. I don't think our workout is very intense but it does have him in great shape. I am sure he is still capable of not more but is it too late to start?

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
She doesn't mean a regular vet check up, to check the hip and joint x-rays are needed. Personally I don't think he's too old at all but you'd need to start back at the beginning of drag training and build up. Start him out with something light like a light chain or bike tire. Also, this is just my personal opinion, but you shouldn't bait your dog. The dog needs to lean the task of pulling not just going after a toy or food. When you bait they're not in the proper position and can injure themselves. The dog should have his head down and tail up.

Should look something like this:

You can see he has his head down and is really digging into the pull. This was just our regular drag training with middle weights so he's just got a tow chain on the harness. Make sure you don't over do it on the training also. Dogs get frustrated just like people do and you can break their interest in it if you push them to hard.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks kg420 appreciate the info... I think I'll start a lil heavier than a bike tire he carries a car tire around everyday when we play

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Your welcome :). Lol my boy has a car tire he drags around the yard too. It's so chewed up and mangled looking. Another thing I'd suggest as well is mixing up the weight for him. If its always a heavy weight he may get frustrated and not want to do it any more. I always do pull down at the end of the week, meaning if he's pulled a heavy weight one day the next training day ill put him on a lighter weight so it's easier for him and that way it doesn't get overly hard and make him want to quit.
They're much like us in the way they need to stretch before interse exercise or they can pull muscles too. I always make sure I do a light hand walk and stretch him out before drag traing or dock diving and give those muscles a good rub down once he's cooled down :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I'm going to take it slow and appreciate all the advice ..we haven't trained with weights before we do lots of running and waking and hanging on things... here's a video of our daily workout

1 - 7 of 7 Posts