Go Pitbull Forums banner

Large open lumps forming on lower leg?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  calonm89 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys first post here so forgive me if i mess up! So my male pitbull is just around 3 years old now. Hes an indoor/outdoor dog. Mostly stays inside though. About a month ago we noticed that he had been licking his leg quite alot. When we looked we noticed two rather large blister like lumps on his leg. So we kept an eye on them thinking maybe they would go away as we discouraged him from licking when we noticed it. A couple of weeks afterward they seem to have gotten a bit larger and to this day look about the same. The layer of skin is open and we are assuming thats where hes been obsessively licking while we are not around. Today however, we have noticed a large third lump on his paw, somewhat between the toes and on top of them. We are definitely getting concerned for him and would like to know if anyone could give us some knowledge on this. We live out in the country about 30 minutes to the nearest vet. We have used this vet in the past with our pitbull and our pomeranian. They arent very helpful and seem very money hungry. Our last visit to get my pitbull neutered, they put him on the table and injected him to put him to sleep and as he was still standing, dozing off, the vet and his assistant took their hands off of him and turned around to get something, letting him flop down onto the table and then rolled off head first onto the tile floor. It was very hard to watch that happen. So needless to say, we dont want to go back there. If you guys deem it necessary to get him to a vet, we will definitely look at our options out of town. We are hoping this may be cured with some otc ointments or antibiotics. Thanks in advance! Here is a photo of the two lumps on his back leg.

See less See more
#3 ·
Ok if thats an infection we will get him to a vet as soon as possible. I hope my post didnt give the impression that we are neglecting him. We were thinking they may be some sort of tumor due to the fact that he doesn't seem bothered by them during usual activities. The only time he licks is when hes laying down. He stays active. Runs and jumps and plays like normal. We dont have a very good income so i wanted to ask here first to avoid a big vet bill for something that could possibly be doctored ourselves.

#5 ·
Joe is right, need a vet to take a close look. skin lesions can be caused by so many things. but a secondary infection could turn a simple fix into more complicated situation.
in the meanwhile, try not to let him lick the area. bacteria like warm moist broken skin.
good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.