Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Original Prankster
13,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So were redoing our whole back yard, tearing down one fence, laying sod and I was thinking about turning one of the barns into an outdoor dog kennel, beings they have electricity, heating and air. My main concern is the koi pond. We got one for free from a friend. Does anyone have one on their yard, and do your dogs stay away from them? All I can imagine right now is Dosia diving in head first and eating them loll. Anyone have any good advice for keeping the dogs away from it?

· Registered
783 Posts
We used to have one in chico and my grandmas house had one too.This was years ago when i was a kid.I dont remember our dogs in it really (we had shelties lol)But the raccoons would always come through and mash all the fish LOL.My grandmas pond was smaller i remember she had it covered by a metal type mesh that kept em' out.I really dont remember if ours was covered or not.Good old short term memory loss LOL

· K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,358 Posts
:rofl: yeah... if its not deep enough, good luck... You can probably teach him to just look at em.. LOL he might start to protect them, give him some fish food out of your hand when you feed then then sit down and watch and correct and undesired behavior over and over until he gets it. .. he may just pick it right up and be cool he took to the kitten well yeah? :rofl: I hope he gets a **** protecting his fish .. get some~ Dosia ;)

· Original Prankster
13,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
LOLL aw dang I didn't even think about the raccoons. Shoot!! Were gunna have to look at home depot for some kind of cover or something. I don't want them little masked bandits stealin all my fish loll. Good advice Stan, I think he should get it, he loves the kitties :) I think if a **** got into the yard Marley would be the first one on it. He's killed so many opossums and rats out in the compost area.

· Registered
783 Posts
Raccoons are my mortal enemy lol ive had a few beefs with them up here.I caught one on our back porch a few summers ago tryin to get into trash.So i grabbed a supersoaker and let him have it LOL he ran off so i figured it was all good and i went to bed.When i woke up to get ready for work in the morning i saw he came back and shredded all the trash and scattered it across the porch and yard so i guess he got the last laugh.Ive had a few more run ins since but that is the most appropriate story i have for this forum.lol

· Premium Member
9,176 Posts
my ex had one in his parents home and the dogs never seemed to bother with it but they did have a mesh over top to keep the herons and ***** out of it, they used the black mesh they use for goal nets. if your dog loves water then that may be an issue , run an electic wire around it for a bit until they learn to leave it alone might work.

· Original Prankster
13,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Raccoons are my mortal enemy lol ive had a few beefs with them up here.I caught one on our back porch a few summers ago tryin to get into trash.So i grabbed a supersoaker and let him have it LOL he ran off so i figured it was all good and i went to bed.When i woke up to get ready for work in the morning i saw he came back and shredded all the trash and scattered it across the porch and yard so i guess he got the last laugh.Ive had a few more run ins since but that is the most appropriate story i have for this forum.lol
:rofl: :rofl: omg i wanna hear the rest of the story now, send me a pm ;)
We're thinking of doing a coi pond. I've known a few ppl that have 'em & hafta worry about raccoons, Blue Herons & other misc wildlife. Basically they just have to replace the coi's but I'm sure there's a way to keep 'em safe.

Can't wait to see pics :D
:) I'll totally post up some pics when we get it all done :)
my ex had one in his parents home and the dogs never seemed to bother with it but they did have a mesh over top to keep the herons and ***** out of it, they used the black mesh they use for goal nets. if your dog loves water then that may be an issue , run an electic wire around it for a bit until they learn to leave it alone might work.
Cool I'll have no look for the netting :)

· K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,358 Posts
Bait the pond to attract a racoon and then let Dosia go .. ;) let him do what he does.. everyone says oh those ***** are mean and rough.. yeah.. to a well bred APBT, bulldog, bandog they are just a squeaky toy. ... simple enough set a live trap out at night and bait it with tuna flavored cat food until you catch it. I still say let the dog go.. LOL

· SASSY MINX
3,481 Posts
Bait the pond to attract a racoon and then let Dosia go .. ;) let him do what he does.. everyone says oh those ***** are mean and rough.. yeah.. to a well bred APBT, bulldog, bandog they are just a squeaky toy. ... simple enough set a live trap out at night and bait it with tuna flavored cat food until you catch it. I still say let the dog go.. LOL
We have a family of raccoons in my neighborhood & one neighbor feeds them :hammer:...

· Original Prankster
13,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:rofl: He'd have a field day with that :) Him and Marley have been out in the compost area catching mice for the last few days, if a **** came in he'd be like, "sweet look at the size of that one" :rofl:
We have a family of raccoons in my neighborhood & one neighbor feeds them :hammer:...
We had a little baby one hanging around on our porch a while back. His momma got hit in the road right in front of our house. I totally fed the little guy ;) We called the wild life rescue to come pick him up.

· SASSY MINX
3,481 Posts
:rofl: He'd have a field day with that :) Him and Marley have been out in the compost area catching mice for the last few days, if a **** came in he'd be like, "sweet look at the size of that one" :rofl:

We had a little baby one hanging around on our porch a while back. His momma got hit in the road right in front of our house. I totally fed the little guy ;) We called the wild life rescue to come pick him up.
That's a little different from feeding an entire family of *****...I don't really care aside from picking up the trash. That's kinda gross ;)

· Original Prankster
13,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea this little one was too small to tear anything up, he just hid under our truck and made little raccoon noises. He was pretty cute, and I totally felt bad for him. I'm sure he grew up and got released some where outside of town.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.