Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· The Blue Razor
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lancaster -- The Lancaster adopted an ordinance that provides for stiff penalties for owners of "potentially dangerous" and "vicious" dogs, particularly those believed to be favored by gang members and used for intimidation.

The ordinance also would require spaying and neutering of all varieties of pit bulls and Rottweilers, including mutts that have "predominant physical characteristics" of those breeds, the Los Angeles Times reported Monday.

"I want gangs out of Lancaster," Mayor R. Rex Parris told The Times in a recent interview. "I want to make it uncomfortable for them to be here. Anything they like, I want to take it away from them. I want to deliberately harass them."

Lancaster joins a growing list of Los Angeles County municipalities that have adopted laws aimed at curbing canine populations, but goes a step further by specifically trying to identify dogs that are "potentially dangerous" or "vicious," according to The Times.

California law allows local authorities to target specific breeds for spaying and neutering, but specific breeds cannot officially be branded vicious. Under the Lancaster ordinance, however, a hearing officer could deem an individual dog to be potentially dangerous or vicious.

If an impounded dog was cleared for release, its owner would have to pay for the animal to be licensed, fitted with a microchip and vaccinated.

A fine of up to $500 would be leveled for each offense committed by a potentially dangerous dog and up to $1,000 per offense for a vicious dog. Additionally, the owner of a vicious dog could be prohibited from possessing any dog for up to three years.

· The Blue Razor
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you think ?

Yep for sure, this guy has no right to do this.He might as well say only certain races can live in lancaster.He's directly pointing out 2 breeds that are very well known. He is tryin to take our rights away from us as citizens.I think everybody needs to tell me how they feel about this, this is one reason i dont wanna register my dog with the city.Anybody else with me?

· Registered
255 Posts
well...ive been in lancaster a LOT, and lemme tell you its not the most safe place on earth. Now I can understand doing w/e it takes to get rid of gangs, and I do know for a fact that these gang members have like 90% pit. Heres my prob, for one...what is the fine for? Just if they get loose, you get smacked with a 1000 dollar fine? I mean, they shouldnt be running loose in the first place, but yes it is excessive. and 2nd, does this guy not realize that the people hes trying to get rid of HAVE money? Its not like 1000 dollars will make them leave or quit having dogs, thats just stupid to assume.

also, just found this....sounds like maybe its a misunderstanding. The ordinance passed requires spay neuter of those two breeds. I dont have as much of a problem with that, I think we dont need any more BYB as it is.

http://stopbsl.com/2009/01/16/lancaster-ca-vicious-dog-law-sails-through-1st-vote-bsl-proposed/

· Registered
905 Posts
This is hilarious!! You cant get rid of gangs by taking stuff away from them. They break the law anyways, the only thing they are doing is making law abiding citizens victims and forcing them to break the law if they want to keep something they rightfully own in the first place.

· Registered
1,702 Posts
Since I live in Lancaster it directly affects me... somewhat. My dog is licensed, microchipped, and vaccinated. As far as them "deeming" my dog vicious, good luck. My boy is not DA at all, so far, and definitely not HA. I think the most this oridinance is going to do, is keep the supposed gang members off the streets with their dogs during the day when AC is patrolling around. They aren't going to accomplish much, because if a gang member has a dog and gets pulled over/questioned about it, he/she is simply going to lie about their information, and then go get another pup from craigslist.

So in the meantime, they could attempt to get me to neuter my boy, but will have to prove that he is "vicious while being unprovoked".

· Registered
1,704 Posts
they will have a hard time enforcing all of it they passed it here (we moved) but they only thing it did was make the gang memebers just let thier dogs loose in the streets. They claimed they were gonna go door to door but did they NO and I still see people walking thier pits around the neighborhood Nothing has changed except the resp. owners had to pay alot more money to keep thier pits it's a damn shame too.............:flush:

· Registered
1,702 Posts
What the city of Lancaster needs to do is neuter the gang members.
Yup, and they even suggested that to the mayor, and he replied something to the effect, "If I could, I would"

The worse thing is that I hope other mayors don't follow his method of thinking and use the same lame reason to implement it in other cities.

His goal of "I want gangs out of Lancaster" will never happen.

· Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Yup, and they even suggested that to the mayor, and he replied something to the effect, "If I could, I would"

The worse thing is that I hope other mayors don't follow his method of thinking and use the same lame reason to implement it in other cities.

His goal of "I want gangs out of Lancaster" will never happen.
The city of Lancaster is dealing with their gang issue the way our country is dealing many other issues. They're enacting new laws or ordinances to dance around the real problem. We don't need new laws we need the politicians to enforce the laws that are currently on record. JMO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.