Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A "pit bull law" is being discussed at the Policy, Procedure and Legal Committee meeting TONIGHT. Per the article, any change to the law must go to a public hearing, which has not been scheduled at this time.

Please send your POLITE, RESPECTFUL and INFORMATIVE letters of opposition to the Terrebonne Parish officials listed below.

Terrebonne Parish Council
8026 Main Street
Suite 600
Houma, LA 70360
Phone: (985) 873-6519
Fax: (985) 873-6521

Parish Council E-mail Quicklist
[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

(Only the relevant portion of the article is included below)

Published: Sunday, February 20, 2011 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Saturday, February 19, 2011 at 9:42 p.m.

-- Pit-bull law. Terrebonne Parish Councilman Billy Hebert, who represents Bayou Cane and Broadmoor, researched the possibility of a breed-specific dog law after a 4-year-old was mauled last month in Houma. The issue will be discussed at the Policy, Procedure and Legal Committee meeting at 6:15 p.m. Monday. Any change to parish law must also go to a public hearing, which has not been scheduled in this case, according to council documents.

Parish Attorney Courtney Alcock drafted a set of rules, similar to those used in other Louisiana parishes, that would require pit bulls and other pit breeds to be housed in a fence or structure at least 6 feet high that children cannot enter. If the dog is outside that structure or the owner's premises, it must be restrained by a strong leash or chain and muzzled or have another device to restrict it from biting a person or other animal.

These laws require the owner or keeper to have a license from parish animal-control officials and show proof of at least $100,000 of liability insurance to cover any damage or injuries caused by the dog. The owner must also permanently ink or tattoo a registration number to the dog's inner ear and post signs "warning that there is a vicious dog on the premises," the proposed law says.

Council considers museum expansion, injection wells | HoumaToday.com

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
[Attachment(s) from Jodi Preis included below]

Terrebonne Parish Council members are considering a new law for "vicious dogs." The parish attorneys drafted rules and gave them to the council last week.

The rules are specific to "pit bulls" (i.e., any dog with the appearance of a pit bull), and would require owners to obtain insurance and muzzle their dogs when not in their home or locked kennel. Thanks to Mary for providing the draft ordinance (which is attached).

Please continue to send your POLITE, RESPECTFUL and INFORMATIVE letters of opposition to the Terrebonne Parish officials listed below. Please also include suggestions and viable alternatives for their consideration, as well.

Terrebonne Parish Council
8026 Main Street
Suite 600
Houma, LA 70360
Phone: (985) 873-6519
Fax: (985) 873-6521

Parish Council E-mail Quicklist
[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Thanks...I made a note and let "my people" know Suzanne

Reactions: apbtmom76

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's awesome Suzanne :D I am glad you let ya peeps know :p

·
Registered
795 Posts
Ugh, I just heard about this yesterday.

It's so discouraging.

Not to mention that's only about an hour and a half away from me!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts