Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kraft string cheese recall will affect dog owners and trainers
1.Life
2.Pets
3.Pet Health

October 26, 2013

Dog owners and trainers beware! Kraft Food Group Incorporated announced late yesterday that they are doing a voluntary recall of a number of their Kraft and Polly O brand string cheeses. Products from one facility had been the source of consumer complaints about early spoilage. The affected products were produced in Campbell , NY and cover a range of string cheese products.

String cheese has long been a "go to" treat for dog trainers and owners. Most dogs love it, it is easy to use for training and it has been a healthier treat choice than many of the other options.

To check your personal stash of string cheese, look for the "Best Buy" dates. the offending products have dates from October 25, 2013 to February 11, 2014. Involved products were shipped throughout the United States but none went to Canada. These dates can be found on the bottom of the packaging.

The exact and complete product listing can be found here. Most dogs won't have eaten the jalapeno varieties but their owners may have some of that along with the part skim plain versions used for training.

Consumers should return their cheese products to the store where they purchased it for a full refund or exchange. You can also contact Kraft Foods Consumer Relations at 1-800-816-9432 between 9 am and 6 pm (Eastern).

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Why anyone would give their dog those? I don't even eat them myself. It is all processed cheese.

Cheese coming from CAFO animals is never good for us.
because its easy to toss in your pocket and when a stick lasts you an hour on a walk, its cost saving and I love them myself. Jeesh ;) lol Nothing is good for us anymore. All meat plants are owned by the same 5 companies. I try for local, but sometimes you gotta do what you can afford. I make most of Mels treats, the string cheese is good in a pinch.

thanks for the warning Doug!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Jeesh ;) lol Nothing is good for us anymore.
Yep. At one time I lived in complete ignorance and it was a true bliss.
Unfortunately any non organic cheese comes from very sick cows which are fed with BGH and antibiotics. If you add that to all the rest you feed yourself and our pets....it is absolutely awful that we cannot eat in freedom without studying each food content. I gave up meats and cheese because I could not afford organic but I did not want to eat that crap at cost of my health. Hell I loved cheese so much, I decided that no way I was adding extra estrogens to my body. My mom getting colon cancer was for me a wake up call along with others who either survived or perished.

All more eat plants are owned by the same 5 companies.
Indeed. Follow the money and greed trail.....
.... but sometimes you gotta do what you can afford.
Well you have to evaluate if that is something you really need. Now in all truth both pets and owners do not need "treats"

I make most of Mels treats
....that is the smart way to do it...like if you make jerky out of game meat/fish.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
So wait.. spoiled cheese is bad for dogs? lol

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
unfortunately my boy needs treats because I didn't know how to properly train my dog when I got him years ago. He is not motivated by love alone, so I do what I gotta do. So yeah, treats ARE required on our walks. All cheese is pasteurized in the states, not sure where you are located. BJ's doesn't sell organic string cheese. I use buckwheat or potato flour to make biscuits and dehydrate liver, sweet potatoes, green beans etc. When I run out and don't have money to make more right away, string cheese is the best alternative out there. I would never want to live dairy and meat free, ugh that would be horrible! Good for you for making the decision for yourself just don't knock others who choose (or have no real choice) to live differently than you do.

So wait.. spoiled cheese is bad for dogs? lol
bahahaha apparently! Although the stinkier the cheese the more my boy loves it. I cant keep him away from a good feta. I am guessing it what is causing it to spoil early that's bad, not really the bad cheese.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Idk.. Ive eaten spoiled string cheese one time lol not too terrible

the little pack was all puffed up lol

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
haha I tried, one was expired and found in the back of the fridge, the smell when I opened it prevented me from continuing lol. There IS a limit hahaha

·
Banned
5,496 Posts
unfortunately my boy needs treats because I didn't know how to properly train my dog when I got him years ago. He is not motivated by love alone, so I do what I gotta do. So yeah, treats ARE required on our walks. All cheese is pasteurized in the states, not sure where you are located. BJ's doesn't sell organic string cheese. I use buckwheat or potato flour to make biscuits and dehydrate liver, sweet potatoes, green beans etc. When I run out and don't have money to make more right away, string cheese is the best alternative out there. I would never want to live dairy and meat free, ugh that would be horrible! Good for you for making the decision for yourself just don't knock others who choose (or have no real choice) to live differently than you do.

bahahaha apparently! Although the stinkier the cheese the more my boy loves it. I cant keep him away from a good feta. I am guessing it what is causing it to spoil early that's bad, not really the bad cheese.
He must have that amish lick on his milk and cheese.... then again that is illegal. So he must be amish. But then hes on the internet.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good for you for making the decision for yourself just don't knock others who choose (or have no real choice) to live differently than you do.
I wasn't. I assume people don't know and should be informed before making the choice. I didn't know those things before.
Being pasteurized has nothing to do with what I was saying. All commercial meats and dairies are pumped with bovine growth hormones, estrogens and antibiotics. I am not telling you NOT to eat it. I am telling you that in a log run is unhealthy that's all. And yes I have the right to "knock others" for their choices just like others have the right to "knock me" for my choice....is fine...

·
Banned
5,496 Posts
No one knocked you for anything. No1 wants to hear the same comments every vegan or vegetarian or health nut says. There is plenty of information on all that out there and you shouldn't assume or decide to shove it down ppls throats. You went completely off topic to stroke your little health ego.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Yep. I know exactly how unhealthy and antibiotic/growth hormone laden my food is.. still eat it and it tastes damn good! MMMMMMMM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts